Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tumbak

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

Question Tumbak

Hi there,

Does anybody know how to prepare a hookah with tumbak? Tumbak is the tobacco with no flavour. Somebody gave as a present tumbak when I asked for molases and I do not know how to prepare it.

Somebody can help? Maybe a video?

Thanks.
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Tumbak

Do you mean tombac?
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

Here is a video a member on here made, there are 2 parts to it..

Part 1: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...ls&videoid=838

Part 2: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...ls&videoid=839

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgheyitskenny View Post
Do you mean tombac?
I think it's pretty obvious that's what he means haha
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgheyitskenny View Post
Do you mean tombac?
Yes. If you mean plan tobacco.
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

If it's plain tobacco it could be either something you have to mix with molasses and glycerin, or it could be that deal where you have to soak it in water. I recommend posting pics of whatever you have.
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

ur sopoased to smoke it without foil :S
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic-tac View Post
Hi there,

Does anybody know how to prepare a hookah with tumbak? Tumbak is the tobacco with no flavour. Somebody gave as a present tumbak when I asked for molases and I do not know how to prepare it.

Somebody can help? Maybe a video?

Thanks.
First off be sure you know what tombac is. If it has anything that makes it sticky or something other then totally dry it's not tombac. Zaghloul is not tombac. If it looks like a brick and is bone dry it's tombac.

How to set it up.

1) Cut of a chunk about about the diameter of your bowl and twice as high as the depth.

2) soak it in water until it's supple. Typically you'll be looking at 10-15 minutes. Squeeze out as much water as possible out of the leaf.

3) Strip out the stems ( they have tons of nicotine and lend a harsh taste) and throw them out.

4) Tear up about 2/3 the leaf into small pieces and pile it into the bowl saving the bigger bits for the top.

5) When packing the bowl keep it tightly packed.

6) Place a few hot coals on the leaf and once it starts smoldering after a couple of minutes draw on the hose.

7) Move the coals as the leaf burns and brush away the ash.

Notes: It's best to use a tombac bowl but since those are basically impossible to get in the West something broad & shallow with several holes is your best bet. When you draw on the hose keep in mind this isn't some candyish goop like SB so wait about 40-60 seconds between draws, don't inhale just treat it like a cigar or Western pipe. Drink lots of water/tea coffee and smoke only on a full stomach. This stuff is strong but a treat if you forget about the clouds and concentrate on the flavours. If you hoover it you'll get sick.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:50 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

i had something similar when i wet iran and i am telling you this stuff will kill you after about 10 pulls i felt so bad. but i am being serious with about three pies of coal (small ones) about 1 coconara it was thicker than starbuzz smoke it was some of the biggest and puffiest clouds.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Notes: It's best to use a tombac bowl but since those are basically impossible to get in the West something broad & shallow with several holes is your best bet. When you draw on the hose keep in mind this isn't some candyish goop like SB so wait about 40-60 seconds between draws, don't inhale just treat it like a cigar or Western pipe. Drink lots of water/tea coffee and smoke only on a full stomach. This stuff is strong but a treat if you forget about the clouds and concentrate on the flavours. If you hoover it you'll get sick.
Thanks for the info.

By tombac bowl do you mean something like this?

In Middle East is what is used for tombac.

Cheers.
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I've seen tombac bowls like that but actually the designs are often quite different. A more common design is a huge diameter ceramic or clay bowl that is very shallow with a few large holes. My photo album has mine in it. Some times they have very high sides with a wire mesh to hold the leaf in place (usually you see that in India) and occasionally you'll see more elaborate cast brass tombac bowls.
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:12 AM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

Where's your photo album? I've searched for it but I did not found it.
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Here it is:
http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk230/HFlettner/
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

Hi there,

If you mean this bowl...

...it is the common bowl used for molasses in Middle East. The one I showed is the one used for tumbak.

Cheers.

PS: your Syrian hookah is beautiful. Syrian craft is very nice and elegant usually compared to Egyptian. This does not mean Egyptian hookah are ugly. It's only that Syrian work is very stylish.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

That bowl is about 3 times the diameter and weight of a normal Egyptian style bowl and it's very shallow although the perspective of the photo doesn't show it. I know it's a tombac bowl since I saw it being used by the owner of the cafe in Tunis for that purpose. At the time he didn't have anything else for the application so he sold me what he was using. It also came with a wire mesh to hold more leaf but since I never have the time to smoke for more then an hour or so I never used it. The bowl you showed looks more like a Saudi style tombac bowl but like a said the designs very quite a lot depending upon where you go.

Thanks for the complement on my Syrians. I am a big fan of of them as well the Iranian stuff I have. I love the style but heft of the construction is even better.
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

The bowl I showed was bought in Syria. Curious...

Let's say bowls in different Arab countries tend to be diferent. For example, in Syria bowls tend to be inserted in the stem while Egyptian bowls cover the stem.

Cheers.
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Good point! I did not look at the stem of the bowl you posted so thanks for pointing that out! Certainly we can agree as you suggested. Did I answer your questions about how to smoke tombac? If you need any tips or stuff just let me know. I've into it for years.
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

hajo, you thing the "party bowls" or "king bowls" by SS are similar, they are freaking HUGE (they do work well for black moassel)

-matt
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:25 AM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

I have a SS party bowl, and holy crap its big, we packed one with nakhla and it took 3 sets of 3 CH coals to burn the entire bowl down, after stirring it up after each set. I never measured the ammount of tobacco it could hold, but man they can seriously kick your ass.
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:04 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Szlos View Post
I have a SS party bowl, and holy crap its big, we packed one with nakhla and it took 3 sets of 3 CH coals to burn the entire bowl down, after stirring it up after each set. I never measured the ammount of tobacco it could hold, but man they can seriously kick your ass.
ya it can hold like a 50 gram pack depending on brand ( i think my friend has poured a whole HH 50 gram in one of the first times i saw him use it) its over kill for most stuff but it works great for some things

-matt
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I've seen those things but never used them. It seems that what is needed for a tombac bowl to well is a few large holes to help with the airflow and a lot area to set the leaf down. I would guess that tall bowls wouldn't work that well since it would be hard to manage the coals. What I really want is one of the big brass or wooden tombac bowls they make Iran and Caucus nations but i've never had the chance to buy one or I didn't think to do it when I could have.
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I've seen those things but never used them. It seems that what is needed for a tombac bowl to well is a few large holes to help with the airflow and a lot area to set the leaf down. I would guess that tall bowls wouldn't work that well since it would be hard to manage the coals. What I really want is one of the big brass or wooden tombac bowls they make Iran and Caucus nations but i've never had the chance to buy one or I didn't think to do it when I could have.
well the party bowls have a few large holes and a good amount of area ( 9 holes, 3.5 inch wide and about an inch deep)... i just dont know if i have the balls to try tombac

-matt
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:41 AM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

Hi there,

Concerning your question, HF, I tried it and was a slight disaster. I couldn't make it work properly. I will ask help from some good friends to see it with my eyes, but few people smoke tumbak around me.

Talking about bowls, deep bowls are a shit. They make you waste a lot molasses and coals and the smoke is not uniform. For the most part of molasses the best thing is a big diameter and a small height. In Middle East, for example, in some cafes they used bowls with a height of 1 mm!!!! I'm not joking. They save tobacco and can use small amounts of coal.

Cheers.
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I think you may be confusing something like Zaghloul or Salloum plain with tombac since I just noticed that you mentioned molasses. Tombac has no molasses, it comes a brick shaped slab of totally dry tobacco leaf. The method I described and the bowl types i've been talking about are for tombac. If we are talking about the same thing then you should note that I've had best results smoking tombac out of very shallow, wide bowls. The one I use (the pic from my photo book) is about 7mm deep and it works great. I haven't seen bowls that are 1mm deep but I am sure they are around. if you follow the multi-step procedure I detailed at the start of this thread you should have no trouble but remember you won't get much of smoke compared to moassel of any type.
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

http://www.hookahshop.co.uk/saudi-st...586d8417922ea1 The saudi tombak Bowl
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

Well, just to check if we are talking about the same, there's a picture of the box and the tobacco itself.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook