Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

which is better to cover my bowl with...foil, metal or glass screen

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Fudgethesmoker
Hookah Newbie

Default which is better to cover my bowl with...foil, metal or glass screen

I would like to know what would be better to cover my bowl with a piece of foil, or a metal or glass screen. I find that foil gets sucked down and i burn my shisha and the metal screens holes are to big and i burn my shisha anyway. I have not tried a glass screen and was wondering if it is any better. SO which one thanks
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: which is better to cover my bowl with...foil, metal or glass screen

I like foil because you can set the hole pattern to what ever you want which you can't do with anything else. No clean up and cheapness are good as well.
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I would say "Foil", because you can control the size of the holes and the "tightness" of the seal and sag. Check out my "How To" video of setting up a hookah. You can create a really tight drum like barrier between the shisha and the coal, using foil. Try out my technique for applying the foil and see how that works out for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Calypso
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Calypso

good video Sambooka. I have to agree that foil is tops. But if I may add that I recently adopted the foil ring method. For those who dont know what that is, just watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cpNKW0_QE. Starting at 3:00 in you will see what I'm talking about.
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I am going to do a video of this method actually, because I use it every time I smoke Nakhla So watch for it! Yeah, it is definitely a great method to try, especially with Nakhla! I will try to get it done soon ...

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:12 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I'd reccomend foil. It's easier for me to manage. I don't care for the screens because of the size of the holes. Other than that, i haven't tried glass. godo luck man.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:55 AM
kingofkingsxxl
Hookah Newbie

i hear foil shrapnals (sp??) so I've been using an aluminum screen. glass screen sounds interesting, where can i find those?
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkingsxxl
i hear foil shrapnals (sp??) so I've been using an aluminum screen. glass screen sounds interesting, where can i find those?
They look to be unavailable at the moment, but you can check them out here.

Old November 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Good video Samb! You look really different in the video then you do in your logo pic here which is strange.

Glass screens are not available since Smiley's went belly up but I guess you could go to his shop and drop about $40 for the bowl and screen ( I think they are meant to work together) but I don't see the point honestly. I don't think that foil has any downsides and the metal screens are just not very effective in my experience.
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Good video Samb! You look really different in the video then you do in your logo pic here which is strange.
Same guy, my face just got a little pudgy and my arms got a little smaller, I stopped working out for a few months to let an old shoulder injury heal up. I am back in the gym as of last week, but will take me a few months to get back in shape ... and my shoulder still hurts I think I have some scar tissue from my injury, I will most likely have to go to the doctor to be sure that everything is ok. Until then though I will continue lifting in moderation.

Thanks for the compliment on the video, I have some more coming! I will eventually do a re-make of the setup video. I wasn't happy with it, but it was my first video ... I'll do a better setup video next time. For now though, the one up there is pretty informative and gets its point across. I wish I had a video like that when I was starting out!

Old November 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

dude i love the video sam, it's part of what brought me back!! as for this topic, for me it depends on the bowl that i'm using and how lazy i feel at the time. if im using my smiley bowl, then there is no question, glass top FTW! on a standard bowl it just depends on if i feel like making the holes in the foil or not.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I am glad you liked the video angemonkwj! I was hoping people would enjoy it and find helpful advise and knowledge from it! Good to see you around, we missed ya!

Old December 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM
hookahMaster22
Hookah Newbie

I always use foil, and use a tooth pick to poke holes into it. The toothpick always provides the perfect size of holes. If you are having trouble with the foil sagging down into your tobacco. You could always use two squares of foil on top of each other. It makes it a little more durable.
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM
jester589
Hookah Newbie

Going to have to be the person that agrees with everyone else and says foil. Just make sure you aren't overpacking if you are getting burnt shisha, either that or tone down the heat if possible.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

GLASS SCREEN!!!! YEEEEEAHHHHH!!!!!

I effing love glass screen... I got a glass bowl and glass screen and hookah will never be the same again...
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

I would be careful buying Smiley's stuff though... He had this tendency to lie about what his products really do (anyone who remembers the claims that the buzz from hookah is aluminum poisoning...) and tell people whatever they wanted to hear to buy his stuff... not saying that his stuff is bad, but just from that glass screen description, you would think that it would fit most normal bowls... but it really doesn't, it's quite small. But I still stand by the tulip bowl... it's a good rig
Old December 23rd, 2007, 03:39 AM
ExoticImports
Vendor

I saw foil all the way. As a Hookah Distributor, Hookah Smoker, Hookah Manufacturer and Creator, I only use foil. Although, I do sell the screens and heads with covers, as well as other items, I will never use anything else other than foil.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

choosy moms choose foil. :P

i always go with foil because of the hole patterns you can do, the thickness of the different kinds of foils, the way the shiny side reflects heat, blah blah. no question about it - choose foil.

i love sambooka.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:01 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

foil is by far the best thing to use i say, if you use a glass screen if you drop it there goes a whole thing you can use again, a metal screen has to be changed from time to time. also it doesnt matter if you put it shiny side up or down. there is a small difference but it is so small you wouldnt be able to test it effectively without some accurate instrumentation.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
also it doesnt matter if you put it shiny side up or down.
even a smallest of differences matter

Old December 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...89&cat_id=1337

Quote:
Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?
Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

The exception is when using Reynolds Wrap® Release® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. The non-stick coating is applied during manufacturing to the dull side of the foil. Always place the non-stick (dull) side toward the food.
coming from the makers of the aluminum foil and they put their product through extensive tests to know everything about it and always get the same quality. the way it conducts heat will be the same basically which is what you are doing. since the temperature difference between the shiny side and not is also hard to measure without accurate instrumentation what difference would it be on cooking if it was something like a .0002 temperature difference because that is VERY minimal. that temperature difference on a hookah would not matter in any way because it is so small.
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:49 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

:-O

+1 boomhauer, thanks for that info. good research, ive been converted.
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

I use foil for the most part. I have some glass screens and they are nice but I think they get too hot too quickly and dry out the shisha faster than foil does.

Why not use foil?
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:26 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

For the most part, I use foil. I have used both metal & glass screens: both IMO burn the tobacco WAY TOO FAST for my liking, as well as being a PIA to clean up afterwards. Foil is quick, easy, reliable and cheap.
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

i agree with ya on that one sammn, glass screens are a pain to clean
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook