Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Local Newspaper Story

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

Default Local Newspaper Story

So the local newspaper in Kansas City did an article on the hookah lounges in the area. While it doesn't directly take sides, it makes us, the hookah culture, look like some brain dead idiots. All I have to say is read the comments that the idiots in the city I live in made. Calling a hookah a gateway drug to more idiotic practices.

http://www.kansascity.com/746/story/1406157.html
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Default Re: Local Newspaper Story

omg so retarded.. its funny how they explain the girl letting out the smoke...

"Katie Lynch sucked in smoke from a long, narrow mouthpiece with pursed lips as if sipping from a straw.
Her mother, Kathy Lynch, sat to her right with brow furrowed and arms crossed, watching as Katie cocked her head back, narrowed her eyes and gently puffed a cloud into the air."
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
manntis
Hookah Newbie

the comments are even worse - OMG, it's from the middle east! Buncha xenophobes.
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

Being from KC myself, I've come to realize that the writers of the Star are a bunch of jackasses. Rarely do they publish anything quality and now they are bashing one of my favorite hobbies. I could sit here and complain for hours about their dumb article, but what are you gonna do? People are always gonna have their own one-sided, ill-informed mindset.
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Hookahs! What a sad little trend. If the people who inhabited these neo-opium dens knew how silly and desperate to fit in they looked. Besides, Smoking is DEAD! If you are under, say, 55 and still smoke, you are just a fool (The older folks are just too delusional and set in their destructive ways to quit). You pollute the environment and everyone around you, and worse, you don't seem to care! It's a free country and all, but again, ANYONE into this Hookah trend will probably be snorting snuff next week or whatever other stupid, archaic practice is resurrected. Why write a story on this??

omg effing idiot
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

Yeah i read the story and was like god the media is retarded. Then I got to the comments and just thought are people seriously that stupid to believe that a hookah is used for illegal substances, especially at a founded business that is heavily watched by the local gov't?
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Newspaper
Lies, bullshit, idiocy. People are stupid, especially us.
The part in bold I already knew!
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

It makes some good point like the drinking age, and other things but for citation theirs no supporting evidence that this writer can use to really bash it. People from Egypt and other countries have been smoking for decades maybe longer. So that is were a real study should be done. Using college for a excuse that is on a rise is unrelenting to article. And like i said theirs no true evidence to this article I read about people who were from here and their but no real names just doctors. This is a joke of a article, Good point about the age but thats about it. Even if the drinking age would lower people would still hookah. With Obama Administration on the rise, that is were the real problem is. We have to stand united as a community so that if something does go wrong that we stand up for our rights as a free country. That as our rights we can still enjoy a tradition that has been going on for hundreds of years.
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

read the comments at the bottom...they are ridiculous
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:47 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Things like this irritate me, people that smoke pipes or cigars don't have articles written about them, its just that hookah appeals to a younger crowd (I know plenty of people my age that smoke cigars or pipes) that causes a fuss with the ignorant, like I've many times before, "Smoking isn't healthy, yes I know that. I'm an adult and I've made my decision to smoke, so leave leave me and my nargile the hell alone." There is much more in this world for the Obamination to worry about than forcing me to quit.

Last edited by hookahman1988; September 9th, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:33 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntis View Post
the comments are even worse - OMG, it's from the middle east! Buncha xenophobes.
I only smoke because our president is a Muslim, you know

On a more serious note, I like the point made in the comments about it being better than the kids going out and getting drunk at parties. How many people a year die as the result of someone driving home after a nice, relaxing session at a hookah lounge as opposed to those leaving bars? Me, personally, I'd rather sit around with a bunch of people smoking shisha than a rowdy crowd of puking, staggering drunks.

Another thing that irks me is the bias against hookah and cigarette smokers, while cigar smoking is still viewed as trendy. There was an entire article in our local "fine living" magazine about what our local cosmetic surgeons, real estate brokers and investment bankers are doing after a long, hard day - they're having wine and cigar tasting parties. Nothing in the article pointed to this being an "epidemic" or "an alarming trend". It was all about how suave it is to have cigar parties. I guess it's all in how the media spins it.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:43 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
I only smoke because our president is a Muslim, you know

On a more serious note, I like the point made in the comments about it being better than the kids going out and getting drunk at parties. How many people a year die as the result of someone driving home after a nice, relaxing session at a hookah lounge as opposed to those leaving bars? Me, personally, I'd rather sit around with a bunch of people smoking shisha than a rowdy crowd of puking, staggering drunks.

Another thing that irks me is the bias against hookah and cigarette smokers, while cigar smoking is still viewed as trendy. There was an entire article in our local "fine living" magazine about what our local cosmetic surgeons, real estate brokers and investment bankers are doing after a long, hard day - they're having wine and cigar tasting parties. Nothing in the article pointed to this being an "epidemic" or "an alarming trend". It was all about how suave it is to have cigar parties. I guess it's all in how the media spins it.
Its because cigars are generally considered a hobby of older people (typically men). (Like I said before plenty of my friends (who are in their 20's) enjoy a good cigar and a fine glass of scotch or bourbon. Its because hookah as seen as a trend with the young adults that ignorant morons feel the need to step in and protect us.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

The comments made me want to put my head through a wall, how can people even think like this? It might be a Kansas thing where things aren't as open...but i'm just assuming and this is coming from a new yorker.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by speel View Post
The comments made me want to put my head through a wall, how can people even think like this? It might be a Kansas thing where things aren't as open...but i'm just assuming and this is coming from a new yorker.
Hah, maybe a western Kansas thing, but not KCK or KCMO. I go to school in Arkansas and I would expect to see an article like that here, but not back home. The ignorance of the media never ceases to amaze me.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by speel View Post
It's actually Missouri which is quite a bit more liberal than Kansas. It's still the bible belt though, so yeah, people can be bible thumping conservatives. But as all large cities is more on the liberal side. Theres actually been quite a large surge of stores carrying hookah related products. It's just idiots that don't understand what it's all about.
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Man if that's how Kansas City reacts, I cannot WAIT till the local Lexington, Kentucky newspaper writes something about this.

I'll deffly post that one on here!
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

Folks should realize by now; If it's fun to do or makes you happy:
1) It's cancerous
2) Attracts children with candy like flavors
3) You're painted as dumb / misinformed / unable to make intelligent decisions for yourself
4) Some group of people will ultimately know what's better for you and secretly don't like seeing you having a good time
5) It's ALWAYS an "epidemic"
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook