Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Just getting into Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
thewaxynoodle
Hookah Newbie

Default Just getting into Hookah

What's the difference between quick light and natural coals?
I've seen both thrown around a lot but I'm not sure what makes one better than the other
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk
Default Re: Just getting into Hookah

QL, or Quick lights are usually made with a gunpowder type of substance which causes them to light faster. Sometimes these coals can give off a chemical taste when smoking.

Nat, Natty's or Natural coals are made from natural material like wood or coconut and have no added chemicals so they take longer to light. These coals usually have no taste to them therefore adding no extra taste to your smoke.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
Matt-641
Hookah Pro

Quicklights you can light up in a couple of minutes with a lighter or some type of flame. Naturals take about 8-15 min to light (depending on your stove/burner) but don't add any taste to the flavor (in a good way). Naturals are also a little healthier than QL.

Hope that helps.
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Guido
Hookah Nut

Go with ******* Hookah Quicklights you get the best of both worlds. Their made from coconut shell and also take less than a minute to light.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:06 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

ql's give me headaches.
naturals don't.
that's it.

haha, but for a lot of us here we use naturals because they are usually tasteless, they last longer, and burn hotter. the only problem with these though is that it takes about 3-8 mins to light (depending on the brand of coal).

all you have to do with quicklights is hit it with a bic lighter and it lights instantly and is usually ready in 1-2 mins. ql's don't last as long as nats though, and sometimes there is a lot of taste with them. they give me headaches, personally.

the only ql i will reccommend is ******* hookah quicklights. they are the best in the market (in my, and a lot of others opinion(s) )
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:32 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I have some Al Fakher Coconut QL's that aren't so bad. But the ******* Hookah ones are the way to go.

But in all honesty, you should only use naturals.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:49 AM
Genie
Hookah Nut

I use only the naturals and I don't mind that they take longer to light. I'd say the Shishacos I use take around 7 or 8 minutes on my cheap little electric coil, I've never timed it. I've perfected my timing with them though. I know that in the time it takes me to set up my hookah for a session and put it on my hookah table, my coals will be ready. It's become quite the ritual for me!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
cemab4y
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to cemab4y

QL coals are fine for a beginner. Just hold the coal in your tongs, and light it with a match or lighter. It will spark for minute or so. Wait until the sparking is entirely finished, and place it on the foil. Some (not all) QL coals will impart a "gasoline" flavor to your tobacco. Avoid cheap QL coals.

I prefer Japanese coals. They take a bitlonger to light, I use a "blowtorch" type lighter. They have no flavor or taste at all, the burn clean, very little ash, easy cleanup.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Let me make a bit of a clarification here :

Neither Quick Light Coals or Natural Coals are the "Superior" choice. Its up to your own personal preference.

I think many people around here give quicklight coals a bad rep because they mistake them for "Instant" coals that once the vegetable accelerant burns off they just toss it on the bowl, start smoking, and wonder why it tastes like ass.

Quicklights, just like naturals, require a few minutes for the entire coal to reach temperature. If you're using quicklights, after the accelerant has burned off, let the coals sit for a few minutes to heat all the way through. You wont get any flavor or odd scents after that unless the coal is truly of poor quality. I've found ******* Hookah Quicklights and Golden Coal Quicklights to be acceptable choices for when I need them.

Natural coals require some form of external heat source for an extended duration to light. Usually a gas or electric coil stove. Natural coals have no accelerant on them, and will need several minutes of direct heat to light the entire coal from outside to inside. They generally tend to give off no smells while lighting, and some consider them "cleaner" when smoking.

I prefer natural coals as I feel I get a longer duration out of them, they produce better heat, and after smoking for a number of years and becoming aware of nuances in flavor, they have little to no taste.

Quicklights are an excellent choice for someone just starting out, they make it easier to worry about packing your bowl, setting up your hookah, getting comfortable and relaxing, ect. Once you've been smoking for a long time, you'll most likely find you enjoy natural coals better, and wont mind the few minutes they take to light on the stove.

On a side note :

One of my pet peeves around hookahpro is that people think they need to be telling you what you "should use" because it happens to be what they personally use. Read the threads, do some research, experiment on your own. You'll generally get a feel for what products are good, whats mediocre, and whats terrible. Make sure that the number one thing you pay attention to is that YOU enjoy what you're using and smoking. Don't think that something is wrong with you just because you don't like something that someone else loved. If you love quicklight coals and decide naturals arnt for you, thats the way to go, regardless of what anyone else says.

Last edited by HookahWaffle; August 22nd, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

these threads are why i love hp, someone asks a serious legitimate question and gets a full detailed sincere answer. good job guys
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post

One of my pet peeves around hookahpro is that people think they need to be telling you what you "should use" because it happens to be what they personally use. Read the threads, do some research, experiment on your own. You'll generally get a feel for what products are good, whats mediocre, and whats terrible. Make sure that the number one thing you pay attention to is that YOU enjoy what you're using and smoking. Don't think that something is wrong with you just because you don't like something that someone else loved. If you love quicklight coals and decide naturals arnt for you, thats the way to go, regardless of what anyone else says.
This.

I like coconara's and I keep a box of Golden Coal Quicklights around as my backup coal.

If you wait till the quicklights are completely ashed over, they smoke pretty damn clean, as long as you avoid the really cheapo coals like Rolland (The brand that every damn smoke shop feels the need to carry.)
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
thewaxynoodle
Hookah Newbie

Okay thanks for the input everyone
I've been using QL's for the past few weeks and haven't noticed any bad flavor or headaches
So for now anyways I'll probably stick with those
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

You ought to give the nattys a try some time.

I used quicklights for years, but the difference is incredible. The flavors pop a lot more.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Bogalu
Banned

Ive smoked 3 kings 40mm coals for about 2 years now and do love them. Ive just recently bought Hookah Johns ******* Hookah Coals both quick light and Natural lights. I like these coals too. No chemical taste to them at all if you have the QL ******* hookah coals at all if you let them get completely lit. Although everyone seems to be tearing apart QL because of the duration the last, I can only get 30 min tops out of ******* hookah coals while 3 kings I can pull 1 hour every session. 3 kings does have a slight chemical taste to them but is the best quicklight on the market IMO. I will probably be returning to my 3 kings 40mm only because Hookah Johns coals will end up costing too much because I need 2 coals for every bowl I make compared to 1 coal for 3 kings.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook