Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Syrian Hookahs

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk
Default Syrian Hookahs

Does any one know where to get a traditional Syrian Brass Hookah with the male bowl?

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old July 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Syrian Hookahs

Personally I love this Syrian: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=1715

I don't know where you might be able to pick up any traditional pipes but photolinger can definitely help you.
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by myka View Post
Personally I love this Syrian: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=1715

I don't know where you might be able to pick up any traditional pipes but photolinger can definitely help you.
that hookah used to be amazing. like 4 years ago. The recent one I received from them was not the same. For some reason I received a 3 hose with only 1 hose port when I ordered a 1 hose. It makes a huge difference, I had to drill it out to even smoke it, and even then it was terrible. The old ones I have are actually full brass, not stainless steel as well. The manufacture for these hookahs must have changed because the styling is different as well.
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I would definitely stick with an Al Fakher Syrian or a Syrian from **********.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Honestly, you arent going to find them on online stores unless they tell you straight up it has a male bowl.

the last time i had a female stemmed syrian was like 4 years ago, the new ones jumped on the male stem bandwagon

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

I have only seen one and it was in a small smoke shop near my school in Arkansas, a beautiful piece by the way. I would have made the purchase, but I could only afford ramen, pizza and beer.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Truthfully Syrian style heads don't smoke any differently then then conventional ones. Also, although we think of them as Syrian style heads they are pretty common in Iran and Lebanon. Also, I personally prefer the conventional style head configuration so that I can use a funnel, vortex or super chief style bowl. I'd suggest just buying the best Syrian you can get rather then worry about the head since in Syria both style heads are pretty common.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:56 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

So if the head is no different from an Egyptian Brass hookah, what would the signifigance of having a Syrian style pipe? (Don't mean to sound insulting or demeaning just would like to know. BTW I am looking at the Syrians on John's site.)

What I am trying to get at is
Both are made from brass
Both have same style head
Both have same style base

What is the real differences? (Please no arguments from KM fans on this. I am in need of serious information)

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:12 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
So if the head is no different from an Egyptian Brass hookah, what would the signifigance of having a Syrian style pipe? (Don't mean to sound insulting or demeaning just would like to know. BTW I am looking at the Syrians on John's site.)

What I am trying to get at is
Both are made from brass
Both have same style head
Both have same style base

What is the real differences? (Please no arguments from KM fans on this. I am in need of serious information)
As to both being made from brass, not quite. Unless you specifically meant Egyptian brass, because they sell mostly the steel varieties here at least.

Egpytian Brass is great, I love it. I love Syrian brass more mainly because of the style, but as for differences in how good it smokes, there isnt really any, its just preference there. My Egyptian Full Brass Temsah is a heavy beast and scares Zeus, but it just doesnt do what my Syrian Brass does for me, preference in the end.

As for the head, yeah no big difference, especially since most syrians sold in the US have the male stem.

As for base, that depends on the hookahs you are looking at. Just because it is KM glass doesnt mean its good glass, and not all syrians come with good glass, in fact most sold in the US tend to have a "generic" base.

As for other differences to look for, the guages which will affect your pull. I don't like a wide open pull, i like a tad of resistance on my hookahs so its not a bad thing if it doesnt pour smoke out on its own to me.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
As to both being made from brass, not quite. Unless you specifically meant Egyptian brass, because they sell mostly the steel varieties here at least.

Egpytian Brass is great, I love it. I love Syrian brass more mainly because of the style, but as for differences in how good it smokes, there isnt really any, its just preference there. My Egyptian Full Brass Temsah is a heavy beast and scares Zeus, but it just doesnt do what my Syrian Brass does for me, preference in the end.

As for the head, yeah no big difference, especially since most syrians sold in the US have the male stem.

As for base, that depends on the hookahs you are looking at. Just because it is KM glass doesnt mean its good glass, and not all syrians come with good glass, in fact most sold in the US tend to have a "generic" base.

As for other differences to look for, the guages which will affect your pull. I don't like a wide open pull, i like a tad of resistance on my hookahs so its not a bad thing if it doesnt pour smoke out on its own to me.

Excellent info.... is there any more you could provide?

I am really trying to learn all I can. I am one of those people that takes an interest in something and learns everything possible about the subject.

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Paul, basically what makes a Syrian narghile different (for the most part but not always) is the closed common smoke chamber, all brass either cast or drawn rather then spun as Egyptian rigs, a somewhat tighter draw then is the case with stuff from else where and a heavier construction. I am a firm believer that the closed common style smoke chamber results in a cooler, more dense and richer smoke and personally I want a slight resistance when I draw since it makes control over smoke quantity easier. It is my experience that drawn or cast all brass construction is more durable and gives better performance over the long term then the mixed spun stainless/brass methods used by the Epytians. As to glass PL is right that no one has a monopoly on fine glass work (meaning very thick, striation/bubble free and of uniform wall thickness) but I have found perfect glass to be more common to Syrian rigs then anything else.

As to Egyptian stuff well I've owned decent generics, a whole heap of KMs, an El Ashrey & a Shisha king. All of which are very good rigs. I do prefer the the style of Syrian products for the most part and my favorite rigs are Syrians. Still, the fact remains that the best of what Syria and Egypt have to offer are amazingly good so it's largely a personal preference.

In functional terms narghiles from Iran and Lebanon seem to share more in common with Syrian construction methods but again that is not a hard and fast rule but a generality. I have a couple of Iranian rigs and they are really amazing but they smoke Syrians so again it's a stylistic matter rather then a practical one.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; July 28th, 2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

To me, the Syrian construction is what pulls me in. The all brass feel is much different then you will get with any other metal egyptian. There are usually elaborate etchings on the stem, shank, hose port, tray, and tray platform- not so commonly found in Egyptian hookahs.

The welds are always cleaner, and the heavy and sturdy feeling of the brass is unlike any other metal. The finish of the stems, the shine of the metal, is always amazing on the solid stems.
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I concur that the quality of the finish and build on Syrians is usually amazing while Egyptian rigs are merely very good.
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

to me a syrian hookah and an etched brass stem are synonomous. When i think egyptian hookahs i think stainless steel, with different shapes like on it. And sometimes platic pears and stuff.

I think that syrian hookahs look a lot more elegant. i think they are generally leaner looking and more detail oriented.

I GREATLY prefer the aesthetics of a syrian hookan than a egyptian. Dont get me wrong, i love my KM to death, but my next rig will probably be the small AF solid rig.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Hajo is a lot more elegant than I am in stating things, he treats every message like he is writing it, I try to keep my messages always 2 steps above counterstrike banter.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook