Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

preparing tombac with a lack of glycerine

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM
brando147
Hookah Nut

Default preparing tombac with a lack of glycerine

ok, so, i plan on preparing a couple bowls worth of the tombac that i just recieved from racemyghost, and i have an issue... i have honey, but no molasses or vegetable glycerine. will vegetable oil be close enough, or is there some other typical household item that should be readily available that will be a suitable replacement?
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: preparing tombac with a lack of glycerine

this tombac stuff is crazyyyyyyyy
be very careful when smoking this if you smoke it without coal i would say try something washed without coal first SB,JM,AF then move on to nakhla without foil and then this stuff this stuff will kill you i have had it before, however i loved the taste and clouds they were amazing
gd luck

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

im not sure but i think u arent supposed to use any of that shit.. isnt it supposed to be just like soaking it and letting dry and someshit lolo.. iono bro...

How to set it up.

1) Cut of a chunk about about the diameter of your bowl and twice as high as the depth.

2) soak it in water until it's supple. Typically you'll be looking at 10-15 minutes. Squeeze out as much water as possible out of the leaf.

3) Strip out the stems ( they have tons of nicotine and lend a harsh taste) and throw them out.

4) Tear up about 2/3 the leaf into small pieces and pile it into the bowl saving the bigger bits for the top.

5) When packing the bowl keep it tightly packed.

6) Place a few hot coals on the leaf and once it starts smoldering after a couple of minutes draw on the hose.

7) Move the coals as the leaf burns and brush away the ash.

i forgot to say i copied these instructions from Hajo Flettner
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
brando147
Hookah Nut

@madhatter: yeah, i'm wanting to try it a couple different ways that i've heard of it being prepared... the method you suggested is one of them, then i've also heard of people adding spices herbs and honey, letting it sit over night then cooking it while wrapped in foil at a low temperature...

@abzy: i've already got several bowls of DM under my belt, and i LOVED every bowl of it, just wanting to try a little of everything and find out what i like the best to kinda use as a break from the typical sweet/fruity flavors that are readily available here in the states
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Honey should treat you fine. Just be aware that you should not be trying to get big clouds and it will take a long time to heat up to smoking temperature. Also working with straight honey will mean that it will cake into your bowl something fierce.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

i have never had DM
this is just an idea but could you get a mixed spice powder and mix it when socking the leaves to add some flavor. like add cinnamon powder to the water while socking it.

Old September 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
brando147
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Honey should treat you fine. Just be aware that you should not be trying to get big clouds and it will take a long time to heat up to smoking temperature. Also working with straight honey will mean that it will cake into your bowl something fierce.
i noticed this lol... i've already tried it with a bowl when i got a pack of REALLY dry zaghloul, and i had to take really hot water and a heavy-duty scrunge pad to it for about five minutes to get all the caked honey out lol... i was thinking of maybe diluting the honey in the water when i wet the leaves and crossing my fingers that it works well enough to not do this to my bowl again

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzy786 View Post
i have never had DM
this is just an idea but could you get a mixed spice powder and mix it when socking the leaves to add some flavor. like add cinnamon powder to the water while socking it.
i was thinking of maybe crushing up some whole cloves and a few other herbs to give it a kinda complex flavor, and just kinda play around with different flavors until i find something that i really like
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:40 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

yh try it out and tell us the end result
seems cool i wanna try it now

Old September 14th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando147 View Post
ok, so, i plan on preparing a couple bowls worth of the tombac that i just recieved from racemyghost, and i have an issue... i have honey, but no molasses or vegetable glycerine. will vegetable oil be close enough, or is there some other typical household item that should be readily available that will be a suitable replacement?
Check out the matter hatter post. Don't put glycerin in tombac. You should know that Zaghloul or plain Salloum or DM is not tombac. All three are black moassels which require a totally different way to set up then does tombac.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM
brando147
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Check out the matter hatter post. Don't put glycerin in tombac. You should know that Zaghloul or plain Salloum or DM is not tombac. All three are black moassels which require a totally different way to set up then does tombac.
i am indeed aware that they are different styles and require different setup... i am merely experimenting with things that i've heard of people trying, and seeing how i like it
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM
brando147
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
i am indeed aware that they are different styles and require different setup... i am merely experimenting with things that i've heard of people trying, and seeing how i like it, as i stated earlier in the thread: "@madhatter: yeah, i'm wanting to try it a couple different ways that i've heard of it being prepared... the method you suggested is one of them, then i've also heard of people adding spices herbs and honey, letting it sit over night then cooking it while wrapped in foil at a low temperature..."
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

when you start adding herbs and such you no longer have tombac but something else. The method you mention is an approach to make your own moassel. You use tombac as an ingredient in something else but the resultant concoction is not tombac.

In every place you can go to where people smoke tombac they do so with dried leaf soaked in water and coals placed directly on the leaf. It is true that different sorts of leaf can be blended and dried during the curing and packing process and various herbs/liquids can be added to the base but what doesn't change is that tombac means dampened leaf and direct heat.
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
brando147
Hookah Nut

i appreciate your knowledge hajo, however, i am aware it is no longer tombac when other things are added... i guess i wasn't quite clear enough with that in my initial post... i am interested in trying it as tombac, and as an ingredient in home-made moassel.

i do appreciate your interest in keeping others knowledgeable on these matters though
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Thank you for the clarification. It would seem we were talking about two different things but now that I know what you mean I think I can help.

In my experience mixing tobacco with agglutinates and boiling them has never produced the proper consistency or smoking qualities I want in a moassel so I suggest the following tips:

1) Tombac is best suited as a base so I typical use 30-50% of the tobacco used in my recipes. I never wash it for the simple reason that the flavour compounds that exist in tobacco disappear along with the nicotine.
2) Typically I like the remaining tobaccos used in my moaasels to be a mix of bright, flake, Burley tobacco and a decent quality dark Cavendish although the more aromatic style snuff tobaccos are good as well and I have post about uses such stuff in homemade moassels floating around here someplace.
3) I always use high quality molasses, never honey. I've got a thread here about what sort molasses is best for any given application.
3) Don't use vegetable oil or any sort of oil. Glycerin adds a bit of sweetness since it's a sugar but mainly it's added to improve the burn characteristics. Old style products don't use it at all but most of us want more smoke production so we typically smoke stuff with glycerin in it.
4) The flavours you add to a moassel should compliment rather then totally mask the natural flavour of the tobacco/molasses mix. Adding actual herbs has never worked well for me so I add herbal/spice extracts since they are far easier to work with. What you don't want are alcohol, sugar or oil based extracts since they tend to produce nasty flavours when vaporized. I've tried a great many brands of flavour extracts and without a doubt the best by far can be found here at www.lorannoils.com/c-2-lorann-gourmet.aspx They are expensive but they are strong and you don't need much so it's actually a good value.
5) I've found that homemade moassels are best when the molasses is added at a rate of 5-8g per 25g of tobacco. The essential extracts need to be mixed to taste but if you want some guidelines let me know. After mixing thoroughly you spread the product on a good cookie sheet ( I use volrath cookie sheets) and depending upon the composition of the tobaccos I bake the mix at 175-250F for 2-4 hours depending upon cut and type of tobaccos used in the recipe.
6) After it's done baking I scrap it off into a mixing bowl with a spatula and let it cool. After it's cool I mix in 3-6g of glycerin per 25g of moassel and mix fully.

At that point it's ready to smoke.
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:15 AM
brando147
Hookah Nut

thank you VERY MUCH hajo, that was a good deal of the information i required, but was unable to find.

-for the pipe tobacco, should i use an unflavored, or is that merely personal preference? and should i get this tobacco wet similar to preparing tombac?
-and, with the tobacco leaves, i'm also assuming that by not washing it, you mean to just prepare the leaves the same way i would for tombac. is that correct, or do you have a different method?
-is there a specific type of molasses that i should use, or will a jar of "grandma's" brand molasses work?
-and some guidelines would be appreciated for the ratio of oils to tobacco. for example... if i wanted a moassel with a with a cinnamon, clove and nutmeg taste; what would be a good balance of oils if i'm just making enough for a couple bowls? additionally, what is your favorite mix of oils?

Last edited by brando147; September 15th, 2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

When using pipe tobacco stay away from flavoured (fruit, coffee, rum etc) stuff since the casing used are not that great and the results are strange off flavours in your moassel. Don't use extremely aromatic blends becuase most of them lose the qualities that make them special during the baking process. You can keep most of the aromatic qualities but it's really hard to do and certainly not something for a beginner. Use the sort of tobaccos I mentioned in my last post instead.

When preparing the tombac base used in your own moassel just prepare it as if you were going to smoke it by itself. For molasses guidelines see: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...light=molasses & http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...light=molasses
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Tombac and glycerin... sounds like a bad idea.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook