Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How to Bring the Husband Over to the Dark Side?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 11th, 2009, 03:54 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Default How to Bring the Husband Over to the Dark Side?

When I initially became interested in hookahs I had it in my head that it would be something my husband and I enjoy together. We both smoke cigarettes, but I'm getting tired of the high prices for a carton, chain smoking in the car, and over all feeling like crap. I was kind of hoping the hookah would help ween us off the sticks.

Well, the first night I had my little cheap hookah set up on the deck I was enjoying my new found interest with some Al Waha Arabic Coffee and I asked my husband if he would like to try it. He grabbed the hose and I cautioned him to take it easy. Did he listen? Nope. He took for granted being a "seasoned" cigarette smoker and took this monster drag and then deeply inhaled it. He got all choked up and within minutes grew light-headed and nauseated. He declared, "eh, not for me" and went back in the house to recover. He was fine after a few minutes, but the whole debacle really turned him off to the experience.

So now I just feel kind of lonely smoking all by myself. We both have our separate interests and hobbies, so I was hoping this would be the one thing we could enjoy together as a couple; however, that first bad experience seems to have really put him off altogether.

I am expecting an order to arrive soon from Hookah John. It's a super sweet Magdy Zidan 36" (the Oracle, I believe?) with a Razan hose. I also ordered some shisha. I'm hoping maybe a better rig and some good shisha would persuade him to give it another go.

I definitely won't nag or pressure him, but I'd kind of like for him to try again once I get my new set-up to see if it doesn't yield a better experience for him. Has anyone else ever experienced something similar - a friend or parnter trying the hookah once and having a bad time at it and simply chalking it up as something they'd never try again? Am I destined to be a lonely shisha smoker?
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: How to Bring the Husband Over to the Dark Side?

If you know what fruit he likes get some shisha tobacco that's flavored like the fruit. Feel free to ask us who makes the best flavor for whatever fruit he likes. Try to make it an event, like after a nice dinner, set it up on the porch and invite him out to try it. Sometimes hookah is all about atmosphere.
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Gadfly
Hookah Pro

My girlfriend is the same way her logic is why go through all the trouble to set up a hookah when you could just light up a cig.... my logic is oh well more shisha for me and it's her loss.
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:38 AM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

I hate how there is even a comparison between cigarettes & shisha actually.

But as Dunkel said, the atmosphere is key. I am sure if you get something amazing smelling / fruity he would be way more tempted to try it.
Possibly more of a lighter flavor or if he smokes menthols mix some AF mint in with what you are smoking.

& If you smoke Al-Waha, I would recommend After 9 or California Dreamin for a nice after dinner smoke.
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

If he has interest in quiting the cigs then he may embrace hookah a bit more. you can just try again with him, he'll come around.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Gadfly
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
If he has interest in quiting the cigs then he may embrace hookah a bit more. you can just try again with him, he'll come around.
I'm 3 weeks off of cigs being able to finally smoke my hookah in the house and making use of snus while I'm working after 6 years of smoking over a pack a day I used the hookah to quit. It works!!!!
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:48 AM
cuellar
Hookah Nut

Threaten to leave him

just kidding, just make the set up so sweet that he cant say no
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
XMiwakoX
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to XMiwakoX Send a message via Yahoo to XMiwakoX

I had trouble wih my boyfriend in the beginning too, he thought it was too much trouble to go through to smoke. (he smokes cigars) But I asked him to try SB Blue mist, which is not my fav ever, but it's a popular fav so i thought he might like it too. He liked it so much now, I have to keep that flavor handy for him. I was lucky though because he usually doesn't like super sweet flavors at all. So just like a few ppl said on here, have him try something he might like. AF Capuccino is one of my favs ever. I get tired of sweetness quickly. Just like Dunkel and MichaelMassacre said, atmosphere is key. Im not trying to just repeat everything everyone else said lol, I just know exactly what your talking about.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

These are all fantastic answers! I knew you guys would be helpful. I was ordering some shisha last night and he expressed interest in the HF Atomic Fireball, since he loves the candy. He said he'd try some of that, but that he wasn't fond of the coffee flavor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook