Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Traditional practices...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: Traditional practices...

hmm, after reading this i wanted to state that in syria there are still cafe's were groups of mixed genders still hang out... i feel i wrote that wrong...

and do you guys have mint tea w/ cardamom too or just the pine nuts?

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
d3t0x
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
That looks exactly like the sort of rigs they have around Goa and i've seen the same sort of thing in Yeman although I don't know what they are called. They have bowls for either tombac or jurak.
Which region of Yemen did you visit and what did you think of it?
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Tunisiano
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Tunisiano

not sure about cardamom tbh, i never really noticed it but i reckon if you asked it would be available.. Pine nuts is the preferred option but it can also be served with almonds and green almonds which i like too http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._pine_nuts.jpg
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3t0x View Post
Which region of Yemen did you visit and what did you think of it?
I've been in many parts of Yemen although my favorite places are the isles in the Red Sea although Al Hudaydah & Hajjah were good to me. Basically what I saw was a conservative and pleasant land that was friendly and hospitable although the poverty and graft was fairly depressing and the later makes doing business rather difficult. The tobacco seems to be mainly tombac and jurak although I do know that locally made moassel exists I haven't tried very much of it. Do to the military situation going down hill I haven't been there lately and if I went again i'd likely have to put up with security men making sure I can't do anything interesting.
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Hajo, I'll be returning to Saudi Arabia within a year, and I'll be more than glad to show you around if you ever decided to visit.
Thank for the offer. My time the KSA has been limited and while I have seen some good stuff I enough to know that I missed out on much more. I don't know when i'll be out that way again but when I find out i'll drop you a line.
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunisiano View Post
The Maghrebine (north African) countries are pretty similar in ways but different in others. Tunisia is a liberal country and I would say, along with Lebanon, is one of the more liberal countries in the Arab world. So it's not unusual to find a lot of cafes where men and women mix, although I haven't been to that many small villages in Tunisia but in the larger cities (Hammamet, Soussa, Tunis, Sfax, Djerba) it's not uncommon. But you still have of course the "men only" cafes, where you see them playing cards as well as backgammon, and chess. Tombac is still smoked by the older generation but the younger people are more into their flavoured molasses. Mint tea with pine nuts or coffee is usually taken with it. But you do get cafes where you have the options of milkshakes, sodas, non-alcoholic cocktails, etc. And there are of course a few restaurants where you can go out to order a meal and then enjoy a shisha (I don't think I've ever seen anyone order one before eating).
If anyone here does go to Tunis I would recommend the Cafe des Delices in Sidi Bou Said - http://www.npo.fr/tunisie_2009/photo...i_Bou_Said.jpg

There are no funny customs like passing the hose a certain way or anything like that, nothing I've come across anyways

I'm guessing Morocco is pretty similar to Tunisia as to the above, and from what I hear from my friends Algeria and Lybia is more segregated.
I think you are right about Tunisia being much more liberal then most Arabic countries although I have never been to Algeria or Libya so I can't say much about those places. Tunisia is sort of interesting in that it's the only Arab country I've been to that has a definitely European cultural influence that hasn't decided to throw it's own culture out the window and become just another crassly materialistic based society. Sfax & Djerba are great towns and the later is a place that i've done some work in that went well.

Sfax has a cafe that I liked a lot that because you can see live traditional Arab music and they never play that annoying pop crap that seems to be everywhere these days. They also served great food and really rich and creamy vanilla moassel with a strong molasses taste that I assume was locally made.

Overall i'd say that while Syria is my favorite place to go outside of Europa Tunisia is uniquely appealing and totally different then any place else i've been to.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook