Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Harsh Tangiers

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 29th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

Default Harsh Tangiers

Ok so tonight my buddies and I set up some tangiers to smoke and we had out horchata and orange soda. Now the horchata was great, it was just the orange soda that I had trouble with. Everytime we took a hit of orange soda it was just too hard/harsh. I could barely take a lungful because it was just so irritating. It couldn't really be a heat problem because I only had 2 CH nats on it opposite of each other and I packed the way how Eric did on HJohn's vid. So I have no idea would could be wrong maybe it's just user error? Anybody with this experience have any advice?
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Demonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Demonix
Default Re: Harsh Tangiers

Wat it Lucid or Noir line?
Noir line has that tickle it's known for because of the higher nicotine content, but usually you build up a tolerance and the tickle goes away. It took me about 45-60 minutes for it to go away. Don't feel it anymore
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
kingboyb
Banned

What type of bowl did you use?
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Demonix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
What type of bowl did you use?
I would assume since he said he packed it like john and eric said to in the video that he is definitely uses a phunnel
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Tangiers funnels are the ones you want, the funnel is actually lower so its harder to get the restricted airflow effect if the foil sags.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

Only got noir line and I def have funnels in my arsenal. I like the noir line for flavor plus the good buzz it gives.

I'm not sure if it's a "tickle" but when I watched PL's vid on kashmir peach it was kind of like that. I could barely take a full hit it was like my lungs were already full or heavy and I can't take a deep lungful. I had to let it out quick or it'll make me cough up a lung haha.

Last edited by Th3DonDada; July 29th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Try using 2 layers of hd foil with tangiers its the only way I smoke it when using coco coals.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

How are your holes over the center hole of the phunnel? Try enlarging them or poking more and keep the coals more towards the rim so as not to block them. Are you getting juices spilling over the rim of the bowl or coals sticking to the foil? Also keep in mind that Eric usually uses large phunnels so getting a small phunnel to smoke as good won't necessarily be the same.

Have you had any luck with the kashmir peach or is this only happening with the orange soda?
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

The kashmir peach was good but it's just orange soda I'm having a hard time with. Maybe it's because the fork I bought had a big square imprint on the prongs so it made larger holes but it would sometimes rip open the foil when i poke so I have to go through 2-3 sheets of foil. I had a friend sharpen the prongs but the holes it made were smaller and maybe that's why? I should probably go out and buy another fork because they're pretty cheap.

holes over the hole are pretty decent, there's no juice spilling on the top of the foil when poking holes, and the coal isn't really sticking to the foil but the ashes would plug up some holes. I guess Orange Soda and I don't really get along =/
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Knights
Hookah Newbie

Some Tangiers just fails.

I think that's the real answer here.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:26 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3DonDada View Post
The kashmir peach was good but it's just orange soda I'm having a hard time with. Maybe it's because the fork I bought had a big square imprint on the prongs so it made larger holes but it would sometimes rip open the foil when i poke so I have to go through 2-3 sheets of foil. I had a friend sharpen the prongs but the holes it made were smaller and maybe that's why? I should probably go out and buy another fork because they're pretty cheap.

holes over the hole are pretty decent, there's no juice spilling on the top of the foil when poking holes, and the coal isn't really sticking to the foil but the ashes would plug up some holes. I guess Orange Soda and I don't really get along =/
Hmm...if airflow is ok and you aren't overpacking or underpacking then the only thing I can think of is too much heat. I know I use less heat with Tangiers than with Nakhla, Starbuzz (thanks again btw), or AF. Was there a point when it did smoke ok or was it harsh the entire time? It'll probably be more helpful if more seasoned Tangiers smokers can share some of their experience.

I smoked the last of the orange soda not too long ago and it tasted fine from what I recall. I start with 3 CH QLs just to get it started faster and take off one coal when it gets to temperature. If I want to save on coals, I'll start with 2 and a windcover that I'll use on and off. There is "tickle" at first that somewhat goes away ~15-20 minutes into it but the smoke itself isn't harsh like it is when I overheat a bowl (not just Tangiers). That initial tickle can be too much to handle for some of my friends that have never smoked cigarettes or cigars. I'll add the third coal back on later to prolong the session and use 2 QLs for the second round. I start the coals positioned partially on the rim and move them closer towards the center as they put out less heat.

FWIW, I only use 1 layer of regular Reynolds foil wrapped tightly on a small Tangiers phunnel. I used the oyster fork Eric gave me but I get similar results with a pick/o-ring puller that I prefer using because it gives me cleaner holes. I have noticed differences between flavors/batches, ie with the Tangiers I have now, choco mint smokes great but maraschino cherry takes more effort to get right. I don't know if it makes a difference but that orange soda, choco mint, and maraschino cherry were all made by Eric when I got them whereas the Kashmir Peach was prepackaged.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

I guess so because all the tangiers that I got were prepackaged from John and they smoked fine. So having tangiers prepackaged is a possibility that it smokes better for me. But the tickle that you all are talking about, it's not like the one when you first started cigarettes where it would be hard to inhale. It's like having your lungs full when you take a little pull. Not sure if that's descriptive enough but yeah.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
DieselSmoke
Hookah Newbie

This happend to me the first time smoking tangiers, the second time i tried it i packed it as tightly into the bowl as i could and it smoked soo smoothly, and this was with maraschino cherry.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:29 AM
pinky
Hookah Newbie

Typically a underpacked symptom, what you describe here.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:04 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

orange soada does have more of a weird feeling. either you underpacked, need acclimate just a touch more, or let the heat sit to long or something

-matt
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Demonix
Banned

If you can't find an answer here, just go to the Tangiers forum, I'm pretty damn sure you'll get your best answers there.
Tangiers.us
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

I guess I'll try packing more but don't really remember if I did oh well I kind of dont have enough orange soda to try it again in my small funnel.
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:24 PM
kingboyb
Banned

How long did you smoke the Orange soda before you stopped? If you are getting the Tangiers tickle (that sounds naughty) give it 15 minutes or so and it goes away.
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

To me it seems like every Tangiers is different. I can smoke Tangs Peach Ice Tea very well and then throw some Blue Gum Ball and pack it the same and taste weak or to harsh. Idk its some goofy stuff
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
How long did you smoke the Orange soda before you stopped? If you are getting the Tangiers tickle (that sounds naughty) give it 15 minutes or so and it goes away.
30 mins I think but it's not really a tickle in the throat it's more of a "tickle" in the lungs like the smoke wants to gtfo and fast.
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

was it thin and harsh?
or thick and harsh?

thin and harsh is underpacked
thick and harsh is too much heat

Last edited by Scoop; July 30th, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

That sounds more like harsh smoke. The tickle is more in the back of the throat and it's kinda like an after effect, ie. inhale cool smoke, exhale, throat tickle. When the initial tickle is strong though it can start after or toward the end of the inhale.

It might be hard to tell if you were getting clouds because you said you could barely take a hit. If you suspect it is underpacked, then just take off the foil, add a little juicy moassel to the top (not much), reapply foil and try heating again. If it's too much heat. Try building up to temperature instead of starting hot and backing off. That'll help give you a better sense of where the sweet spot is at.
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Th3DonDada
Hookah Nut

lol ok here's how it was: Thick clouds but harsh with 2 coals on a medium funnel? I thought it would be ok. Like I would try and fight the harshness but that would end up with me coughing like crazy. I guess I'll have a go with it some other time.
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

how far in did you put the coals? i usually put 3 coals all the way to the edge on my tangiers and dont have issues (but orange soda give more issues i wont lie) some times i would go 2 coals but it depends, lately 3 has been the norm on it

-matt
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Never understood the appeal of Tangiers. I grabbed a few of the flavors a couple years back and they were all really harsh on the throat and lungs, with a really pronounced tobacco sharpness (Reminded me of chewing tobacco).

Tried everything I could think of with regards to heating and packing... Never could make the stuff plesant to smoke. Decided to go back to fumari, much simpler.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook