Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

First time hookah buyer, any tips? suggestions?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 24th, 2009, 12:22 AM
AstralMonkey
Hookah Newbie

Default First time hookah buyer, any tips? suggestions?

Hi everyone. I've been smoking hookah at lounges infrequently for a few years now and have finally decided to buy a hookah for the casa.

I have come to realize that there is a great variety in the types hookah available, and their attachments, ect... and so I'm somewhat at a loss.
But here's what I'm working with; I want to spend between $100-$200, preferably 2 hoses but I'm flexible on how many hoses it has, the biggest issue with me is it being durable and have a good/easy pull. I'd like it to be pretty easy to clean too.
Looks aren't that important, although it would be nice to get a good hookah that looks better then decent.
Any suggestions? I'd like to hear from those who've been around hookah for awhile and have been through a few different ones and could enlighten me on the pitfalls of hookah shopping.
Below is the hookah that is at my local shop I was thinking about getting, except it's 120.00 and has three hoses instead of the one, anyone have any experience with this kind?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/32-1-COBRA-Hose-...item53dbd736a7

Thanks in advance for any advice it is appreciated
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:50 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk
Default Re: First time hookah buyer, any tips? suggestions?

How about this instead?

http://www.socialsmoke.com/item--Veg...OOKAHVG02.html

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11029
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Demonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Demonix

http://**********.com/product.sc?cat...&productId=165
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:21 AM
AstralMonkey
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for all your responses so far.

This is to Paulk and Demonix: thanks guys and both of those hookahs look much better then the other ones I've been looking at in stores... I gotta few questions....
I'm assuming this is a hookah you own or have tryed? If you own it how long have you had it?
Have you had any problems with it? Would they need any add ons or upgrades as far as the hoses(or any other part) are concerned?

Thank you Abu Ronin for the link, I read that before hand. And it does clear things up a bit, but I'm still looking for more info.

This is to anyone who'll anwser; Anyone have any good tips about inspecting a hookah in a store? whats good to look out for? what would be complete deal breakers, that would identify a piece of crap?

Are there any brands that you really can't go wrong with? Any brands to completley avoid at all costs?

Last edited by AstralMonkey; July 24th, 2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Add
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:23 AM
yehaw4257
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to yehaw4257 Send a message via Yahoo to yehaw4257

look at the sticky at the top of the fourm discussion page "what to get?"
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:45 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Try not to get anything that is chinese, it usually made of crap quality and will break down quickly, except mya's

for a easy draw theys no easier then egyptian hookahs theyfore KM's Mz's will be a good choice

For durability i would suggest a syrian or mya

And for easy of clean in my experiance nothing cleans easier then a mya

But Km's/mya's/ syrian's are all high quality hookahs, and will all smoke really well if set up right

And the difference in them are minimal, but i would suggest getting a hookah that looks good to you and post a link and someone will tell you how it is.

Try not buying from smoke shops if you dont really know much bout the hookah as it might be a piece of crap, try ordering online and post a link of it here

As for muti-hose hookahs they are more hassle then worth so your better of getting a single hose and passing it round.

And for the a great smoking experience getting a washable pipe and mayb a phunnel/vortex

Il get you started on some good hookahs
http://**********.com/product.sc?cat...&productId=193
http://**********.com/product.sc?cat...&productId=141
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
wacawaca
Hookah Newbie

Stay away from E-bay, people tend to sell things that don't look like the pictures.

Also take into consideration what you have smoked before at your lounge if you like the way a 1 hose pulls don't change it up and get a multi-hose. I personally started with a multi hose and ended up going to a single hose. if you have 200 dollars to spend you can get a really nice hookah so look at all your options.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
AstralMonkey
Hookah Newbie

So... after much deliberation and searching I've narrowed down my options to 6 choices. Here they are;

http://www.**********.com/product.sc...&categoryId=21
http://www.**********.com/product.sc...6&categoryId=8
http://www.**********.com/product.sc...&categoryId=22
http://www.**********.com/product.sc...&categoryId=22
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=5097
http://www.**********.com/product.sc...5&categoryId=8

So please let me know what you all think. As far as looks are concerned I like the Al Fakher's and the Temsah best. I find the KM's kinda plain, but I did have a coupla questions about all of them. Would there be a difference between the 24" AF and the 36" AF? as far as smoking experience is concerned?

First I see myself changing out the base(glass vase or whatever) of the hookah I get, eventually. Would I run into any problems with any of these?

Second, I wanna get a razan hose. Do all of these work ok with the razans?

Third, I want to get a vortex bowl, I think. Will a vortex work ok with all of these models? or maybe there is a bowl that is better for different models?

Also, I wanted to ask if the ice chiller on the mash'al makes any majorly noticable difference in the smoke? cause it seems to me like it wouldn't make much difference, because you can put ice in the base.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate how easy this forum makes it to learn about hookahs.

Last edited by AstralMonkey; July 30th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:34 AM
HookahLoopah
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to HookahLoopah

I like the KM from Hookah-Shisha out of all of them (but that's my preference). I've purchased from them before and they are awesome and very helpful. Cool thing is you can collect points with every purchase on this site and then you can get free stuff. I love them! Too bad they're sold out though.

In regards to the difference between the 24" or a 36"...there isn't much. I had a 12" mini hookah with my Nammor hose and that little thing pulled beautifully. I have a 22" Syrian now. Honestly, the smoke is not much of a difference. So you shouldn't sweat too much over the two sizes.

And if you decide you want to change your bowl or base, you won't run into any problems with any of them. There are a lot of different options.

Last edited by HookahLoopah; August 8th, 2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Height
When a hookah is larger than 13” or so, this really becomes an issue of preference over functionality. The heat from the bowl would not disturb the temperature of the water any more than normal. Hookahs between 20-36 inches tend to smoke better than the rest. The taller a hookah is, the harder it is to clean. You may just need to clean it in the bathtub if its bigger than 30 inches.
From the sticky, yes its a large guide, but if you don't need to read a section, skip that section and carry on.

As for those hookahs, check out our review section (or press the search button up top) and read through the reviews. I personally have reviewed the AF and the Temsah hookahs on videos but I think some of your other choices are in the video review section too.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

All of your choices appear to be legit. Each one is going to smoke great, the only other thing is choosing what looks best to you. I can tell you from experience with my personal setup- 30" AF Solid, Razan Sultan and Vortex bowl- that these work together in perfect harmony.
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:39 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

after buying my 3rd hookah (just ordered last night) i will say to get something that has a good reputation, fits your budget, and fits your tastes.

i bought a rotator for my first hookah, looks great IMHO, great design, horrid execution of said design though, so i got a mya mini off ebay for 25 shipped, crazy good price, great little rig but its kinda disappointing for an every day smoke... even more so after 9 months using it daily

i now just ordered a KM because they are supposed to be very good, sturdy and seems to fit everything in my mind. i suggest looking towards more traditional hookahs like KM, MZ, general syrians or general egyptians because a lot of the modern hookahs are really just junk. myas can be good though dont get me wrong but some of the passage ways are a bit restrictive even on some of the large ones and im not a fan of the autoseal (seems to always be hard to pull, but it could also be caused by my friends rig has some restrictions maybe )

probably not the most exact advice but things to think about.

i would stick with real vendors as apposed to ebay, personally i might not buy a hookah for hookah-shisha again because of the rotator i got from them and argued about along with no shipping breaks (paid like 30 shipping for a rig, shisha, and coals, ya it was a big order but many other places give shipping breaks or have flat shipping)

-matt
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:05 AM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Do not get a AF -.-
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgheyitskenny View Post
Do not get a AF -.-
What's wrong with the AF?
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_johnson View Post
What's wrong with the AF?
its not syrian and only syrian is good

-matt
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

my 36" AF solid is a champ.
And it never fails to impress the ladies.
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

lol i had a km and i now own a Syrian and i have to admit the 32 inch Syrian isnt giving me as much smoke (then again i used it once so far and it was my first time packing a bowl in almost 6 months) as the km. It is just as good at giving me the flavor and the clouds are good enough i can get out several smoke rings and still blow out smoke(syrian)> (15 sec 2 pull )< that was done with my camera phone crappy quality and this is the km taken with my camera (km is the cloud king) both have made great smoke quality. i had a video of my lil bambino but can remeber where i loaded that 2
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook