Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

******* Hookah QL Issues?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
contristo
Hookah Newbie

Exclamation ******* Hookah QL Issues? **UPDATED PICTURES**

**UPDATED PICS ON THE 15TH POST IN THIS THREAD**

I purchased these quick lights after hearing great reviews. Considering the high quantity I purchased, it would be helpful knowing the best technique for these things.

The main issue I am having is duration. It's very odd... I place 2-3 coals on and the flavor and smoke is GREAT for 5-10 minutes. Then, however, it begins to go completely downhill; the smoke becomes thin and harsh and everyone in the room is scratching their heads at how it deteriorated so quickly. I then proceed to do everything from ashing the coals and/or flipping them over, but to no avail it remains the same. Brand is always either Tangiers Lucid, Al Fakher, and Nakhla, holes are poked three rings using a small toothpick that I poke to the bottom to create air flow. With all other quality quick lights, these same technique works wonders.

The reason I know it is the coals to blame because Golden Quicklights offer me the same or better quality for 5x as long. Considering everyone here loves ******* QL's, I MUST be doing something wrong.

Using the same packing technique and hole pattern, Golden QL's offer me 40-60 minutes of the flavor ******* QL's gave me in 5-10. I KNOW that I must be doing something wrong due to this product's glowing reviews, so I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what the issue is.

If you need any more details, just ask. I would love to have these coals last more than 10 minutes. It's very odd -- they are burning, hot, and hardly ashed, but they produce very minimal smoke after 10 min. and consequently very little flavor. And yes, I wait for them to become completely red before putting them on the foil. I'm very confused

Last edited by contristo; September 15th, 2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added pictures, wanted to edit the title appropriately
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: ******* Hookah QL Issues?

Do the coals themselves go out?
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Hmm. I would make a video of one of your sessions. Im sure if you did some how get faulty coals john would help you out.
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

I have never had issues with mine, I know that they seem to not to last as long as regular coals you leave on a burner...

It almost sounds like a heat issue. Are you making sure the WHOLE coal has sparked up before you throw them in? Have you tried setting the coals on top of each other while you purge/knock off the ash from the bowl. Maybe try blowing on the coals when you are starting them up to make sure they are hot and ready to go (thats what she said).
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

Maybe too much moisture for the coals?
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
Hmm. I would make a video of one of your sessions. Im sure if you did some how get faulty coals john would help you out.
Yeah, if the coals keep going out, it is not your fault at all, and if you bought such a large quantity you should be able to try one from each and if they suck, you should be able to get different ones. The CH QL's I have burn all the way through without even being touched, or being on the bowl - know because I accidentally lit them on the stove, I though they were natural.

You also sound like you know what you are doing, so I'm not gonna say anything involving "are the coals all the way lit" and stuff like that.
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

use a windcover
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM
contristo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
You also sound like you know what you are doing, so I'm not gonna say anything involving "are the coals all the way lit" and stuff like that.
that's the thing... I'm pretty experienced and have been preparing hookahs for friends and such for 2+ years, they always love it. but everyone has remarked that these new coals don't last for longer than 10 minutes before becoming practically non-existent in flavor and smoke. they're all clamoring for me to order Golden ql's again, which I have. but I still want to resolve this issue...

it's been pretty disappointing that I can't get them to keep going well after 5-10 minutes; everyone who has smoked with me has noticed it too.

I don't know about video (no web cam), but I'll take some pictures of my session tonight and post them shortly so I can clarify more.

how many coals do you guys usually use for Nakhla, Al Fakher, and Tangiers Lucid? 2-3 starts out perfectly before turning into thin smoke, and attempting to put another coal on makes it remain thin but just harsher. taking one off practically makes the smoke non-existent.

I'm also smoking indoors, so it's odd since it means there are no temperature or wind issues at play.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM
boxerbabe84
Hookah Nut

Did you order the coals recently from Hookah John? He did say at one time to put the coals in a zip lock bag or such so the humidity does not get to them. I always put them in a gallon ziplock when I order the QL.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Where did you buy these coals from?
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:39 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

I haven't tried the CH ql yet but I'll vouch for the goldens I think there great.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I think I remember a while back John said that there's the occasional batch that will do that and that it's just something that occurs with a lot of coals? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Never had a problem here, they're my favorite coals.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
contristo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Where did you buy these coals from?

did i get TWO defective boxes? i don't know the chance of that... seems rare. anyways, i'll go pack a bowl and take some pics
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

the only things i could think of would eb the coals not being fully lit, and maybe you arent ashing quite enough. CH QLs have a way of being difficult to ash, and it does make things a little cooler (less smoke/flavor).

But like Zen said, you sould like you know what you are doing....
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

maby try tacking coals out from the bottom of the box.
if this dont help contact john he will help you

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM
contristo
Hookah Newbie

so I took pictures of the session, you can see the coals are obviously fully lit. anything wrong with my packing? always seems to work with Golden ql's.

this session produced great smoke for 4 minutes before deteriorating completely into thin smoke and little flavor. very odd because the thin smoke is not harsh, it's just LACKING. when I added another coal on, it just became thin AND harsh though.

Old September 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

did you make sure the hose hadnt come loose? maybe the grommet had slid a little and was letting some air in while you were taking a pull. make sure your grommets are all tight if it happens again. CH QL's put out more heat than the Goldens, could be the extra heat is helping to loosen the bowl grommet. Doesnt hurt to check.
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

Make sure the release valve ball bearing is clean?
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
MichaelMassacre
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMassacre

It's too much moisture. I guarantee it. I left my CH QL outside when it was raining. It didn't get wet, but the humidity dampered with the quality.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
contristo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMassacre View Post
It's too much moisture. I guarantee it. I left my CH QL outside when it was raining. It didn't get wet, but the humidity dampered with the quality.
the coals have acted the same way since I opened them. I recall trying them out the second I opened up the box, resulting in the same issue. so basically, they only lasted for 5 minutes before I even had a chance to dampen their conditions or effect anything at all.

so this has to be on the producer's part... great, I have no coals and just put $30 down the drain. buyer's beware I guess, as a college student I can ill afford to spend money on products that were sent to me and not functioning properly. I see tons of praise for this product so I was really excited and my order happens to be not one, but TWO BAD BATCHES. ridiculous.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by contristo View Post
the coals have acted the same way since I opened them. I recall trying them out the second I opened up the box, resulting in the same issue. so basically, they only lasted for 5 minutes before I even had a chance to dampen their conditions or effect anything at all.

so this has to be on the producer's part... great, I have no coals and just put $30 down the drain. buyer's beware I guess, as a college student I can ill afford to spend money on products that were sent to me and not functioning properly. I see tons of praise for this product so I was really excited and my order happens to be not one, but TWO BAD BATCHES. ridiculous.
In the above photo how long had the coals been on the bowl?
CH QL are a great coal.

As for bad batches I haven't seen one yet. Not saying they don't exist. One bad batch is EXTREMELY rare for CH, 2 Bad Batches..... Well IMO its highly improbable.

Why not email John or even PM him here on the forum to see what he can do. You will probably have to furnish him your order number but I am sure he will take care of it, that is if.....

Just my$0.02.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Coals automatically absorb and release humidity. With the QL coals, the ignition powder can work well, but end up being incapable of keeping the coals lit because of how moist they are. For some reason, this does not happen to Natural coals, and I would think it is because of the ignition powder.

Also, if QL coals aren't kept relatively sealed up, the ignition powder will fail or the coal will not burn all the way through; they basically get old. (this is the reason I will never buy an QL coal again. They go dead).

I think that your coals may have just been sitting too long.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by contristo View Post

Have you even attempted to contact the vendor to notify them of the problems with both boxes of coals? Most likely replacements would be sent to you if they are not working properly for both boxes.
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
Have you even attempted to contact the vendor to notify them of the problems with both boxes of coals? Most likely replacements would be sent to you if they are not working properly for both boxes.
Yeah, I mean, c'mon, it's John!
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
contristo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
In the above photo how long had the coals been on the bowl?
CH QL are a great coal.

As for bad batches I haven't seen one yet. Not saying they don't exist. One bad batch is EXTREMELY rare for CH, 2 Bad Batches..... Well IMO its highly improbable.

Why not email John or even PM him here on the forum to see what he can do. You will probably have to furnish him your order number but I am sure he will take care of it, that is if.....

Just my$0.02.
yeah, I'll ask him about it. John has always been reliable and professional, he runs his business with fantastic ethics. I'm sure this was overlooked... maybe it was Fedex fooling with something.

thing is, I have kept them in an enclosed ziplock. the fact that they have acted faulty since I opened each box suggests they may have been sitting too long before I even received them. these coals are kept in an apartment with the same humidity and temperature every day

oh, and the picture taken above is after 5-8 minutes, where it's still hitting nicely but beginning to weaken. a few minutes later I was getting practically no smoke.

Last edited by contristo; September 15th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook