Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

going to turkey need help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
pitbull111
Banned

Default going to turkey need help

im going to turkey and need help becaese i want to buy there a hookah so i got some quastions :

1. what hookahs do they have in turkey

2. are there KM hookahs in turkey?

3. how do i know its a good hookah

4.not a quastion but there are no KMs in my country (israel)

5. where do they have hookah shops?

thx

Last edited by pitbull111; July 25th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:12 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: going to turkey need help

I would tend to doubt the presence of KMs in turkey....you should contact nazarhookah on the forums. I believe he is studying in turkey right now.
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
annual
Hookah Nut

1. Change your flight to Cairo if you want a KM.
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:45 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

1. what hookahs do they have in turkey
Turkish hookahs are actually very detailed nicely made hookahs that come in full steel, brass and ceramic, with a variety of base materials. I am not educated on brands but I can tell you that you wouldnt be dissapointed.

2. are there KM hookahs in turkey?
Who knows, if you are there, why waste an opportunity to get something unique, you can get a KM anywhere these days.

3. how do i know its a good hookah
Touch it, pickit up, judge the weight, look at the welds, see if they will let you do a dry pull on one (not setup, but just to test how restrictive the flow is). if it works for you, then its a good hookah.

4. hookah should i buy there
not sure of the question...but get a turkish one.

5. where do they have hookah shops?
check out the larger markets and the tourist areas, if you go to a cafe or restaurant that has hookah on the menu, ask the owner of a good shop to go to, remember to be proactive when finding one.

thx

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

Great post photo, I was telling him the same thing. Pick up a full brass turkish hookah, you can find KM's anywhere online back in the states.
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Emre1990
Hookah Nut

Turkey tends to sell more Turkish hookahs these are very nice imo, my mum saw a 30inch there for about 40milyon which is about 40AUD dollars over here. They smoke good and I remember I was over there this was when I was underage but im legal age limit now, my dad was smoking from one with my uncle, and they produce alot of smoke. I asked if I could have a puff, obviously the answer was no. If you have a good look around Ankara the capital or Istanbul one of the largest cities you will find a hookah seller they only deal with hookahs and stuff and im sure you will find a KM or something close at-least.
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

They dont have any KM's in turkey. Actually I wouldnt buy a hookah in turkey, because the turkish stuff is bad quality. You won't get any good hookah in the tourist regions. i also wouldnt buy Nakhla tobacco in turkey, because they have many nakhla fakes there. Try to get Serbetli tobacco. It's one of the best traditional brands I know.
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Emre1990
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCServe View Post
They dont have any KM's in turkey. Actually I wouldnt buy a hookah in turkey, because the turkish stuff is bad quality. You won't get any good hookah in the tourist regions. i also wouldnt buy Nakhla tobacco in turkey, because they have many nakhla fakes there. Try to get Serbetli tobacco. It's one of the best traditional brands I know.
Smoking from a traditional Turkish hookah at my mates house was probably one of the best hookahs that I ever smoked from.
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:00 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

yes, thats true. but if you go there as a tourist and live in a tourist region, you will never get the good stuff. thats the biggest problem with hookahs from turkey.
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Emre1990
Hookah Nut

Quote:
yes, thats true. but if you go there as a tourist and live in a tourist region, you will never get the good stuff. thats the biggest problem with hookahs from turkey.
I have to admit that's true, most the tourist regions never have good stuff. The best areas are Ankara and Istanbul be sure to visit there if you want some good hookahs.
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:08 AM
pitbull111
Banned

Quote:
so i will not buy a hookah in a tourist place

and i think im going to Ankara

Last edited by pitbull111; July 26th, 2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Emre1990
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull111 View Post
so i will not buy a hookah in a tourist place

and i think im going to Ankara
Ankara does have many hookah shops around, but be sure to have a good look around for the perfect one. Istanbul is also a great place to by hookahs from as well.
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I honestly said tourist markets because in Damascus, one of the oldest/largest markets is the Hammediyeh market which has a great hookah selections if you go to the right parts. Its where a lot of locals go, but a lot more tourists go.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM
yehaw4257
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to yehaw4257 Send a message via Yahoo to yehaw4257

use it as an advantage you will find many hookas that alot of people havent seen befor that in itself is cool i have picked up a few here in iraq why because alot of people havent seen them befor they can always fing a km mya af there all over the place so find one that looks origanal and cool to look at cause remember you will have one that not many people have seen
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah

Alright.....time for me to clarify all the wrong in this thread.

1.) Turkey produces some REALLY nice hookahs....and REALLY crappy ones too....pick it up....you can tell by the weight. Flick the stem a few time to hear the sound it makes...if it sounds like you are flicking an empty coke can...don't buy it.

Firstly, tell them you are buying to use it...not as a decoration. As they will show you the crappy ones (which are honestly made for show)

Secondly, negotiate. But don't be a dick. Be friendly and they will clearly be more inclined to help you.

2.) There is no point to even look for a KM in Turkey because you can get a KM from anywhere. Turkish hookahs are hard to find in the mainstream market....unless of course you are in Turkey.

3.) I have bought 3 hookahs here in Turkey so far....in Istanbul. A Tourist place..The Grand Bazaar. The quality is excellent, and the price wasn't high. So the claim of stay away from tourist places is definitely false. If anything it is cheaper because you have more shops to choose from.

-Mahir
Nazar Hookah
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

the one on the right looks like a nargilum

Old July 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah

Nargilem hookahs are typically machine made....resembling what most of us consider "chinese" looking

All of these hookahs were made in Turkey, by hand as I have talked to the manufacturers of these hookahs...just too far to go and visit them
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:47 PM
pitbull111
Banned

im going to turkey anatalya today got any hookah tips
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

thats a nargilem:

my friend is the producer of nargilem and the owner of all trademarks.
they are mainly machine made, but the bases are handmade in czech republic. as i know the stems are made in turkey, but the new Nargilem NPS (not aviable yet) is better quality. its made in a factory for medical instruments in indonesia. will be the best quality in the world.
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Derailing from main thread now, but imo nargilems are too generic and boring looking. ^_^
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
plymouthshisha
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to plymouthshisha

Look around. There are absolutely loads of places that sell them. One example...I could have picked up a 24" in case with coals, foil, tongs and 200gr serbatli shisha for 17!!!

Wish I had now. There are a lot for touristy decoration only, but loads of places which offer hookah smoking. Ask there, and they will tell you where to get a good one. In turkey, they call them shisha pipes or water pipes. Maybe they just called them that to tourists lol.

Also, haggle. They expect it, but trying to get any more than 30% off will be seriously pushing it, but is possible, and the more you buy in that store, the better chance of big discounts.

Lots of nice shisha there, but be wary. Try to get the stuff with a tobacco warnign on the front. Serbatli strawberry is awesome.

Just keep your eyes peeled and use your sense... After all, Turkey is 'The land of the Genuine Authentic Replica' hahaha
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
MrDoo
Hookah Newbie

I just got back from a week in Turkey. Wanted to back up NazarHookah on this one.

Went to 3 different Markets while I was there. Saw some great quality Hookahs, and some that were clearly made for display. Like Nazar said, pick them up and check them out, it is easy to spot the "display" type. Tell the vendor you want to purchase the hookah to use, and not just look at, I found most market vendors to be helpful if you were straight forward and seemed halfway knowledgeable.

Going to a hookah lounge and talking to the owner/manager would be a great idea as well.

The Serbatli was nice.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook