Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Desi Murli First Impressions

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

Default Desi Murli First Impressions

Short version: Holy shit.

Long version: So I got a big order of the stuff in from Kamal (thanks, you're the man!) for around $20 and I immediately set up a bowl of DM Coffee following Hajo's instructions. Luckily for me, I had already bought some honey and glycerin for just this purpose. Though it took me forever to find vegetable glycerin. I ended up going to the local organic store, and I'm still washing the smell of hippies and overpriced food out of my clothes.

So anyways, it takes a few minutes to get the stuff smoking (I used foil over a Vortex, I'm not daring enough to try it without foil...yet), and after about five minutes of consistent pulling, I suddenly realize that I not only have no inclination to get up off my couch, I couldn't stand even if I wanted to. The buzz hit me like a freight train and left me watching the Travel Channel for about an hour because I didn't even feel like leaning over to grab the remote.

I generally smoke nothing but Nakhla, but no Nakhla buzz has ever hit me as hard as DM. I ended up getting so relaxed that I just took a nap where I sat.

Oh, the coffee flavor was good, too.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:25 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Desi Murli First Impressions

Don'tcha love how relaxing it is? It's a whole other beast. I used to figure "nicotine is nicotine, tobacco is tobacco" but it really isn't. I still wonder why it's so different, buzz wise.

I'm going to smoke a bowl of DM in your honor. I usually chain pull this stuff (and I probably don't enjoy the flavor as much) so your tolerance will level out.

One day you'll be like the big boys and have no need for that washed stuff! Heheh.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Yeah chaining Desi Murli will make you feel like you took a chair shot to the dome from Mick Foley! LOL
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
sahal
Vendor

lol I really wanna try some of this now. I have tried emailing Kamal but he didnt get back to me.. maybe he doesnt ship to the UK, but does anyone know where else I can get some from?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Ahhhhh the gem they call DM. I love that stuff!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I've been smoking DM pretty regularly ever since hookah1 started to carry it and i've never once even thought about hoovering it. I'd be pretty sure i'd pass out if I did. It is a relaxing and great tasting product however and that is what I care about. When all is said and done it's the best thing on the U.S. market with Salloum being a distant second.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

i'm thinking of ordering some DM now after reading about it.......can you inhale it like regular shisha or do you have to smoke it like cigars (just pull and puff??)??
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
StinkingFish
Hookah Nut

I inhaled it like regular shisha (Can't decide if it was a mistake or not), and like Mr. JimNibbles up there, I felt like I had melted. Very enjoyable, and a VERY complex flavor. Totally totally worth it. It looked wet enough for me to smoke without any treatment, so I did it straight out of the bag. Worked fine for me.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchantofmenac View Post
i'm thinking of ordering some DM now after reading about it.......can you inhale it like regular shisha or do you have to smoke it like cigars (just pull and puff??)??
I would unless you feel like being paralyzed for a few hours depending on your tolerance.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
sahal
Vendor

Im thinking of ordering some from Kamal and because im from the UK i wanna make sure I make a good choice of flavours.

Can you recommend maybe 3/4 good flavours to me?

p.s I like sweet flavours

Last edited by sahal; September 3rd, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

Did you notice that you weren't getting as much of a Buzz from Nakhla after smoking DM? i don't want to smoke DM and then end up not feeling anything from my favorite Nakhla
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Did you notice that you weren't getting as much of a Buzz from Nakhla after smoking DM? i don't want to smoke DM and then end up not feeling anything from my favorite Nakhla
You build up a tolerance. I have never smoked DM but I think I'm going to have to order some now, but I used to get a pretty serious buzz from nakhla but now not until after two bowls do I usually get a good buzz going. (serious run on sentence sorry about that)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rivers View Post
You build up a tolerance. I have never smoked DM but I think I'm going to have to order some now, but I used to get a pretty serious buzz from nakhla but now not until after two bowls do I usually get a good buzz going. (serious run on sentence sorry about that)
its funny...for me its the opposite...i get a buzz from the first bowl...but none from the 2nd , 3rd, etc....i guess its different for everyone....
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Xanhonestpuckx
Brother of the Black Leaf

Send a message via AIM to Xanhonestpuckx Send a message via Yahoo to Xanhonestpuckx

DM is outstanding...once I get a few more flavors, it may just replace Nakhla as my favorite brand.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
its funny...for me its the opposite...i get a buzz from the first bowl...but none from the 2nd , 3rd, etc....i guess its different for everyone....
Yea its the same for be but instead of it being bowl to bowl its more like the first 15 min of the session I'll buzz and then it fades and i can function like a normal human being.
Desi is outstanding, and well worth the minuscule effort to prepare it. It really doesn't take any longer than lighting your coals. I've also been messing around with mixing additional spices with DM to give it some variety(since I only ordered one packet to begin with) and its been wonderful. I did a clove/khus mix. Its a very distinct khus flavor(which seems stronger in contrast to the clove than when I smoke straight khus) and a bit of a clove taste that lingers on the palate. Its nice to have the traditional tobacco taste that DM has, in addition to the clove accents. Dropping another DM order with Kamal for probably 8+ packs

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahal View Post
Im thinking of ordering some from Kamal and because im from the UK i wanna make sure I make a good choice of flavours.

Can you recommend maybe 3/4 good flavours to me?

p.s I like sweet flavours
Nothing from DM is particularly sweet. Rather, DM flavours tend to be very rich and complicated. Khus, Roohafza, plain, all of the paan flavours, Kewra, Spicy Apple, Sweet Apple, Coffee & Pudina are all amazing. The fruit flavour I don't have much experience with but they are not like normal moassels where you go "wow, raspberry" or whatever. Instead, you get the fruit taste but it's just one flavour of many that you get along with rich tobacco and spice notes. This stuff is meant to be smoked slowly so you can notice all the subtle tastes and textures.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

I have heard so much about DM I have been considering purchasing some. The complexity of the flavors is what has really attracted my interest. Some one, I can't remember who, said a while back they would send me a sample but never did.

Maybe I will have to break down now and buy some.

Edit: After searching it looks like Texashookah.com is the only trustworthy vendor that has it. Anyone know of anbody else? Preferably some one who also carries CH coals?

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.

Last edited by paulk; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I buy DM from Kamal at hookah1 as well as Salloum since he all 38 flavours for the former. His prices are great and his service perfect. Drop him a line at kamal@zardaking.com to place an order.

Texas Hookah is is a decent firm from what I have heard and I know several people that have used him with success.

If you want something more then SB sugar out of smoking Desi Merli is a must have and it's the best thing you can buy in the states.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
JimNibbles
Hookah Nut

I've only smoked the Coffee flavor so far, but it was delicious. It tasted like a rich cigar mixed with very dark coffee beans. I still have Khus, Pan, Spicy Apple, Plain, and Kewra at home untested yet. Shoulda gotten clove too...dammit.

If I'm smoking with friends I'll set up Nakhla though because it's a more...forgiving smoke. And unfortunately I don't have much time to myself at home, what with three roommates and all.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Why would you not put foil over Desi? Yuck.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
sahal
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Nothing from DM is particularly sweet. Rather, DM flavours tend to be very rich and complicated. Khus, Roohafza, plain, all of the paan flavours, Kewra, Spicy Apple, Sweet Apple, Coffee & Pudina are all amazing. The fruit flavour I don't have much experience with but they are not like normal moassels where you go "wow, raspberry" or whatever. Instead, you get the fruit taste but it's just one flavour of many that you get along with rich tobacco and spice notes. This stuff is meant to be smoked slowly so you can notice all the subtle tastes and textures.
thanks for the info I think im going to order roohafza, Spicy Apple and Sweet Apple.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNibbles View Post
Shoulda gotten clove too...dammit.
There is no real clove flavor, I just mixed 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves into the tobacco along with the honey and glycerin. And like I said, it doesn't smoke like a straight clove but rather just the tobacco with a clove undertone. Also after the exhale the clove lingers on your palate wonderfully.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I buy DM from Kamal at hookah1 as well as Salloum since he all 38 flavours for the former. His prices are great and his service perfect. Drop him a line at kamal@zardaking.com to place an order.

Texas Hookah is is a decent firm from what I have heard and I know several people that have used him with success.

If you want something more then SB sugar out of smoking Desi Merli is a must have and it's the best thing you can buy in the states.
Thank you Hajo.
I really enjoy Nakhla and its complexity so I am sure DM will be a real treat.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:50 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
ya, same here, i even also have the first 15 mins then no buzz thing as well for the most part

i really need to order some though, ive been planing to but every time i remember to my cash is tight right then. probably will grab some in a few weeks since is so cheap

-matt
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:20 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
ya, same here, i even also have the first 15 mins then no buzz thing as well for the most part

i really need to order some though, ive been planing to but every time i remember to my cash is tight right then. probably will grab some in a few weeks since is so cheap

-matt
It really is the best bargain in the hookah world that we have in the states. Plus you can use your HP discount code (he'll give you one since you have to order directly from Kamal - but its a nice discount and some freebies as well.) You will save a bundle when smoking DM!

You'll get like 3 kilos for about 50 bucks if you order a bunch of DM and get the discount. It really can't be beat.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook