Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

More Desi Murli reviews please!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 28th, 2009, 05:18 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Exclamation More Desi Murli reviews please!

I've tried 8 out of 38 of their flavors. How am I supposed to try them all? This isn't Pokemon!!

There are so few reviews on DM but it seems pretty popular here. What gives, people? It's great stuff!
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:23 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: More Desi Murli reviews please!

Most of us smoke a variety of traditional stuff here along with various Nakhla flavors. For me, most of my hookah consumption is now with friends, so Desi Murli cannot be smoked often - I have to be alone or with my cigar-lovin' buddy.

Also, to me, I have tried most of the non-fruit flavors because I don't really care much for fruity. And there is just a handful of those anyway. Lastly, Plain is my favorite Desi flavor anyways.
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Well I smoke basically all the non-fruit based DM stuff although DM the 3 apple flavours they make are excellent. I don't write reviews for DM mainly because the flavours are so complicated that I have a hard time comming up with the words to describe it properly. To me the bottom line is that non-fruit based DM is simply the best stuff you can buy on the American market at any price.
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

I JUST got strawberry in the mail. Seriously, like two minutes ago. I'm gonna give it a few smokes, then write up a review later on. God, I can't wait to get this stuff into my hookah, it smells great!
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:58 PM
tdbmax
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
... I don't write reviews for DM mainly because the flavours are so complicated that I have a hard time comming up with the words to describe it properly....
I would have to agree. DM Lemon-lime is my favorite so far the citrus flavor is there, yet so subtle amongst the tobacco flavors. I don't know how else to describe it except that I enjoy it a great deal
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

i would be glad to tryout DM and all of the more complicated tobaccos, but i have heard that there is a lot of extra prep work involved, and i am just not confident enough in my abilities to spend money on something that i can mess up so easily.

Plus, going out and finding the stuff i would have to have to mix into it seems like a pretty daunting task where i live.

Or i am just really misinformed. Also a possibility
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

Hajo there has an awesome tutorial on setting it up. Personally, I'm just going to add the molasses and see if that works. If it's half as good as everyone says it is, it's worth the prep work.
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Since it seems a few more people are drifting into the wonderful world of full flavoured moassel i'll repost some guidelines for DM setup.

1) Mix 20-25grams of DM (depending upon the the size of the bowl you use) with 5g (or 1/4tsp) of glycerin and 5g (or 1/4tsp) of molasses. The molasses should NEVER be black strap but a lighter variety. Mix thoroughly with wet fingers taking care to remove any stems

2) Use a vortex, super chief or funnel bowl with a scalli mod and lightly pack leaving about 2-3mm of space from the top of the bowl. If you use a funnel be sure to use a scalli mod and cover it with cooking oil before putting it into the bowl.

3) Using a pin poke a column with 3-4 holes equally spaced and leave about 3/8" between the column.

4) Use natural coals only and make sure they are full lit before smoking. I use 3 pieces of coal but some insist that 4 is needed.

5) Rotate the coals every 3-4 minutes for best results

6) Wait 30+ seconds between draws and either inhale shallowly or not at all. Treat DM like a prized cigar and you'll get the most out of it. NO HOOVERING!
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

why is the scalli mod necessary?
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

I just opened my bag of plain DM. Whew! That's a unique, and pleasant smell. I have the day off work tomorrow, so I'm gonna try it then. Quick question though, does it HAVE to be mixed with molasses AND glycerin? I've read somewhere on here that it works with only molasses, or a 50/50 blend of molasses and glycerin in 1/4 tsp. Or is it all just personal preference, or as the particular shisha calls for?
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

You only need to use a scalli mod if you use a funnel. I say that because i've never had a great funnel session without one.

I've found that the smoke production without glycerin is too little to satisfy Western smokers. I have also found that glycerin makes mixing much easier and clean up after a session easier.

If you end up using closer to 20g of DM rather then nearer to 25g you can cut back on both a bit. Naturally it's a matter of preference so you can always start with 1/8tsp (2.5g) of both molasses and glycerin and see if it suits you. If so stick with it, if not up it to my recommendations. I have noted that plain DM is a bit dryer then then others so I use slightly more with it then with the flavoured types.

DO NOT SMOKE DM AS IT WAS A WASHED MOASSEL!
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

Quote:
...DO NOT SMOKE DM AS IT WAS A WASHED MOASSEL!
Indeed! I just got done with a bowl of Nakhla, and I'm definately feeling it. I'll be careful
Thanks for the advice too, I'm so looking forward to it. I'll get some photo documentation for those who are curious too.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Thanks for replying guys. I can smoke DM like it's a washed tobacco because I'm a nicotine junkie, but Hajo is right, you won't last long unless your tolerance is sky high. (Very very relaxing buzz though.)

I have also noticed if you leave the coals on for 5-10 minutes and get it really hot before inhaling, that improves the flavor and cloud thickness. I don't know why this is, it doesn't make any sense to me.

More reviews! This shisha is amazing!
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Baginoman
Hookah Newbie

umm instead of molasses can i use honey?
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Hey BM, I am glad to see you dig DM. It was a real revelation for me.

Honey doesn't have good burn characteristics so no, i don't recommend it.

I understand that some of the newer batches of DM are pretty wet and pre-mixed. If that is the case I suggest setting it up like Tangiers since that is how I do everything that is wetter then normal and unwashed.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

decided to look thru my stash and try some new DM. very glad i did. smoked some spicy apple. did a review on it.
was very saddened to see that some of my stash had grown mold on it. I should not have stored it in a cabinet so close to one of the windows that does catch the afternoon sun. I lost coffee, orange, watermelon, sweet melon.
Oh well live and learn.
Guess its time to order again!
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:34 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

i heard somewhere that white molasses and corn syrup are the same thing, is this true? I think i have an ancient jug of corn syrup in my pantry... and even if i dont, i know i can access it easily.

Also, is there any reason why you couldnt just mix up your whole 250 or 300g all at once?
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:39 AM
BIGPOPPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
Also, is there any reason why you couldnt just mix up your whole 250 or 300g all at once?
I do this all the time with my favorite DM flavs Roohfza and Khus. Have never had any problems with it and it seems that the molasses and glycerin meld with the tobacco and give better results over time. Just be sure to store in a cool dark area. I occasionally flip the container since some of the juice tends to settle.
Ive sent samples to some fellow members and all have had great smokes with my premixed DM.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Xanhonestpuckx
Brother of the Black Leaf

Send a message via AIM to Xanhonestpuckx Send a message via Yahoo to Xanhonestpuckx

OMG....DM.....so Awesome....just..yeah...Reviews coming in a few days once we smoke all 5 flavors that I got.

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
i heard somewhere that white molasses and corn syrup are the same thing, is this true? I think i have an ancient jug of corn syrup in my pantry... and even if i dont, i know i can access it easily.

Corn syrup has nothing to do with molasses in any meaningful sense. Don't use it, if you do your moassel will taste like crap.

I am under the impression that DM doesn't have any preservatives and wet stuff without preservatives tends to rot if not used quickly. As a result, I wouldn't suggest mixing up stuff unless you plan on using it all fairly quickly.
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:24 PM
BIGPOPPA

Quote:
I am under the impression that DM doesn't have any preservatives and wet stuff without preservatives tends to rot if not used quickly. As a result, I wouldn't suggest mixing up stuff unless you plan on using it all fairly quickly.
But glycerin can be used as a food preservitive so It should help to prolong the life of pre-mixed DM. Ive had pre-mixed DM last me several months with no issues at all. If anything it smoked better.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
I do this all the time with my favorite DM flavs Roohfza and Khus. Have never had any problems with it and it seems that the molasses and glycerin meld with the tobacco and give better results over time. Just be sure to store in a cool dark area. I occasionally flip the container since some of the juice tends to settle.
Ive sent samples to some fellow members and all have had great smokes with my premixed DM.
if you ever feel like send off any more samples............... lol.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

where can we get desi murli? is hookah1 the only place that has it?

-matt
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
where can we get desi murli? is hookah1 the only place that has it?

-matt
texashookah has it too, but that said I highly recommend hookah1. The website was so sketchy to me when I first was going to order but the operator is a world class guy. The price is right too mate.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Texashookah carries it as well. Considering shipping costs, it is about the same price both places.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook