Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Mini Mya Acrylic Rust

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
bennybooze
Hookah Newbie

Default Mini Mya Acrylic Rust

I have been washing out my stem after just about every use. I don't know if it is all the little bumps and stuff or what but I notice my stem is getting one hell of a rust build up today. It is so much that I pulled out the old King Of Hookah Petite that has been on a shelf to smoke until I can figure this out.

I have read up on removing rust and know that I am in for a challenge, but I do love this hookah.

I will take any tips on removing the rust as well as any tips on keeping it from rusting. What I guess I need to know the most is how everyone is getting them clean than dry all the way. I have just been blowing out the water than standing up to air dry. I know that my next hookah will for sure be polished and plated on the inside, seems to help keep the rust out a lot better!

Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: The rust is only in the stem, not the full plated down tube that screws up into the stem. Also no rust in what I call the chamber, the area the smoke would go into to enter the hose after passing threw the water. (I think I got my terms correct here, aid me if not)

Last edited by bennybooze; July 20th, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Mini Mya Acrylic Rust

umm you shouldnt have rust because it is brass inside there.

how do you think you have rust? smells, colors, etc?

if its that it smells horrid, brush it well with dawn dish soap, rinse, then soak the stem with vinegar (either fill it up and hold the end so it doesnt come out, easier to do upside down, or just soak it in a pan or bucket or what not)

-matt
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:07 PM
bennybooze
Hookah Newbie

well, I wish I could take some pics. The chamber area looks brand new with its color of black specks mixed in with brass and gold. It looks the same as the first day. When looking down from where you put the bowl is another story. It is brown, comes out like dust when scraped dry, looks like the back bumper of my old pick up truck. If it is not rust I have no clue what the hell it is, either way I don't think I want this in my body.
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:13 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i think you must have some junk in there cause mya uses brass and aluminum on their stems and the minis are brass, it would be a dark brown/brass color but the patina shouldnt scrape off or green and that might scrape of a bit but if its like that it sounds like junk just built up there,

have you tried scrubbing it?

-matt
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
bennybooze
Hookah Newbie

I have hit it with a brush a few times but don't have any brush that will get in and do a good job, I need to make one. I wonder if I just got a messed up stem as well. Being brass and aluminum I would not expect I could get a magnet to stick to it. Sure as shit, one sticks on the inside. Outside is expected with the plating but inside on the raw surface? I don't know, just seems odd.

I got a sample of that Formula *** cleaner stuff that some of the hookah sites sell so I will get it soaking in that and give a good scrub with what ever I can find and report back.

You think one part would patina but not the other? I am talking it goes from nice and new to brown.

EDIT: I am not attempting to make NHT references, the product recommended and sold to me by a well known (and vender) website has the numbers in the name.

Last edited by bennybooze; July 20th, 2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:57 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

hmmm thats weird that a magnet sticks to it, the plating it shouldnt stick to even (chrome is non magnetic)

are you sure its a mya and not a knock off?

is the inner stem smooth or rough?

-matt
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM
bennybooze
Hookah Newbie

It came in a mya box, it says mya on just about every part and looks just like the ones I see online. The inner stem is rough
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

hmmmmm it all sounds right but i have no idea why the brass stem is magnetic

mine is not magnetic at all, even the chinese rigs use stainless steel (usually a crappy quality) but stainless is basically always nonmagnetic

unless mya changed their rigs from brass (aluminum i think was reserved for the "eco" models) then it might be a fake mya

-matt
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
hmmmmm it all sounds right but i have no idea why the brass stem is magnetic

mine is not magnetic at all, even the chinese rigs use stainless steel (usually a crappy quality) but stainless is basically always nonmagnetic

unless mya changed their rigs from brass (aluminum i think was reserved for the "eco" models) then it might be a fake mya

-matt

A mya is a chinese......
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgheyitskenny View Post
A mya is a chinese......
yes but its not the low quality junk Chinese stuff and the only part that they use that is supposedly stainless in the downstem but im not to sure on that (might be plated too)

-matt
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:49 PM
bennybooze
Hookah Newbie

After a hard core cleaning with the Four hundred and twenty cleaner and scrubbing what I could get to the brown color has lightened a lot. I only got a bit of dust out that seems to be rust but not 100% sure. I fired it up with some Hookah Hookah tropical punch and it tastes much better. I am going to get some lemon juice and vinegar this week when I get paid and give it another power cleaning. I am going to take the stem over to my gunsmith friends house and see if I can get a brass brush that will get the job done (thinking .50 cal should do) and have at it. It all just seems odd to me.

Thanks for all the reply by the way mattathayde, I appreciate it very much.
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:54 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

was the smell very sharp, kinda gave a tingle almost even, just nasty?

ive cleaned out horrid myas with just lemon or vinegar cause i forgot a brush and that cleaned it very well just with 30-60 seconds of soaking

the brass brush will probably work ok but i think its going to be hard to get through depending on thickness (one that just fits in wont clean all the voids yet one that cleans all the voids will be super hard to push through)

-matt
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
bennybooze
Hookah Newbie

It did not have a smell other than from what I am guessing was the 250g of SB white grape that I have been smoking for the last few weeks. That smell is gone now.

This dude I know is the king of guns, he has all kinds of cleaning stuff and what is called a bore scope where I will be able to look down into the stem if I want to. Who knows, it may just have been some stuff flaking off that I thought was rust and the color is from all the smoke, I don't know. I know that my other hookahs have never done such a thing. I have that King Of Hookah deal that I am sure is from China and it is as clean as the day I unpacked it and I have never done more than I have done with the Mya. Perhaps I just need to step up the cleaning, right now it is smoking like it is brand new. What freaked me out the most was that the chamber deal looked brand new yet the stem was this funky color. This magnet deal bothers me a bit but I am not going to worry too much I guess. As long as I am not getting a mouth full of rust dust, right.
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i scrub my hookah with a brush and soap (dawn) rinse, then fill with vinegar for 15-60 seconds, and rinse again. that seems to always keep well ahead of it and works really well plus it only takes 5-10 mins including break down and reassembly/dry

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook