Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

an experiment

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

Default an experiment

so i was thinking... i wonder how smoking hookah effects me physically? im not concerned about the health risks of smoking shisha but im curious all the same.. so what im going to do is smoke a bowl of shisha every day for a week then test myself physically every sunday with a test to see how many pushups i can do in a minute.. im an athletic guy and the last time i timed myself i was at 60 or 70 i cant remember... anyways the week afterward i will not smoke at all and that sunday i will test myself again and check out the results.. i will try to eat the exact same thing the day before each test day to insure that food has nothing to do with my energy output... unless of course anyone here has a better idea of how to test such things..

give me some feedback..
FM
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:40 PM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Default Re: an experiment

well if you do it don't do it right after you smoked... because you do in fact have to give your lungs a chance to recoup...
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
bennybooze
Hookah Newbie

Why not add in your vitals as well. Temperature, blood pressure, pulse rate... hell add in height and weight. All should be simple. You might want to check with a local gym, you might be able to go in and do a simple stress test a few times if you tell them you are doing some research and just want to use a treadmill. Than you can check your vitals and do your pushups and add in how long it takes you to jog a mile or what not. Sounds like it could be interesting. You could get a few people to be subjects with you along with a few control people who don't smoke. Do what ever it is you do and than (this part will suck) do it again after not smoking for a week. Hell if you organize it enough it could turn into a "Super Size Me" type deal. Give your local college a call too they might have a research department willing to give you a hand. I know I have seen some stuff advertised around me for the University Of Michigan looking for hookah smokers.
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:49 PM
brutalmetals
Hookah Newbie

i run like 5ish miles a day and i smoke hookah probably about 4ish times a week. you should probably find something else (like running, mountain climbers, hill suicides). front leaning rest doesnt really cut it as a cardio type exercise, and plus your obviously going to improve it because your going to be consistently working out the same muscle group. you could measure the improvement but like i said front leaning rest isnt a good diagnostic to go by in my opinion
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyerspace View Post
well if you do it don't do it right after you smoked... because you do in fact have to give your lungs a chance to recoup...
definately wasnt going to smoke then excersise right after... as for the treadmill,pulse rate, running mile,, great idea. ill add that in as well....im just afraid of seeing a negative effect here,, i dont want to make hookah into a supersize me situation.. thers nothing wrong with supersizing a meal at micky D's but there is a problem with supersizing it EVERY DAY ALL DAY. too much of anything is a bad thing... my goal is to educate myself and some HP members not alienate them.. i luv hookah and no matter the results of this test.. it wont change.

FM
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:54 PM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

I can tell you exactly what happens to you as you we see your BP go up and the body will begin to compensate due to the increase in nicotine (even trace amounts), vasoconstriction will occur and will last for sometime an hour maybe a little longer. In a weeks time of constant smoking, the body will have change to operate with a decrease in o2 levels in a day's time.

You must realize that it maybe not be substantial differences between week to week as it takes time to tell and alot of variables to conduct an experiment like this. I can give you a complete scientific analysis of lung cap., anatomy, physiology, the bodies reaction to co2 and o2 and it's correspondence to blood. and vital organs. but it will be completely long winded and honestly boring.

Nonetheless im interested in what your findings come up with.
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalmetals View Post
i run like 5ish miles a day and i smoke hookah probably about 4ish times a week. you should probably find something else (like running, mountain climbers, hill suicides). front leaning rest doesnt really cut it as a cardio type exercise, and plus your obviously going to improve it because your going to be consistently working out the same muscle group. you could measure the improvement but like i said front leaning rest isnt a good diagnostic to go by in my opinion
i am planning on adding running to the agenda.. as for the pushups.. they are fine.. i dont do pushups enough for doing them once in a week to improve them much..whatever you inhale sends chemicals and nutrients throughout the blood stream therefore it affects everything not just the cardio vasc.. just my opinion..

FM
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Also, make sure to stay away from carbonated beverages, these will temporarily decrease your lung capacity.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
yehaw4257
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to yehaw4257 Send a message via Yahoo to yehaw4257

you need to run. your not gonna get uch difference outta push-ups
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM
luqyno1
Hookah Nut

Smile Re: an experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyerspace View Post

believe that, i mean training + smoking hookah = very bad combination, make sure you have atleast an hour or two before doing vigourus exercise, otherwise youll feel ya lungs burning
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

going right after you smoke is going to give skewed results since it takes a while for the nicotine and CO to stabilize in your blood.

i would get on a training program for a while before you start messing around with variables, since training will increase your abilities over time you need to get to a point where the training your doing is maintaining your abilities as apposed to increasing them, then you can play with the other variables

-matt
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

haha ok first off folks i already stated that i wasnt relying on pushups alone.. i also never said i was smoking for sure the sunday of testing.. im well aware that soft drinks and smoking right before excersise decreases lung power etc.. i already work out alot.. i pile brush 8 hours a day. afterwards i swim for 2 hours.. the brush piling involves moving and piling big trees after cutting them so that is a physical workout.. swimming is cardio vasc .. so im not your average couch potato i do excercise a bit...just thought id let all you who doubt my knowledge of such things know that im well aware of how to go about this experiment.. but thanks a ton for the feedback keep it coming!

FM
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

with all you do i would just use what you do already and see if you notice any difference from not smoking. personally i feel worse now when i dont smoke, even now that im well past when the craving should go away i just am not as relaxed since im not smoking daily, its probably not really related since im just home for the summer but what ever,

-matt
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
MN_Clouds
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
Also, make sure to stay away from carbonated beverages, these will temporarily decrease your lung capacity.
Whoa. I dont think I would have guessed that. Got any links for this? All I could find were yahoo answers that stated "It decreases lung capacity", but no hard facts

Last edited by MN_Clouds; July 14th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Clouds View Post
Whoa. I dont think I would have guessed that. Got any links for this? All I could find were yahoo answers that stated "It decreases lung capacity", but no hard facts
edjumikated guess but i would assume the carbonation expands your stomach which prevent your lungs from expanding slightly. also the co2 probably gets a bit into your blood stream limiting your o2 saturation but i bet its very minimal on that part. i think once you burp the co2 out your fine

-matt
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

Haven't heard that one before, the carbonated drinks info...
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Idk, i didnt know that not many people knew of that. As a tuba player, i was always working on keeping my lungs up to par by doing resistance breathing exercises everyday, and spending a few minutes taking in a breath and holding till you cant any longer, then breathe out, hold again till you are almost dieing, then breathe in again. And you repeat that a few times over. It prolly killed a few brain cells, but oh well. And, with the pop thing, i was just told this by one of my teachers, not really a credible source, but regardless, it prolly kept me a little healthier even if the effects of drinking carbonated beverages were temporary and minute.

And one other thing. Throughout my senior year of high school, i smoked hookah all the time, and saw no difference in lung capacity.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:41 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

You don't need to worry about anything. I hit the gym hard everyday and haven't noticed any difference, lifting and jogging. Also while swimming I can still hold my breath extremely long. I really don't think hookah has much of a negative impact on your lungs.
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:15 AM
c000weee
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to c000weee Send a message via Yahoo to c000weee

I go to the gym Monday thru Friday for a little over a year now. Smoked bowls right before the gym plenty of times. Still big and not winded : )
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook