Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

MY KM EXPLODDEEEDDD

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: MY KM EXPLODDEEEDDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz1 View Post
You had ice in the base then you went to your Garage, unless your garage is airconditioned or you live in a cool weather, I now my garage gets hot, very hot so it could the the extreme temp differance and the base is sealed I could be wrong
I don't think that's enough because you take a glass of ice cold tea out into the backyard too.. or into the garage.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Glass is brittle. Concrete is hard. The two don't mesh well.

You can completely shatter an empty Snapple bottle by just tapping it lightly at the right angle on concrete.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

km does not make the glass. two major egyptian companies usually make it. this is why i dont use ice in the vase...
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
It shouldn't have exploded like that just for putting ice in it.

Think about it, you put ice in your glass before pouring a drink in there, and a glass is made of a LOT thinner glass than your base is.

There must have been some manufacturing mistake or some other kind of crack in it or something.
Did you leave it sitting out in the sun before you put the ice in it or something?
Because putting ice in a room temperature base should not be enough of a temperature change to make the glass break....

Anyone else agree with that?
I know that when they form glass they are supposed to place the glass in a kiln or oven and bring down the temperature slowly over several hours. If this isn't done it puts stress on the glass and makes it more susceptible to shattering.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Seanzo
Hookah Nut

Hey that sucks man I just got my first KM today and i love it so far! good luck getting a replacment ill smoke a bowl in sympathy
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:22 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

its the shitty shitty shitty glass that comes out of egypt, honestly if i made a piece of glass like they sell every day i doubt i would even give it away.

ever issue you can come across is furnace glass blowing you see in many of the vases we get. seedy glass (lots of air bubbles), uneven glass, cordy (lines in the glass due to uneven chemical make up of the glass), stress cracks, poorly annealed glass (glass must be cooled from 1000*f to room temp over 12 hours to relieve stress)

what happens is with the crappy glass that comes out of egypt is that all of the above issues makes weak spots which with very little stress (thermal, of striking) will cause it to break (ive seen pieces that got tapped with another piece of glass and huge cracks ran through it, and it was probably just pulled out of the annealer to hot)

now good glass should be able to take a good amount of thermal and physical shock but with the egyptian crap you have to be overly careful with it.

-matt
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
manntis
Hookah Newbie

I buy vases from Mya. Never had a problem that wasn't my fault *lol* Plus the leafing is gorgeous. A few of my female friends admire the aesthetics of the Myas I have and I find I don't have to explain what the hookas are *not* - which I find myself doing when I pull out my Kuwaiti (far more traditional looking) hookas. Go figure.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntis View Post
which I find myself doing when I pull out my Kuwaiti (far more traditional looking) hookas. Go figure.
I would like to see photos of them... Love traditional hookahs.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
I don't think that's enough because you take a glass of ice cold tea out into the backyard too.. or into the garage.
your also dealing with 2 totally different glasses, its literally like saying well metal will hold X weight, yet aluminum and steel are 2 totally different materials. slight changes in the chemical make up of the glass can change it dramatically just like alloying element is metals

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntis View Post
I buy vases from Mya. Never had a problem that wasn't my fault *lol* Plus the leafing is gorgeous. A few of my female friends admire the aesthetics of the Myas I have and I find I don't have to explain what the hookas are *not* - which I find myself doing when I pull out my Kuwaiti (far more traditional looking) hookas. Go figure.
myas are machine made glass (IIRC) and as such are consistent and the glass used seems to be of a much higher quality and consistency

i am starting to feel that i might never buy another vase and just blow my own from now on... just need to let this damn glass in our furnace get straightened out since its kinda nasty right now

-matt
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
manntis
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
I would like to see photos of them... Love traditional hookahs.
here's one I got in a sook in Benaid Al Gahr. Note the wooden mouthpiece. Not my favorite. I also prefer Lebanese style bowls over this Egyptian style.

Old September 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Glasses are not made by Khalil mamoon. Khalil mamoon only makes stems.
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i am currently working on sourcing OTE glass to put km stems onto. (OTE=other than egytpian) i hope for everyone's sake it will be successful.
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
i am currently working on sourcing OTE glass to put km stems onto. (OTE=other than egytpian) i hope for everyone's sake it will be successful.
good luck with that john, i just am going to be very surprised if we get a lot better quality with out paying a lot more, granted i would probably do it but just putting it out there

-matt
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Sweet! I will be looking forward to this, especially if you get your hands on a size 30 Bohemian vase without a bunch of flowers and funky colors on it.

It's getting harder to supress my OCD flares whenever I spot a Leaning Tower of KM.
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Ghostc4
Hookah Newbie

Sounds like to many bubbles.... <.<
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook