Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

how do you know?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

Default how do you know?

ok so being new to the hookah world and all( about a month in) i was wondering if i was getting the full potential out of my hookah. how do you know if youv burned the shisha or not? aside from huge harshness.. after one is done smoking what should the shisha look like? if its burned it turns black.. if you complete smoking a bowl it looks black...or does it? this has been on my mind for a while. if someone can illuminate for me how you know whether or not you are burning shisha?
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: how do you know?

Simply you can take your foil off.

You could take a poker or a needle or something and poke though a hole you already made and test for crunchyness.

Or gain more experience and taste and feel that the tobacco is done without having to do the former 2 suggestions.

burnt tobacco is usually black and dry and crunchy.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:03 AM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

When you take the foil off if there is black tobacco stuck to the foil.. you burnt it.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:05 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevincett View Post
When you take the foil off if there is black tobacco stuck to the foil.. you burnt it.
Not saying Joe does this, but dont let the tobacco touch, it is supposed to bake not burn.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:06 AM
imthatguy
Hookah Newbie

what should the tobacco look like at the end of a session...?
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:07 AM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
Not saying Joe does this, but dont let the tobacco touch, it is supposed to bake not burn.
Haha I learned that from the first time I setup a hookah
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

What I usually do to see if I my shisha is burned is I just chew it and if it crunches like corn flakes then I got some extra extra well done shisha. .. just kidding. lol

It should just look like everything else that gets burn, black and crispy, the shisha on the bottom might not be as burnt as the top but if the majority of it is burned then your going to get the o' so dreadful burnt shisha taste.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
what should the tobacco look like at the end of a session...?
my thoughts exactly
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:17 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i can usually tell now when the bowl is finished from the flavor change. it tastes "stale" after 40 minutes-1.5 hours. then i'll check the foil, it will be crispy and dry as hell.

i don't even burn it anymore, it's become an easy technique for me to smoke without burning now. it took me a lot of practice (300+ bowls) but i've got it. now to try tangiers...(fingers crossed)
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Fidelis Mortuus
Banned

lol ok so let me get this straight... if you burn it its black and crispy.. and at the end of a session its black and crispy...so if my information is correct...burning it and "baking" it produce the same effect so there really is not very many ways you can tell if you burned it at the end of a session.....lol
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

Well you can bake something for a long time before it burns, Think of it as baking a cake, if you leave a cake in the oven longer than it should it would char up turn black, have a crispy texture and taste like crap.... now if we want a more manly example think of it as cooking a burger, if you leave it on the grill to long it will char up, turn black and taste like crap. lol hope that clears it up a little. lol
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:43 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis Mortuus View Post
lol ok so let me get this straight... if you burn it its black and crispy.. and at the end of a session its black and crispy...so if my information is correct...burning it and "baking" it produce the same effect so there really is not very many ways you can tell if you burned it at the end of a session.....lol
Yes..... and No.
At the end of a session you would not be able to tell the difference.
During the session there is.

If you are burning it you will be able to taste it.

If you are Baking it correctly it will remain smooth on the taste until the end.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Before it get's harsh, you can taste that it is about to burn.
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Koapono23
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
Before it get's harsh, you can taste that it is about to burn.
Yea its really that simple....taste.

Smoke till it tastes burnt. Thats when you know that bowl is done.
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Demonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Demonix

The best way I've found to prevent burning so far, is to move the coal(s) around every 5-10 minutes to equally cook the shisha.
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

you can smoke it a while with out getting any black in there. ive pulled open bowls after 15-20 mins and theres no black at all, honestly i dont pull the tobacco mid way through very much. you will get some black a ways in but you will know when you burn it

-matt
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

if you taste a difference you already burnt it, but you if you catch it early enough you can save it before any damage is done.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:55 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i will admit that i think i smoke my hookah a bit hot lately but part of it is just the whole combo of the rig but i can still tell a bit but if you do keep smoking it hot you will get used to it

-matt
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

basicly you should get about 40 minutes out of most shisha before you notice a staleer or harsher taste, its normal after 40 minutes for this to happen for standered bowls as this is about time for your bowl to be done, this of course varies with your set up a bit.

by the end of your session you should have a black and hardend bowl of shisha, if you smoked the bowl correctly it will be liek this all the way though the shisha, if you got harsh taste and think your bowl is done, but you take the foil off and only the top layer is burnt then you used to much heat to quickly.

end result shoul dbe an almost even blakend crips shisha all the way to the bottom.
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
basicly you should get about 40 minutes out of most shisha before you notice a staleer or harsher taste, its normal after 40 minutes for this to happen for standered bowls as this is about time for your bowl to be done, this of course varies with your set up a bit.

by the end of your session you should have a black and hardend bowl of shisha, if you smoked the bowl correctly it will be liek this all the way though the shisha, if you got harsh taste and think your bowl is done, but you take the foil off and only the top layer is burnt then you used to much heat to quickly.

end result shoul dbe an almost even blakend crips shisha all the way to the bottom.
40 mins? thats half my session, i get well over an hour of great smoke out of a mod bowl (which is not the smallest bowl out there but sure not the largest and probably smaller than what most KM/syrian/etc hookah users are using)

-matt
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

oye, screw the amount of time because that will detract from what he is getting at---

Look, before the smoke gets so harsh you are on the floor crying swearing you'll never smoke again, it will go from smooth, to tickling your throat a bit, to kinda hot on the throat, to really bad, to death, try to stop it at step one by moving the coals around. if moving the coals around doesnt work, try moving and taking one off, if that won't do it, you probably are done. after a while you will get used to knowing how long your session will last given your hookah setup and tobacco.

Old July 29th, 2009, 03:29 AM
cbyerspace
Hookah Nut

well if its burnt properly, it will be black and crispy and ussually sticks togeather and can be taken out of the bowl as one big piece... thats ussually what happens for me... It helps alot to not let the shisha touch the foil, belive it or not using less tabbacco and not loading it up to the brim makes your session last longer... lol
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook