Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Phunnel bowls...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Default Phunnel bowls...

The large phunnel bowl looks ridiculously huge to me, the medium also looks a tad big, but with the medium bowl do you actually have to fill it up or can you fill it half way?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Phunnel bowls...

You could use a scalli mod, or do what others have done by making foil donuts to reduce the depth of a bowl.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Theres no problems smoking with that much foil in the bowl then? No gases or whatever?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
kingboyb
Banned

If coals are normally not hot enough to burn through foil when normally smoking a bowl, then I would think they're not hot enough to cook through the tobacco under the foil.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
DabsTight703
Hookah Newbie

Is there any particular reason you want a phunnel over a vortex?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

Any reason when a vortex is better than a phunnel?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

In what way?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
OriHazan321
Hookah Newbie

try to make your own bowl with some fruit ..

i hope i help...

Ori Hazan
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Ive done an apple bowl, didnt really work...ive yet to try it on my new KM though so maybe ill do that! I could make an apple phunnel bowl :P

In fact im definitely doing that, expect pictures!!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsTight703 View Post
Is there any particular reason you want a phunnel over a vortex?
that didnt answer his question so it was a pointless post

its like me asking is there anyparticular reason you would want a KM over a Syrian.. Don't anybody say KMs are better they're same thing people prefer KMs because its a FAD right now just like abercrombie and shit
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgheyitskenny View Post

its like me asking is there anyparticular reason you would want a KM over a Syrian.. Don't anybody say KMs are better they're same thing people prefer KMs because its a FAD right now just like abercrombie and shit

I dunno man, I am LOVING my new KM :P Why do you think syrans are better?

Also...anyone care to explain about the vortex? :P Ive heard the holes are sometimes too far down...
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:

Actually he was responding to a post directly before his asking the opposite. He was making a point similar to the one you have made.

The number of times that people will shout about their favorite products is stupid regardless of what side you are on. It's sad that there are a lot of people on here who took the joke of the nour v KM war seriously. Everyone has their preference. Your last sentence is just as biased as what you ware complaining about. People like KMs because they like KMs just the same as the people who prefer Syrian style. Sometimes it's just preference. It is not nice to devalue their opinions and claim that they are just following a fad because they disagree with you.

Many people who pick a side and are so adamant about the debate have only experienced one style and claim that it is the best. Let people make thier own decisions. I own both an authentic brass Nour and a KM. They both smoke well and have their own advantages and disadvantages. I like them both equally for different reasons. I have a slight leaning toward one side because of aesthetic preference but I am not going to tell you that here. It should nto matter what I prefer personally. For the most part that is what it comes down.

As a final point your post (and thus mine) do even less to answer the original question than the post you were attacking for being a pointless post... I have had my say and i hope you see what I mean without being offended.

Now I am going to remedy this hijacking.

I always suggest the small funnel if you want a Tangiers funnel bowl. frankly it is still huge. I use my vortex more than I do my funnel but that is because the majority of tobacco I smoke benefits from the design of the vortex. I prefer the funnel but the capacity stops me from using it as often as i would like.

The scalli mod is a good idea and with a little ingenuity you can save yourself the cost of ordering and shipping a glass scalli. though they are really nice and guaranteed to not have any nasty chemicals or anything else unpleasant on them.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
DabsTight703
Hookah Newbie

Quote:

Oh the irony. Anyways...

OT: The reason I ask is because from what I read, people have problems with their Phunnels when are not using a scalli mod. Either ash gets pulled through or they end up pulling the foil into the center hole. My Vortex Bowl is decent for single sessions as I've used it by myself a few times and did not find the bowl to be overwhelming. Let me explain my setup:

Single Session:
Coal: 3Kings QL
Hookah: Mya Phalcor w/ Water in base.
Shisha: Starbuzz
Startup takes about 10 minutes since it's a vortex. This is the biggest draw back. It takes awhile to start up. Once started though you will get good smoke/flavor for 30-45 minutes. Keep in mind this is with the wind cover on at all times. Another thing to note is I don't break my coal disk into halves which might make it start up easier.

I am by no means trying to say the phunnel is bad. It just looks like it holds quite a bit more shisha than the vortex bowl. Maybe if you can somehow buy a mini-phunnel from someone that has bought one (though I highly doubt anyone will part ways with their mini phunnel). Vortex bowls sell for about 10USD while the Phunnel with Scalli mod (which is highly recommended) can run you about 25USD+. IMO, the phunnel is perfect for 3+ hose hookahs but for a 1-2 hose hookah, a Vortex will suffice imo. Whichever you choose, good luck and I hope you will become 1 step closer to perfecting your setup.

Last edited by DabsTight703; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
DabsTight703
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
I dunno man, I am LOVING my new KM :P Why do you think syrans are better?

Also...anyone care to explain about the vortex? :P Ive heard the holes are sometimes too far down...
Yes, this is a problem. If you can contact your seller before you buy the Vortex Bowl requesting they pick a bowl with the holes towards the top, you should usually be fine. Vortex bowls have a center column with 3 holes placed near the top along the sides as opposed to a hole on the top like the Phunnel.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Oh the irony. Anyways...

OT: The reason I ask is because from what I read, people have problems with their Phunnels when are not using a scalli mod. Either ash gets pulled through or they end up pulling the foil into the center hole. My Vortex Bowl is decent for single sessions as I've used it by myself a few times and did not find the bowl to be overwhelming. Let me explain my setup:

Single Session:
Coal: 3Kings QL
Hookah: Mya Phalcor w/ Water in base.
Shisha: Starbuzz
Startup takes about 10 minutes since it's a vortex. This is the biggest draw back. It takes awhile to start up. Once started though you will get good smoke/flavor for 30-45 minutes. Keep in mind this is with the wind cover on at all times. Another thing to note is I don't break my coal disk into halves which might make it start up easier.

I am by no means trying to say the phunnel is bad. It just looks like it holds quite a bit more shisha than the vortex bowl. Maybe if you can somehow buy a mini-phunnel from someone that has bought one (though I highly doubt anyone will part ways with their mini phunnel). Vortex bowls sell for about 10USD while the Phunnel with Scalli mod (which is highly recommended) can run you about 25USD+. IMO, the phunnel is perfect for 3+ hose hookahs but for a 1-2 hose hookah, a Vortex will suffice imo. Whichever you choose, good luck and I hope you will become 1 step closer to perfecting your setup.

You can use the funnel without a mod perfectly well so long as the foild is tight. I suggest using heavy duty foil because there is far less of an issue with it going slack.

Regarding the ash that can happen with any bowl and won't affect the session at all. It just hits the water and is not an issue.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
DabsTight703
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
You can use the funnel without a mod perfectly well so long as the foild is tight. I suggest using heavy duty foil because there is far less of an issue with it going slack.

Regarding the ash that can happen with any bowl and won't affect the session at all. It just hits the water and is not an issue.
The OT wants something that holds a little less shisha than phunnels. The phunnels I've seen medium and small seem like party bowls to me therefore I stand by my Vortex recommendation. However, everything that you stated is true. Oh and it's better to fill up a hookah bowl in my opinion. The way the heat is pulled through with the phunnel and vortex, I believe that utilizing all the space is for the better. With that said, I believe it's better to get a bowl size that fits your shisha comfortably rather than get a bigger bowl and half pack it.

Last edited by DabsTight703; July 23rd, 2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Quote:
The OT wants something that holds a little less shisha than phunnels. The phunnels I've seen medium and small seem like party bowls to me therefore I stand by my Vortex recommendation. However, everything that you stated is true. Oh and it's better to fill up a hookah bowl in my opinion. The way the heat is pulled through with the phunnel and vortex, I believe that utilizing all the space is for the better. With that said, I believe it's better to get a bowl size that fits your shisha comfortably rather than get a bigger bowl and half pack it.

Your probably right...maybe ill just wait Its annoying though because when i try to smoke my favourite shisha (AF Grape) all the juice drips down the stem and turns the water red! Its mad just how much juice is in that stuff.

Ill get one eventually, maybe ill go for a vortex...problem is the phunnel is easier to get hold of in the UK as theyre for sale on hookahroyal...
We shall see! Thanks for the advice.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
DabsTight703
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareben View Post
Your probably right...maybe ill just wait Its annoying though because when i try to smoke my favourite shisha (AF Grape) all the juice drips down the stem and turns the water red! Its mad just how much juice is in that stuff.

Ill get one eventually, maybe ill go for a vortex...problem is the phunnel is easier to get hold of in the UK as theyre for sale on hookahroyal...
We shall see! Thanks for the advice.
Yeah dude NP. I used a mod bowl for awhile and though I never really was annoyed by the juices dripping down the stem, I was looking for something to retain those juices to enhance the session. The flavor will last the whole duration and I don't burn my shisha anymore though it will began to bite the back of your throat if you're heating your shisha too much. That's another good thing is that you can actually save your bowl before it becomes burnt beyond recovery. May I suggest wo*********.com since I bought a vortex bowl from them with HD15 (15% off) and the shipping was very fast. I don't know how the shipping is to Europe but packages over 50USD is free!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Free shipping overseas too? I may have to look that site up, thanks =]
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

I would deff go vortex... its alot easier to use... in my opinion, but if you can't get ahold of one, its all good, I personaly like the phunnel setup more myself simply because of the size thing, that and with a scali mod it is the perfect bowl, for the most part...
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
vqturbo
Hookah Nut

My vortex holds more than my small phunnel, As stated earlier, there is no problems with foil if done correctly. Otherwise, you can still do the binder clip mod.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
Lowbrowkid
Hookah Newbie

I just want someone to make a smaller vortex or funnel, I just need 10-15 grams, oh woe unto me!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook