Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Oh, She's so Sexay!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Default Oh, She's so Sexay!

My new pretty came today! Behold, my 36" Magdy Zidan (I think it's the Oracle):

Notice how just below the tray it gives off a heavenly aura? I ordered this on Labor Day from Hookah John and I must say, I had no idea just how huge and sturdy that base was until it was in my hands. The only thing missing from the photo is my red Razan hose because it's drying.

So, I cleaned her up and got everything ready so I could have a nice, relaxing smoke tonight whilst watching "Coraline" and I noticed just how big of a noob I am at this. For starters, I really need to get my heat management down pat. I was only using two coals and yet I somehow managed to still burn the shisha. I think the bowl was too full. So, I fixed that.

But something caught my attention as I was smoking - smoke was coming from between the base and the gasket. I also noticed I was having a difficult time drawing from the hose and was producing very little smoke. Upon closer inspection I think I know what the culprit may be:

There is a gap. Now, I have only previously smoked from a crappy little 12" Chinese pumpkin. I have no idea if that gap is part of the MZ design or what the deal is. I tried my darndest to push it further up to lay flush to no avail. I feel like an epic failure here. Any ideas?
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:22 AM
DanyalAkkaya
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Oh, She's so Sexay!

You got to lube it up, water usually does the trick. Alot of people have this problem, I just got a new KM today I decided to use a silicone grommet and it seals up perfectly, I get such a tight seal it looks like a screw on stem.
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

That makes sense. I may try that in conjunction with putting a little elbow grease into it to try and get the rubber grommet to fit correctly. If push comes to shove I'll order a silicone grommet for it. I feel like such a noob, because I did a search on here for "base grommet leak" and couldn't find anything, but when I did a Google search for MZ base grommet the first result was a review thread here for the MZ Horas. Apparently the rubber grommet issue is a common one, but most people find it is still airtight, despite the gap being there. I'm going to wet it before smoking next time and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:51 AM
brando147
Hookah Nut

it is normal for that gap to be there, there's usually a gap of about 1/4 of an inch on mine (i have the same hookah as you, only it's white), it's just an issue of getting the stem in the base as far as you can. i usually get my grommet wet with just some tap water while it's on the stem, then push down and wiggle the stem until i can't get it in the base any further
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Quote:
So, I cleaned her up and got everything ready so I could have a nice, relaxing smoke tonight whilst watching "Coraline" and I noticed just how big of a noob I am at this. For starters, I really need to get my heat management down pat. I was only using two coals and yet I somehow managed to still burn the shisha. I think the bowl was too full. So, I fixed that.

But something caught my attention as I was smoking - smoke was coming from between the base and the gasket. I also noticed I was having a difficult time drawing from the hose and was producing very little smoke. Upon closer inspection I think I know what the culprit may be:
Nobody is a noob it is like driving a car with a new car one makes some mistakes like which side the Indicators are located ect.

1. Fluff the tobacco in the bowl keep to below the rim if you are more used to your old Chinese use that bowl for you know how that works.
2. check that the purge valve is not stuck open make sure the bb is loose and can move freely.
3. Lube the grommets (water or vegetable oil)
4. Make sure that the water level in the base is above stem base (about 1")
5. Foil must be tight on the Bowl I use a pattern of 7 to 9 holes with a toothpick 1 in center rest around the rim make sure to push the toothpick to the bottom of the bowl (creates channels through the tobacco for the heat)
6. Coals must be fully lit and ashed over.
7. Blow through hose before use to make sure that it is not blocked by anything
8. Place coals on Bowl wait a few minutes before starting to smoke (give tobacco time to warm up)
9. Smoke as normal and enjoy
10. watch heat and purge if smoke is harsh

Just a few pointers hope it helps
Share with your friends on facebook