Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

HOBOHOOKAH vs. the WITCH

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM
floFSpro
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to floFSpro
Default HOBOHOOKAH vs. the WITCH

So i bought a hobohookah about 2 months ago, and it is great! I bring it everywhere i go just in case there is a need to smoke. So its great on the go, but i paid $60 for it. Did i pay too much??

I just heard about the "witch" hookah from another post and i did some research on it. It only costs $18 if its not on sale! Thats $42 less than the hobohookah. The "witch" also seems so have more features, such as a release valve and a tray! (i added my own tray to my hobohookah from my mya qt and it worked fine...so its not that big of a deal)

So now i am confused!! Does anyone have an answer for me!?
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: HOBOHOOKAH vs. the WITCH

i havent heard anything good about the witch personally but i have heard some good things about the HH. bilal brought one to a hookah bar to try out and it appears to work very well but its really too damn expensive for what it is. 60 bucks for a stem, bowl, hose, bag, and not to mention the packaging is nice and says hobohookah. i would rather buy a nice KM from bilal rather than buy a HH. on another forum it said how to make a HHH (Hand Held Hookah) and it only cost roughly 15 bucks to make! worked damn well and dirt cheap to make with a little more modifications and some rubber you could make it work like the HH and fit on any bottle.
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Some one please post a link to "the witch"
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
rowland
Hookah Newbie

you can find it here

http://www.thehookah.com/product.php?productid=16305
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM
High_Society
Hookah Newbie

I never heard about the witch before, but the hobo hookah "looks" more durable to me. I havnt seen either up close in person, Im just basing it from photos.
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Even though I've read a lot of good reviews on the hobohookah, I'm just not into it at all...And I agree that for $60 you can get a good egyptian or a decent Mya which will not only look better but problaby also perfrom better than the hobo...I wouldn't pay $60 for what is basically a ghetto rigged component that shuvs into any bottle. To each his own I guess. I think smoking hookah is a social thing, and as such, the hookah itself should be a beautiful piece to make conversation about. It gives people something more to talk about, such as the origin, history, and culture. You can't talk about any of that with the hobo.
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:50 PM
rayver
Hookah Nut

I don't know if you guys are aware of this but the hobohookah has NO blow off valve
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

I will buy this and i will review it =]
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:55 PM
floFSpro
Hookah Newbie

so, i researched for a little while. And, i found that the best thing about the hobohookah is that it is washable! This is a great feature! Also i read that the "witch" is made in china somewhere! (look under reviews in this forum in the product reviews). I couldn't tell you where the hobohookah is made, but i can tell you that there it is definitely quality!!

I love my hobohookah and I'm sorry i questioned it!

I agree the rig isn't the most beautiful one i have seen, but when i travel i hate worrying that my more impressive hookah could be damaged!

i think there is only so much that can be said about the looks of a hookah. As far as origin and history, i may never know everything. And i find it very difficult finding people to smoke with that are actually interested! I need more informed smokers!
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
rayver
Hookah Nut

Just because it is made in china doesn't mean anything. sure a lot of crap is made over there but a lot of good stuff is to. Mya's for example are made in china... i'm sure we can find more than a handful of MYA lovers
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
floFSpro
Hookah Newbie

yeah, im sorry... i didnt mean that nothing good comes out of China. Just that this procuct may not be a great one from China.

"I tried the witch out a second time with a big 1 3/4 liter vodka bottle and it sealed just fine. Such a large bottle also makes for a much more stable base so if you plan on using this thing i'd avoid smaller bottles. The petrol smell makes the hose unusable in my opinion which is a real problem as standard hoses won't go into it. Perhaps hookah king cares a hose which doesn't stink that will fit. The gaskets seem to be losing their stench after 6 washes so perhaps the witch will one day stop making my shisha smell like oil/rubber. Frankly, the stench plus the heat of the smoke makes the thing unusable in my opinion so I threw it out." By Hajo Flettner (in product reviews>hookah pipes>THe Witch)

Old November 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

The Witch is fine as trash can filler but good for not much else. I've tried the Hobo thing and frankly I don't see the point of the concept and I think in practice it's got some draw backs. I'd rather use a real narghile but if you like the concept, don't miss having a purge valve, don't mind falling ash a short stem and put up with a less then stable base and a hotter then average smoke the hobo is for you. No doubt it is far better then the witch but neither suits me.
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
The Witch is fine as trash can filler but good for not much else. I've tried the Hobo thing and frankly I don't see the point of the concept and I think in practice it's got some draw backs. I'd rather use a real narghile but if you like the concept, don't miss having a purge valve, don't mind falling ash a short stem and put up with a less then stable base and a hotter then average smoke the hobo is for you. No doubt it is far better then the witch but neither suits me.
Lol hajo i love you man,

the concept of turning any glass bottle into a vase is pretty neat.. atleast i think so. The hobo is cool but ah man these guys kill it with the price and no blow valve. but hey i love my egyptian.
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

If it was $30 shipped, then I could definetly see it being more popular and semi-efficient... I still wouldn't buy it but that's just me... Then again, there are PLENTY of tall and beautiful hookahs that you could buy ranging from $50 and up... So why bother with something so unattractive and "ghetto"...If you're worried about carrying it or protecting it, then get a functional hookah bag. Or buy a Mya which usually comes with a hard carrying case. I've never had a problem with lugging around my tall hookahs to parties and outdoor places. I don't think that the hobo provides such a greater ease of transportation. Transporting hookahs in a bag or case is easy as hell.
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:13 AM
floFSpro
Hookah Newbie

well now i feel like I am an idiot for buying something that has made me happy! I have a mya with a case but its just not as easy to transport...i guess im done defending the hobohookah...i have been shut down and put to shame

on the other hand, i have been researching another hookah for a few days. most likely i will buy a syrian as the reviews suggests their value, hope this suits all
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by speel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Lol hajo i love you man,

the concept of turning any glass bottle into a vase is pretty neat.. atleast i think so. The hobo is cool but ah man these guys kill it with the price and no blow valve. but hey i love my egyptian.
You can tell Iím a big fan of non-traditional rigs. Still I do have to give the hobo some credit in that it is easy to clean and draws better then any mini rig ( which is not saying much) and it is rugged. Of course I am not the target market so you've got to take what I say with a pinch of salt. Still, you simply can't get around the fact that a short stem like the hobo will give you a lot more CO and heat then a full sized rig. Making a foil ashery and taping in place is a hassle and looks like crap.

I don't see the big deal about portability in that plenty of case and bags are out on the market which will protect a narghile for any trip other then air. When I travel by air I gorget about my narghiles and just smoke cigars or pipes. As to cleaning I admit that the hobo is the easiest rig to clean Iíve seen but given that a through cleaning takes me 15 minutes itís not something Iím to concerned with.
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by floFSpro
well now i feel like I am an idiot for buying something that has made me happy! I have a mya with a case but its just not as easy to transport...i guess im done defending the hobohookah...i have been shut down and put to shame

on the other hand, i have been researching another hookah for a few days. most likely i will buy a syrian as the reviews suggests their value, hope this suits all
If you like the hobo then it was good you got it and if mobility is a big deal for you then I suppose I can see why you got it. Still, I got a great Syrian from J & R for $65 and I can find plenty of very nice Egyptians in that price range so I guess it all comes down to how big a deal portability is to you. I certainly wouldn't want to make anyone feel bad about purchasing the hobo but it just doesn't strike me as a good value. I think i'd rather have a hobo then some mini Chinese rig so I think I see where you are coming from.
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Quote:

Don't feel bad, live and learn. If something brings you happiness, then enjoy it.

Now you know next time to do more research before buying.

The HH seems alittle better than the Witch, but according to reviews. But as many pointed out, the price tag is a major factor. Many here enjoy traditional rigs and find the shape/design of the HH less than attractive. But, I can see in certain occusians (sp) it could be useful... if it wasn't so $$.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

FLO- ALL THAT MATTERS IS YOU LIKE YOUR HOOKAH. It doesn't matter what ANYBODY else thinks about it. Do not feel stupid about your purchase. I think it's neat. I personally would buy one if they were cheaper. I think it's better for parties and drunk people because they are clumsy and i'm worried about damaging my expensive rigs.

Some people hate my star gate, others HATE mya. It's all in what YOU like. If you like it, then by all means be happy with it. One mans trash is anothers treasure.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

K.K. is totally right on this one. All I can add is that I hope you get a well built traditional rig and get years of goos service from it and the hobo.
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:

No please, don't think anyone's shutting you down or putting you to shame... I as well as other memebrs are just stating our OPINIONS on the hobo...but in the end, you gotta do what makes you happy and screw everyonelse...take what everyone is telling you as a grain of sand. Make sure you purchase what you will end up liking, not what everyone wants you to get. Happy Smoking, oh and don't forget to write a review on whichever hookah you end up getting...
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:35 PM
floFSpro
Hookah Newbie

thanks everyone for the replies! i do enjoy my other hookahs and i will definitely put up a review of the new hookah when i have time to buy it!
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Martello
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Martello

Can anyone post some pics?
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

I don't think that you can really compare the Hobo to a regular hookah. I have a Mya and an Egyptian that I still use sometimes, especially at home, but for parties and bringing it to bars/or abroad the Hobo is really the only way to go.

The Hobo was made from the belief the hookah is first and foremost a social experience. It brings people together. We use to always bring people back to our apartment, smoke hookah, chat and down few beers to end a long night. But we didn't want to be restricted as to where you could bring a hookah. Mike and I (the guys behind Hobocans) are big travelers and partiers, and we developed the HoboHookah with that kind of lifestyle in mind. Traditional Hookahs look cool, and make a very personal statement, which is really cool. But the Hobo is just about enjoying the tobacco with friends, anywhere, without worrying if the hookah is going to break in transit or at the party, which has happened to us a few times. That always ruins the night

Overall, the Hobo doesn't have to be your only hookah. Its just a really great hookah for parties and traveling, that also smokes great and cleans up nice.

You guys should check the Vendor Deals section of the Hookah Pro forum, we have a couple deals right now to give you guys a break. We'll also be coming out with a few other models in the spring, which will compete more directly with the low priced Witch. The new models wont be as nice as the current one, but still pretty darn good. The current Hobo is really our full vision: Durable, easy to clean, great smoking transportable hookah. Thats what it is.

As for pics, I dont have a pic of the witch in use (only fired mine up a couple times, due to the same experience that Hajo had). Here is a pic with a few Hobos in it. The tall one is a 5L Van Gogn display bottle with a tray we added (it was from our Egyo hookah) and the large Tangiers bowl. The other bottles are 1.75Ls.
[img width=450 height=601]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2101/1780805009_7b608d3ef5_o.jpg[/img]
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook