Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New to Hookahs... FAIL after FAIL...need adive...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 14th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Ernest_Borgnine
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: New to Hookahs... FAIL after FAIL...need adive...

I'm actually getting some decent smoke now, but I really can't taste a thing.

It's just like I'm smoking hot harsh air.

Even if I don't inhale it, just keep puffing on it. No taste.
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:57 AM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest_Borgnine View Post
I'm actually getting some decent smoke now, but I really can't taste a thing.

It's just like I'm smoking hot harsh air.

Even if I don't inhale it, just keep puffing on it. No taste.
if thats the case, its deffinatly not enough water... experament with more (if it comes up throught the hose its two much, once you find the sweet spot always fill to that area)... put more water in and it wont be as harsh and smoke should be thicker, If there is two much empty space the smoke thins , and if the water level is two low the smoke doesnt cool enough... Try droping in a few ice cubes right now it should raise the water level and make the smoke colder... Plus its said the cold is supost. to make the smoke condense more.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Ernest_Borgnine
Hookah Newbie

Hey thanks for your help cbyerspace!

I put some ice in, and it made the smoke nicer, but still no taste.

I give up for tonight. I'll keep experimenting w/ the water.
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
Uhhh...what...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonix View Post
I think it would be best if we didn't ask
Eh, I guess you don't know who Ernest Borgnine is.
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:20 AM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Hey thanks for your help cbyerspace!

I put some ice in, and it made the smoke nicer, but still no taste.

I give up for tonight. I'll keep experimenting w/ the water.
Some people are more supseptable to the taste than others... I know my girlfriend and her freinds its like biting into fruit were me its more like a faint taste (i have sinus issues thats why, well for me at least)... the trick is pull the smoke over your tounge and blow alittle out your nose, it helps you taste it more...
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Dude I really can't think of what you're doing wrong.

When I got my AF Hookah, they forgot to toss in the ball bearing for the purge valve, which effectively rendered the hookah useless. Also forgot a hose grommet, but you seem to have all that stuff and supposedly the hookah is airtight. Before you put the bowl on, have you covered the top of the stem with your thumb and tried inhaling with the hose? You should be getting zero air.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

How about taking some pics of your setup. It might help everyone here to diagnose the problem.

I agree with Cyber though it sounds like a possible water issue.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
K so I'm smoking right now (or trying to).

Very little smoke, no flavor.

When I go to purge, a little smoke comes out of the valve. If I had a leak, wouldn't it come out someplace else?

This is getting frustrating...
No not necessarily, if you had a leak while smoking you would be sucking in too much air mixed with the smoke and it would be thin. It has to be either a leak, or not enough heat. Try a standard bowl with 3 ashed over coals in a triangle pattern, I would even throw a windcover on just to see if you CAN get decent smoke. That combo should quickly and easily give you very thick smoke, and will get harsh very fast. But it would show you need more heat...........
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

As far as the taste goes. Dont except too much. Its not gonna be like drenching your mouth in sugar and extracts. The flavor mostly depends on the shisha. Also, do you smoke cigarettes, because these will make it harder to detect the taste.

other than that, i still say that it takes time.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

With the phunnel bowl, are you sure you aren't underpacking it? How are you poking your holes? Do you have any over the center hole?
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
Do you have any over the center hole?
QFTMFT, some will say to poke them but i see NO reason to do so (some bowl were made bad and the foil gets sucked down but putting a hole on top just lessens the pull from over the tobacco

-matt
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
luqyno1
Hookah Nut

hmmmm... try giving some more heat, and think about investing in a KM for a thicker downstream, also make sure you have a quality hose, like a nammoor or razan, and DO NOT PACK THE TOBACCO try sprinkling, it so there is a good amount of airflow, also try cleaning out the hole your hose connects to, sometimes manufacture error, can leave bits of metal in these areas and constrict the air flow. some pictures would also us help define the problem

remember everyone in this community is here to help
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Ernest_Borgnine
Hookah Newbie

Cool, thanks everyone!

When I have my next session tonight I'll post some pics. I'm trying not to get discouraged.

I used to go out with this chick who ran a small independant film festival. People would send her submissions to screen.

This one guy made kid of low budget films, and his big starring actor was like a 60-70 year old Ernest Borgnine. They were the sappiest, most family oriented, and cheesily heart-felt movies I have ever seen. Perfect for a Saturday afternoon on the Christian family TV channel.

You know, stuff like a old man befriends a young boy and teaches him lessons about life and nurse back to health a little abandoned deer or something. God they were so bad.

Anyways...

About the taste: Literally, I don't taste any flavor whatsoever. That's what has me so dumbfounded. I don't have a cold or anything, honestly.

Yeah, AF forgot my hose grommet too, but I have a few grommets from various hoses/bowls and I have a couple that seem to work well.

Used to smoke cigarettes, but I haven't had one in a while. I always smoked them off and on. I have a humidor and smoke luxury cigars occasionally.

Last time I packed the phunnel I did the hole pattern from a video on youtube about how to pack a phunnel. The one made by a girl, I think from these forums. But I have been trying, bigger, smaller, less, more holes each time.

I might be underpacking, I guess. But I wouldn't think that would matter *that* much. I'm usually concerned about not wanting the tobacco to touch the foil. But I'm not only putting a tiny bit in there... Just below the rim. Also, tried poking a hole in the middle, and also not poking a hole in the middle.

I've got a few different hoses, which I'm wondering if they just need to be broken in. I'm going to check where the hose connects for metal. I'm also going to tape up my grommets next session to try and sort out that possibility.

Pics comming tonight!

Eric

Last edited by Ernest_Borgnine; July 14th, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:26 PM
ali2009
Hookah Newbie

try flaking tha flavor in and wive a pin tidy it up
make sure u put holesin tha foil
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
wacawaca
Hookah Newbie

i had a problem like that when i first started try packing the bowl poking the holes and then taking the tinfoil off and mixing up the shisha to make sure it isn't clogging your holes in the bowl. just a thought
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali2009 View Post
try flaking tha flavor in and wive a pin tidy it up
make sure u put holesin tha foil
wha??
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Personally with my expirience with AF is that some of the juice is very thin and is closer to watery then it is like honey and the juice tends to fall to the bottom of the bowl, which means since you use a phunnel its falling to the bottom of the bowl and tangiers bowls have a tendency if you dont manage the holes and heat properly it will only burn the top shisha. That means that the juicy, good, flavorful shisha is left at the bottom of the bowl untouched. Try sprinkling it as lightly as you possibly can so that the heat penetrates to the bottom parts of the shisha. This is the exact reason I use a standard glazed clay bowl so that the heat transfers through the bottom and heats the juicy tobacco. Try a standard bowl if you have one or if you don't then sprikle it as lightly as possible. Good luck bro.
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM
NCBlacksmith
Hookah Newbie

have you just tried letting the coals sit for about 5 min, this will get a good smoke point for the shisha, also set it up and before you put the coals on try putting the whole thing together and packing your bowl and everything then put your hand over your bowl then suck through the hose to test your suction. you can put a wind cover over your coals and bowl to heat it up but don't keep it their for more than the first 5-8 min to get it started. shoot me back if this works, i have also used poster puddy to seal my grommets
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBlacksmith View Post
have you just tried letting the coals sit for about 5 min, this will get a good smoke point for the shisha, also set it up and before you put the coals on try putting the whole thing together and packing your bowl and everything then put your hand over your bowl then suck through the hose to test your suction. you can put a wind cover over your coals and bowl to heat it up but don't keep it their for more than the first 5-8 min to get it started. shoot me back if this works, i have also used poster puddy to seal my grommets
poster puddy sounds like a good idea but i would want to see the MSDS on it before i used it on the bowl grommet

-matt
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:44 AM
TheAverageJoe
Hookah Newbie

well I'm stumped after all this advice people have already given. I'm going to just fall under the conclusion that you are taking weak baby breaths and that's your problem :P
-I think it might be the way you are packing the bowl you might be over compensating the space between the tobacco and the foil. now this is not how you should do it normally, but for troubleshooting purposes maybe you should try over packing your bowl fairly loosely (as to not let the juice clog the openings). this will lead to a rather smoke time as the hookah will start burning fast, but if you don't get a decent amount of smoke through this method then I guess you can rule out the bowl as your problem.
--- Weak baby breaths :P
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Ghostc4
Hookah Newbie

How long are you letting the coals sit on the bowl before you try to smoke it? How long do you give it be for you quit?
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Genie
Hookah Nut

I always have to use three coals to get it going, then take one off.

What kind of foil are you using, that might be an issue. I get pretty good smoke from three layers of dollar store (nearly tissue paper thin) foil Depending on what I'm using I might use one or even two layers of HD foil.

With AF, I like the cheap cheap foil, three layers.

Are you cutting a big enough piece of foil to wrap your bowl down at least half way if not all the way to the neck? If too much air is getting in from under the foil, you may not be getting enough heat to bake your shisha.

A wind cover is very helpful, what you may need though is merely to shield your bowl. I make a sort of column out of HD foil that stands up about 12 inches so that there's a three to four inch shield of foil around my bowl to protect it from air circualtion, we seem to have very good air circulation in the house so I have to shield it.

How are you storing your shisha? Not in the fridge, I hope?

Also, if you are using too much ice in your vase you're going to kill the flavor. Tepid to cool water works best for me.

Where did you buy your shisha? Make sure you didn't get some counterfeit stuff.

Also, are you making sure your coals are fully lit before putting them on the bowl?

Are you using a thin, crappy hose? Forgot what hose you are using, if you said. A hose that is too narrow will restrict smoke and, thus, flavor.

With AF, after packing I always fluff it good with a toothpick to ensure plenty of air pockets and poke a few holes through the shisha down to the bottom to insure heat gets all the way through.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

On a Tangiers small phunnel bowl with a windcover, I always use three CH nats or Shishaco Nats standing on it's sides. In like a triangle layout. Using three on the flat side burns too much of the tobacco for me also from setting it on its sides the coals last a bit longer. But you still need to rotate them. I also always keep the windcover on throughout the whole session =]
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook