Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

glass bowls?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
jrhoades
Hookah Newbie

Default glass bowls?

hey yall i was wondering what your thoughts were on a glass bowl, i was just thinking about it and i dont know if it would crack from the heat or not, so i thought id ask if anyones seen one? thanks
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: glass bowls?

There are many glass bowls on the market and vary quite a bit in quality and design.

Most are made out of pyrex so the cracking is not an issue. They are often much more expensive than their clay counterparts as it takes quite a bit more effort and skill to make a glass bowl. If you are interested in them they can be found on various site but MNHookah.com has what are considered to be some of the best glass bowls on the market in their jet glass funnel.

If you use the search function for our wonderful forum you will find a lot more information and reviews of glass bowls. Just search for it.
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
ROG
Hookah Nut

i have a glass bowl i love to smoke out of it when its just me but if there is any one else smoking with me it get way to hot and burns the shisha there more of a novility they get to hot get dirty way to fast
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:29 AM
tic-tac
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
There are many glass bowls on the market and vary quite a bit in quality and design.

Most are made out of pyrex so the cracking is not an issue.
Are you sure of this? Maybe the industrial hookahs are made as you say but I do not think artisans in Turkey, Syria or Egypt use this kind of glass...
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:37 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I got one and its made from phrex and holds 5 grams of shisha, which imo is too little and and is hard to clean, i think a phunnel with a mod is a better choice
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic-tac View Post
Are you sure of this? Maybe the industrial hookahs are made as you say but I do not think artisans in Turkey, Syria or Egypt use this kind of glass...

See... when I said that the quality and functionality vary a lot and that "most" used pyrex as their material I meant exactly that.

The majority of glass bowls you will find on this market are pyrex or borosilicate glass. It's the same thing pyrex is just the common brand name.

Also please find me a glass bowl from those areas. I would love to see them and know what they offer.

Last edited by kalutika; August 28th, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Siken
Hookah Nut

I got this one:
REMOVED

And it's just perfect ^^
The best is that you can smoke with a little amount of shisha tobacco :P

Last edited by photolinger; August 28th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siken View Post
I got this one:
REMOVED

And it's just perfect ^^
The best is that you can smoke with a little amount of shisha tobacco :P
Hey, you might want to remove that link....that site contains things that are not allowed to be mentioned here

Last edited by photolinger; August 28th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Tunisiano
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Tunisiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
Hey, you might want to remove that link....that site contains things that are not allowed to be mentioned here
such as?
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoades View Post
hey yall i was wondering what your thoughts were on a glass bowl, i was just thinking about it and i dont know if it would crack from the heat or not, so i thought id ask if anyones seen one? thanks
heres your intro to basic glass

you have 2 major types of glass you interact with in every day life. borosilica glass (lab ware, pyrex, and most of your cook ware type glass, small glass art and glass pipes) and soda lime glass (windows, bottles, most cups, your hookah bases, hand blown glass).

borosilica glass is silica and boric acid (IIRC) which acts as the flux which breaks the silica down to let it melt at a much lower temp (pure silica melts at like 4-6k*F), soda lime glass is silica and soda ash and lime as the fluxes. the soda lime glass is easier to work by hand yet will not take thermal shock or physical shock as well when finished where as your borosilica glass can withstand a hell of a lot more.

all the glass bowls will be pyrex or borosilica of some kind to withstand the heat and thermal changes and the shocks it will get.

all this being said you can still have a piece of borosilica glass that cracks randomly because glass is not perfect (there are micro cracks all over glass that allow it to crack, if you could have theoretically perfect glass it would be basically impossible to crack). a lot of the issues you will run into though is the craftsperson or artist who made it messed up and didnt anneal (taking it from 900-1000*f to room temp slowly to allow the stress to come out of the glass)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic-tac View Post
bowls not bases. all glass bowls are borosilica glass (pyrex is one formula and a trade name), bases are all going to be a soda lime glass which can handle less thermal shock and is usually a "softer" glass

-matt
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Ive got the mn Hookah mini glass phunnel with a mod and it looks nice, doesn't burn and you can get it with a glass screen so no need to foil, no coal or ash taste and it works.

Ive got a small tangiers phunnel, ive had a vortex and as far as im concerned although its bit expenisve (you make your money back with all the shisha saved) its the best bowl in the world.
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

o one other major point i forgot about glass in general, it sucks at conducting, where as ceramics seem to allow the heat to be a bit more even, you can literally get a 2000* difference with in an inch of each other on glass so it is harder to get even heat on glass blows

-matt
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
yehaw4257
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to yehaw4257 Send a message via Yahoo to yehaw4257

Glass. To me means well drop the GL in glass and put paininthe infront of it
Pain in the @#Ass
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
yehaw4257
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to yehaw4257 Send a message via Yahoo to yehaw4257

Glass. To me means well drop the GL in glass and put paininthe infront of it
Pain in the @#Ass
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
o one other major point i forgot about glass in general, it sucks at conducting, where as ceramics seem to allow the heat to be a bit more even, you can literally get a 2000* difference with in an inch of each other on glass so it is harder to get even heat on glass blows

-matt
I would recommend you try the mn hookah mini glass phunnel. Despite what you have mentioned you will be pleasantly suprised, trust me.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Smoke View Post
I would recommend you try the mn hookah mini glass phunnel. Despite what you have mentioned you will be pleasantly suprised, trust me.
while i know they work well, i just dont think glass can work as well as ceramics, and honestly in stead of paying 50 bucks i could just trade work with a friend to get one lamp worked

-matt
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
while i know they work well, i just dont think glass can work as well as ceramics, and honestly in stead of paying 50 bucks i could just trade work with a friend to get one lamp worked

-matt
The mini isnt that expensive and with the amount of shisha you will save its worth it. Mine takes about 10g of shisha and i can smoke for a good hour and a half. As far as im concerned mine works better than ceramic. Ive even got a glass screen which allows the coal to last longer, no coal taste, no ash taste, no foil but does 2 or 3 mins to get going.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook