Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Smoking at university?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Default Smoking at university?

I'm going to Brighton uni in september (provided i get the grades :P) and I was just wondering what the take on smoking is in dorms? I assume theyd say no to cigarrettes but what about hookahs?

Does anyone here actually go to uni atm, your experiences would be helpful

Cheers!
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:18 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006
Default Re: Smoking at university?

NOT ALLOWED AT ALL

smoking isn't allowed in part of the campus, if thats in the dorms or outside hookah ciggs, cigars etc

But i had friends living in dorms, and we just covered up the smoke alarm nad opened the window and it was fine
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Thing is, my halls of residence arent actually on campus, theyre in the city itself...do the same rules apply?
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
Thing is, my halls of residence arent actually on campus, theyre in the city itself...do the same rules apply?
If they have secrity gurads should do, cos my mate goes kings and his halls aren't in campus but same rules apply
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:37 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Mission...well im sure itll be fine, just tape a bag over the smoke alarms or something. Thanks man
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Mission...well im sure itll be fine, just tape a bag over the smoke alarms or something. Thanks man
Cover it up tight, wrap it well, etc. I've seen the alarms go off, even when wrapped, because people were smoking cigarettes.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Thanks! Will do
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Kahn
Hookah Newbie

I go to Ohio University and typically Universities are georgious so get your hookah and go outside. In the winter it sucks but in the summer or fall you can roll in some chicks to smoke off your hose, no pun intended.
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Hookah smoke doesnt even set off firealarms....but i would cover them up just in case...if u drop the coal on a rug or somethig...that will set it off.
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
I go to Ohio University and typically Universities are georgious so get your hookah and go outside. In the winter it sucks but in the summer or fall you can roll in some chicks to smoke off your hose, no pun intended.
So your saying smoking a hookah outside will lead to ladies felatioing me...interesting :P

Ive just had a though as well, I could go down to the beach, ill be right next to it
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Yes, this coming fall I am going to a university. I really dont know what to do about smoking hookah in the dorms. For one, I am going to have to hide it in a rather good place, there are brief searches while the students are gone on vacations and such.

I just thought of something....I wonder if we are allowed to have a safe on campus. For one, here in america, you have a right to pricvacy, would it cover this? And, you could just say that you forgot the code, but you used it as a TV stand....idk..
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Kahn
Hookah Newbie

That sounds tight! Beach+hookah. Sir you just 1upped me!
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

You could do what I did and put a lamp shade on top of a hookah and say its a lamp.
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Colgreentea you seem to have given that a LOT of thought :P
I dont see how they can search your dorm room, that in itself is a breach of privacy. They could only do it if they thought you had something illegal as far as I know :S
But if they only do it when your away then you can just take the hookah with you

OH! Also, there shouldnt be any rules against owning ah ookah, you could say you take it to the park to smoke it or whatever, they cant stop you owning anything really unless its considered drug paraphenalia, just prove the hookah isnt and you should be fine
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqturbo View Post
You could do what I did and put a lamp shade on top of a hookah and say its a lamp.
That is EPIC, did you actually do that? XD Did it work?
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

See how strict your school is. I know at mine, if anyone got caught smoking in the dorms you were asked to leave the school. Smoking in the dorms is taken very seriously now because of the deadly fires that have occurred at universities in the past. I don't think smoking hookah is worth getting expelled from the school. This year I'm living in a house, so hookah is gonna be smoked daily haha.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
c000weee
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to c000weee Send a message via Yahoo to c000weee

Can't you just take the batteries out of the smoke alarms?
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Expelled for smoking? Fuck that, hopefully theyll be more lenient here in the UK
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
I dont see how they can search your dorm room, that in itself is a breach of privacy. They could only do it if they thought you had something illegal as far as I know :S
But if they only do it when your away then you can just take the hookah with you

OH! Also, there shouldnt be any rules against owning ah ookah, you could say you take it to the park to smoke it or whatever, they cant stop you owning anything really unless its considered drug paraphenalia, just prove the hookah isnt and you should be fine
Yes, they are required to do maintenance in the rooms to make sure everything is working, like the heater, fire alarms, electrical plumbing ect. During this time, the RA's of our hall walk around and look for anything suspicious in the rooms. Also, In our dorms, it doesnt say no smoking, but it says no tobacco use, which prohibits all types of tobacco. And im not gonna smoke herbal shisha...bleh...But the main thing about hookahs is the whole coal aspect of it. It can do a lot of damage to floors, it can start fires ect. They dont have hookahs listed specifically as prohibited, but its pretty easy to imply it.

The only way I could see myself using one on campus is in my car, or 30ft outside of a building, which would be risky, but its the best thing i could do to let campus police know about hookahs.

Quote:
Can't you just take the batteries out of the smoke alarms?
No. All of our campus fire alarms are wired to a security system. In a house, only battery powered alarms are necessary because it would be easy to pinpoint where the fire is. In a huge campus, firefighters and the on campus staff would have no idea. When a fire alarm goes off, it goes to some switchboard that notifies which room it is, and they contact the fire dept. This is what I am worried about, if the fire alarm goes off, then im screwed. And the fire dept is there to welcome me and my hookah.
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Maybe there would be a way to get up on the roof, itd be cool to smoke up there!
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:13 PM
esteban
Hookah Pro

You can smoke in your room so long as you keep your window open, your flatmates like you, and its not the day before a flat inspection.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
Hookah smoke doesnt even set off firealarms....but i would cover them up just in case...if u drop the coal on a rug or somethig...that will set it off.
Well..... We did have ours go off once from the hookah. Don't think it was the actual hookah smoke though; we think it was the residue burnoff from the coals. Either way, it's smarter to wrap the smoke detector anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
Yes, this coming fall I am going to a university. I really dont know what to do about smoking hookah in the dorms. For one, I am going to have to hide it in a rather good place, there are brief searches while the students are gone on vacations and such.

I just thought of something....I wonder if we are allowed to have a safe on campus. For one, here in america, you have a right to pricvacy, would it cover this? And, you could just say that you forgot the code, but you used it as a TV stand....idk..
We had searches as well, so everyone I knew that had hookahs just tossed 'em in a box with all the accessories and took them home with them over breaks.

As for the safe, they are not allowed to open drawers, closed trunks or anything with a lock on it. (The drawers and boxes rule gets violated constantly though.) If you have something with a lock on it, you should be fine as long as everything "in violation" is in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqturbo View Post
Did that seriously work? I saw the thread about actually turning a hookah into a lamp, but did somebody fall for that?

Quote:
Colgreentea you seem to have given that a LOT of thought :P

Dorm rooms are not considered private spaces. All they have to do is notify you that they entered while you were not there. Our RAs and the maintenence staff went in and out during our breaks. The Fire Marshall also did accompanied by the RA and a university cop. During that one, it was a search, and they seized anything breaking the fire code or laws.

And when there were seizures, they didn't just take the stuff and tell you to take it home or get rid of it. They removed it, left a note of removal and threw it away.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

Yea it worked, and it worked well. No one really questioned, just a random looking lamp. Have some christmas lights wrapped around the ash tray area or a standalone bulb, and no one will think otherwise.

But it does always help to be cool with the RA on your floor, when things turn south. Just FYI..
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
Yes, they are required to do maintenance in the rooms to make sure everything is working, like the heater, fire alarms, electrical plumbing ect. During this time, the RA's of our hall walk around and look for anything suspicious in the rooms. Also, In our dorms, it doesnt say no smoking, but it says no tobacco use, which prohibits all types of tobacco. And im not gonna smoke herbal shisha...bleh...But the main thing about hookahs is the whole coal aspect of it. It can do a lot of damage to floors, it can start fires ect. They dont have hookahs listed specifically as prohibited, but its pretty easy to imply it.

The only way I could see myself using one on campus is in my car, or 30ft outside of a building, which would be risky, but its the best thing i could do to let campus police know about hookahs.

No. All of our campus fire alarms are wired to a security system. In a house, only battery powered alarms are necessary because it would be easy to pinpoint where the fire is. In a huge campus, firefighters and the on campus staff would have no idea. When a fire alarm goes off, it goes to some switchboard that notifies which room it is, and they contact the fire dept. This is what I am worried about, if the fire alarm goes off, then im screwed. And the fire dept is there to welcome me and my hookah.
are they really gonna know the diff between herbal shisha and reg shisha? take out your bag of shisha and put it in can that says herbal shisha..problem solved.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis Mortuus View Post
are they really gonna know the diff between herbal shisha and reg shisha? take out your bag of shisha and put it in can that says herbal shisha..problem solved.
yea, but still. Coals arnt allowed.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook