Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Too Much Airflow?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

Default Too Much Airflow?

So i just purchased a KM, and still haven't gotten a good smoke out of it ever since i changed the way i poked holes. I switched to a method of as many as possible tiny tiny saftey pin holes. I also spent a lot more time breaking up the tobacco, making sure all the leaves were pulled apart and exposed. Now when i go to smoke, either the smoke is very thin, and burns so damn easily. Even when it burns the smokes incredibly thin. Ive tried anywhere from half a ql to two full ones, windcover and no windcover, and just cant get a good smoke. And unfortunately, i can't seem to recreate my old methods anymore. So is it possible that this is giving me too much airflow through the tobacco? Or, any other suggestions?
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle
Default Re: Too Much Airflow?

use more heat, maybe you have a leak? i noticed that with my KM there was a leak in between the grommet. changed grommets and it helped tremendously.
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

What type of bowl are you using?
Assuming its a standard egyptian (Upgrade to a vortex... or phunnel) then a quicklight should be enough. Around 12 holes around the first circle. Then the second circle about 6 holes, then about 3 holes around the middle & none in the center. Poked with a toothpick.
Should work well.

Water level should be appropriate as well.
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

I found that when i bought my syrian, it took me a few weeks to dial in the best combination of coals, packing, water ect to get the best smoke.

buy some starbuzz and try learning with that, a monkey can make starbuzz smoke.
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
I found that when i bought my syrian, it took me a few weeks to dial in the best combination of coals, packing, water ect to get the best smoke.

buy some starbuzz and try learning with that, a monkey can make starbuzz smoke.

Hookah smoking monkey? I want a picture.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

There ya go...
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

Thanks guys, maybe i don't have the water level right either? Ive just stuck to the stem in the standard inch of water. If anything should i try more or less water?And And maybe not breaking up the tobacco as much? I really dont know at this point. And no, I dont have any leaks, and i can still make my qt smoke like a beast, so is this just something im going to have to get used to with the KM?
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmmmaaaa View Post
Thanks guys, maybe i don't have the water level right either? Ive just stuck to the stem in the standard inch of water. If anything should i try more or less water?And And maybe not breaking up the tobacco as much? I really dont know at this point. And no, I dont have any leaks, and i can still make my qt smoke like a beast, so is this just something im going to have to get used to with the KM?
No once you figure out the right combo you'll be throwing out storm clouds from your km.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Brutus
Hookah Nut

Water level should be fine.. hmm..

Try not breaking the tobacco up THAT much, slightly fewer, slightly bigger holes.. More heat, and possibly a windcover aswell..

If that doesn't produce huge clouds, i dont know what will :S
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Just give it time. Everyone has their own unique way, some things work for some, which might not work for you. Just try smoking like 1-2 bowls a day, make sure to experiment with different things.
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:33 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Glos gave me a tip for my Egyptian bowl that worked great.

Sprinkle the tobacco like normal, be sure it about 2-4mm below the rim.
Pull your foil tight, use 1 layer of foil, use a toothpick and poke 1 ring of 6-8 holes about half way between the rim and the center. Poke 1 final hole in the center.

I just got done with a bowl of Nakhla peach and it works great. Of course I'm using an MZ not a KM.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Personally it sounds like the tobacco might be packed too high and is touchy the foil and getting too much heat. Try packing a little less tobacco and see where that puts you. It could also be that the foil is sagging and causing the same problem. What kind of foil are you using?
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Even if you setup your bowl poorly it would still give you thick smoke, it would just burn fast... what your problem is is an air leak, basicly your not getting enought pull through the bowl because there is air coming in from somewhere else... Next time your smoking blow out like your purging and look at all the parts of the hookah, near the hose, and around the base... you will see smoke come out if you have a leak, if you don't see the smoke its probably the gromet on top, you can either replace it, or use electrical tape under it to make it fit tighter...
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
esteban
Hookah Pro

Can you lift your stem without it detaching from the base?
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

So i smoked out of my QT today, and it was amazing. Then i went to smoke out of the KM. Not half as good. So i know its not my bowl/foil/coal/heat/whatever else technique. I'm almost positive there arent any leaks; smoke only comes out of the purge valve but i will give it a very good look over. I shouldnt have to pack the bowl any differently than i do for the QT right? And if there aren't any leaks i really dont know what else to try
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:17 PM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

How many and what kind of coals are you using?
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Stuart123321
Hookah Nut

all i ever do is place the tobacco in the head close to the rim but not over so you dont over pack it and put it in loosley. then i use a tooth pick to poke holes and i use one ql, smokes great
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

smoking the bowl should be exactly the same as with the mya, packing doesn't change regardless of what hookah your using... try putting the grommet from your mya on there if it will fit and see if it smokes better then, Im almost positive its an air leek, if that doesn't work try switching out your hoses too, that might be the problem... If the problem is still there try diff water levels, you may just have to much of an empty area and smoke can dissipate if thats the case... try more water

Last edited by cbyerspace; July 10th, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

Well, I may have figured it out, with some disaster in the process. I thought the hookah may have been leaking from the bowl grommet, so as i tried shoving it on very tightly, the bowl literally shattered in my hands. Im glad i bought extra egyptians. So i found out that my hose is nowhere near airtight, its leaking from where the two mouth tips go into the cardboard handles. Any tips? I was thinking hot glue.
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmmmaaaa View Post
Well, I may have figured it out, with some disaster in the process. I thought the hookah may have been leaking from the bowl grommet, so as i tried shoving it on very tightly, the bowl literally shattered in my hands. Im glad i bought extra egyptians. So i found out that my hose is nowhere near airtight, its leaking from where the two mouth tips go into the cardboard handles. Any tips? I was thinking hot glue.
Yea, hot glue, electrical/duct tape. Whatever you can find.
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

hot glue should work wonders... I don't have that to my disposal so I stick to electrical tape on everything, lol... But for now, It wouldn't hurt to use your mya hose, it just wont be as nice as it could be... The draw wont be as nice but the pull should be great.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Buy yourself a Razan or a Nammor
Old July 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
jimmmmaaaa
Hookah Nut

Problem Solved! Using the mya hose worked flawlessly. Im so happy. I haven't fixed the km hose yet, but man does this thing smoke well, even with the mya. Thanks for the help!
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

I have a DIY on how to fix a KM hose, that unfortunately still isn't posted/edited. But, remove the mouth piece of the hose then clear all the excess glue with something sharp, either a razor blade or x-acto knife. Once that is done buy some plastic epoxy that you can find at lowe's or any other hardware store, I used Loctite's plastic epoxy. This stuff is really strong so just apply it to the outside of the mouth piece and on the plastic surface on the hose, while trying not to get it towards the center where the airflow is. (apply the glue with something thing, q-tips don't work, so a toothpick or something similar would work great). Push the mouth piece into the hose and hold it there for about a minute or so. Some glue might get forced inside the mouthpiece which will disrupt airflow, so I took a chop stick which was as wide as the gauge of the mouthpiece and pushed it through knocking out any of the excess glue. Let dry for at least 12 hours and your good to go. Hope this helps.
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Im glad you got it working... but In the future I might sugest a nammor or razzon hose, but for now, do what you gotta do... lol
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook