Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

I am getting a Syrian .. & I need your opinions

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 14th, 2009, 05:26 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006
Default Re: I am getting a Syrian .. & I need your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
I think the medium is a perfect height. I almost wanna get rid of my tall...
+1 i would actually do a swap with someone if anyone is interested in the UK
Old September 14th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
What is wrong with the tall one?
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
What is wrong with the tall one?
Its too tall for me lool, when i sit down the phunnel is just under eye level mayb same level , and the base is really small and feels like its gona tip over
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I see !!
So, the normal question which hookah do u prefer KM or AF?
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
I see !!
Man thats a really hard question, but if i could only keep one, my AF or my KM, it would be my KM not considering size or anything
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Man thats a really hard question, but if i could only keep one, my AF or my KM, it would be my KM not considering size or anything
Hmm .. this answer will get you in trouble j/k
good luck with your new hookah man !! I am joining the Syrian group soon !!
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:42 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Hmm .. this answer will get you in trouble j/k
good luck with your new hookah man !! I am joining the Syrian group soon !!
Good choice it is still a very nice hookah
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Aw piss, it's too bad you're in the UK or I would totally swap.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
honestly wet it as much as you want, just make sure to towel dry the stem when you're done each time so its cleaner longer....as for water leaking i dont think everyone has that issue
It's hard to notice if you do get water trapped in there. I never knew it was happening after weeks of cleaning it until I took the heart apart and saw the insides. Ever since then I've been checking it and I'm pretty sure it still happens occasionally even though I'm careful when cleaning it now.

The only way to really fix it is to seal the stem pieces together and the bottom lip of the heart where the two pieces that form it meet, but that won't end up looking very good. I'm still contemplating whether or not it's worth the effort to solder them as I'm already going to redo some of the nickel plating anyhow. Just don't keep the stem under running water for long or let it soak and it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Quote:
Its too tall for me lool, when i sit down the phunnel is just under eye level mayb same level , and the base is really small and feels like its gona tip over
The base on the medium is a size 26 vase so if you feel the size 30 on the large is unstable, you'll probably feel the same way with the medium. The bottom of the medium vase is more rounded and has a flat portion that's ~1" smaller in diameter than the large. IMO the medium feels much better on a size 30 vase but the proportions don't look as good.

Quote:
I see !!
If you want the widest draw, get a KM. The AF does not have internal bores as large as a KM. The AF's draw is in between a Mya and a KM. Whether or not that makes it smoke better is up to you. The purge is slow but it does work.

Quality is a toss up because it can vary with both. Construction wise, I wasn't very happy when I saw the AF has crimped tubing for internals instead of proper bends but you'll probably be oblivious to the flow restrictions it causes unless you have problems. Mine came with holes at one of the crimps on the purge tube, which is the biggest reason why I chose to take it apart and build new internals. It's also why I recommend checking for leaks when you first get it. Be sure to check the stem tube also, especially if you get a large as some of them aren't one long piece but are two soldered together. I know I've already talked to someone who has a leak at that joint, which sucks because it's the hardest part to get at to fix.

If your AF comes with no leaks and you're ok with it not having the widest draw then you'll be happy to know you're getting a solid hookah that just so happens to be one of the best looking ones on the market (IMO).

Last edited by foibled; September 14th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

This is what I have, very solid rig, no problems.
http://www.thehookah.com/nour-syrian...h-28-inch.html
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Im just going to comment on the bore sizes right now but that isnt the way to tell each time, ive been corrected on this myself and seen the differences.

Plus one thing to note is the hose inlet is actually larger on an AF than my humongoid KM inlet, so if the case was true, then the AF should have a better draw no matter because of that one part where the KM bottlenecks.

As for the downstem, you guys have to remember, just because it flanges out does not mean its that thick all the way through...

And the AF has a wide open draw, I chose to set my rig up w/ some restriction because im not into it having that big of a draw.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
This is what I have, very solid rig, no problems.
http://www.thehookah.com/nour-syrian...h-28-inch.html
and she's a beaut, but because it doesnt say KM on it, it must clearly suck

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
Im just going to comment on the bore sizes right now but that isnt the way to tell each time, ive been corrected on this myself and seen the differences.

Plus one thing to note is the hose inlet is actually larger on an AF than my humongoid KM inlet, so if the case was true, then the AF should have a better draw no matter because of that one part where the KM bottlenecks.

As for the downstem, you guys have to remember, just because it flanges out does not mean its that thick all the way through...

And the AF has a wide open draw, I chose to set my rig up w/ some restriction because im not into it having that big of a draw.
I can't show you pics of the AFs hose port restriction because mine is bored out now but it restricts to just under ~1/4" internally where it bends. It is actually two pieces, the thick walled hose port (where the hose goes) and a tube that is soldered to the end of that, which is the large inlet I think you are referring to.

Here are some pics comparing the AFs internals to my KM.

Starting from the left is AF purge tube and old valve (I built a new one), KM purge tube and valve, AF hose tube (bottom part only, the shiny part is where I cut it from the hose port that I bored out), KM hose port (all one piece).

Here are pics of the leak that came on my purge tube.

Here is a pic of my now bored out hose port (a little over 3/8" at it's thinnest point)

edit: If you flash a light down the hose port like I did in this pic you would be able to see where the restriction starts in the hose port. It's a PITA to bore out because the restriction is throughout the bend to where it is soldered to the hose tube. That's why I cut the tube from the bottom of the hose port so I can get a better angle at smoothing out the inside. It was also to replace the crimped tube, although the neck on the heart limited the size tube I could use.

The flange on the bottom piece of my KM is a separate piece that is soldered on there. It's like that on all other KMs I've seen and also on the AF (the donut piece). The stem tube is a constant ID for the entire length. It is also like this on the AF.

The draw on my AF when I first got it was more comparable to my Mya Bohemian, a little better from what I remember. I should point out that I built a stainless steel stem tube for my Mya which has a ID ~1/32" smaller than the AF's, but the joints and o-rings are what make it more restrictive. The draw after I've rebuilt the internals using larger tubes and bored out the hose port is comparable to KMs, although my World Trophy is still wider.

I should also note that I have not seen the internals for many other KMs so I cannot say for sure it is the same for all other KMs. I'm assuming others with more experience than I are correct in saying KMs are all the same gauge.

Last edited by foibled; September 14th, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i have an AF large. the pull is super restrictive (i knew what foib talked about was going on, i just dont have welding abilities to take it apart and make it better). dont really like it.

the old af large was a complete downer...was even worse.
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
i have an AF large. the pull is super restrictive (i knew what foib talked about was going on, i just dont have welding abilities to take it apart and make it better). dont really like it.

the old af large was a complete downer...was even worse.
That's weird because my AF medium has a pull that's almost easier than breathing.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook