Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Time to act Against Yahoo

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Time to act Against Yahoo

For the most part I pay no attention to the other forum but this is something that we all need to focus on right now. It has come to my attention that yahoo is not allowing pay per click advertising for narghile related site because they are commonly associated with narcotic use. The thread at issue is:
http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php...pic=14883&st=0

I know we have several merchants here and they likely use PPC marketing and I hope that the merchants here vote with their dollars and take their business else where or at least express their displeasure with yahoo. I really think that all of us should on principle complain and sign the petition that the hookah hub guy is getting going.

Obviously I donít expect yahoo to do anything in response to complaints because a few hundred narghile based businesses and a few tens of thousands of shisha fans is hardly going to effect a company of that size. Still, if you allow big companies to abuse you without complaint you can expect that treatment from everyone in the corporate world. I hate the idea of being associated with a bunch of slack jawed 85 I.Q. slobs wrecking what mental ability they have and so should all of you. At least if we complain enough some people willing to think may have the opportunity to agree with us so I hope we can all act on this.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Time to act Against Yahoo

Well... to be honest....

I think Yahoo has the right to pick and choose their policies as they see fit... they also have the right to decline business if they wish....

.....just as much as I have the right to use Google instead.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:31 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

honestly its their choice so let them do what they want. its like the sign businesses have "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" so they are reserving the right to refuse service to hookah users/sites/vendors
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Ace2666
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Yahoo just got pwned.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster
Well Said!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Yahoo decides to ban hookah related ads because they claim that the public sees us as a bunch of dope fiends and you guys don't have a problem with that? I'm amazed. Do they have a right to do so? Sure, people and companies have a right to be pig headed and stupid but that hardly means that it is a good idea to not challenge them when they behave that way. When we decide to sit back and let yahoo to portray us in such a fashion and don't even bother to point out why they are wrong to do so we are essentially saying we have neither the ability nor the interests refute how we are portrayed by yahoo. If you choose to not challenge lies you must expect them to spread and accept the logical outcomes of apathy and I assume we all know what that means to our hobby.
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

Yahoo sucks anyway. That's why you're likely to find a lack of interest... I don't think too many people use it anymore

Hajo, IMO internet apathy and social apathy are completely different things. This is a sign that Yahoo is behind the times, which I'm sure that most people already knew. By dating themselves in this way, it only ensures that yet another group of people will turn to the better alternatives out there... Internet portal sites FTL
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

just another excuse to ban Yahoo. I only use Yahoo for Email and reading new stories. I use Google (or Ask.com) for just about everything else, including my blog & youtube account (iGoogle thingy).

It's a sad state of affairs that a large company such as Yahoo has their collective head shoved up someone's backside. Instead of doing correct and responsible research, they probably just had a few complaints and did a quick scan over. As horrible as it is, many "head" shops ofter items that distubingly resemble hookahs (although most of us know better). The stigmata of Hookah is still strong in the USA...

"We have to protect our image, even if there's NO THREAT in the first place. We have to be proactive and BAN EVERYTHING, becasue SOMEBODY might think something bad of us..."

IMO it's the Baby Boomers striking back at the younger generations, becasue they are too old to enjoy all the crap they once did, they don't want any of us to enjoy anything either. Even if it's 100% legal (Tobacco)... until they try to rip that away too
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I' ve always hated yahoo. With that said, i think what they are doing is a close minded decision. They should research what they are saying because they are spewing false assumptions.

I've always used google. I will continue to do so. This isn't a nail in their coffin, but a lot of people will quit using yahoo as well as petition, or write them to complain. It's crap when business make narrow minded decisions like this but for reasons like this, this is why our fourm and any other forums have stringent rules about narcotic association and strict ban policies for those who don't comply with said rules.

Each time something is brought up like that, it puts hookah in a negative light. It's irritating.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:03 PM
rayver
Hookah Nut

yeah until google falls onto the same steps.... we have to improve hookah PR at every point possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster
Well... to be honest....

I think Yahoo has the right to pick and choose their policies as they see fit... they also have the right to decline business if they wish....

Old November 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

One of the many problems of inaction in cases like this is that the search engine and PPC markets are dominated by a few big companies and once one of the major players decides they can abuse minor niche market like narghiles the others will likely do the same. Still, I suppose the truth is that given most people in this hobby simply are not disturbed enough to start protesting. Of course the same is true of cigarette users who year after year passively accept higher taxes, ever more public bans, being denied health insurance and losing custody claims on their children and never join lobbying groups or protest anything. It seems some of us even accept the right of internet oligopolies not just lie about us and ban us from using their services but don't feel the need to protest such actions. Maybe we really do get what we deserve.
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

yahoo fantasy sports for the win :P
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM
kingofkingsxxl
Hookah Newbie

Although Yahoo has a right to do business as they see fit... however, Yahoo and Google are places people come to explore the world. If Yahoo is directing ,or rather controling, the flow of information (I speak of information as a whole), then Yahoo has the subtle influence of changing prospectives worldwide. You see how it is such a powerful tool? Recently, they caused some Chinese Activists some punishments for their blogging of anti communist sentiments. Yahoo apparently searched the emails, as required by the Chinese government, and then reported what these activists were communicating to the Chinese Government.
Perhaps the over 1 Billion people in China will never really get a chance to experience our beloved hookah..
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Big business almost acts as badly or worse then big government and often the two work together to dominate society and destroy cultures. Yahoo supporting or doing the bidding of the PRC shows such as much. That Yahoo and google often actively suppress view they find objectionable and censor companies they don't like also shows that the desire to make money is not always the motivation for a company. In fact they would rather not host websites and take ad revenue from companies and people they don't like shows they value controlling the flow of info more then profits. When companies get to be sufficiently huge and are able to influence public policy against the interests of society the results are not much different then when the state controls the economy.

Old December 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM
hookahMaster22
Hookah Newbie

Thats BS I have always despised yahoo but now I have one more reason. I never use yahoo anyway. Also at any point that I see someone using yahoo, I try my best to convert them over to google. Time and time again google has proven itself as being for the general public no matter who they may be. Also I know for sure that google still allows hookah advertisements cause I constantly have hookah and pipe related ads from google on the hookah pages of my website.
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yeah, they suck balls anyway. Whens the last time you hear "YahhooOOOOOO!" on a TV commercial? Like 5 years ago.
They are worthless when you have google.
And frankly i don't think this will happen to Google, cause it's money, and they love money.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook