Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

is money the only factor or not?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: is money the only factor or not?

I think Nakhla is more traditional and original. It comes out of Egypt so you know that it's going to be good because it actually supplies the Arab world as well as the rest of the world with real, traditional, good quality hookah tobacco.

Seems to me that SB just kinda picked up on the hookah trend, learned how to make shisha tobacco with some Tobacco they bought from KY, slapped a heavy price on it and presented it as the new thing.
It seems like the modern style Tobacco, whereas Nakhla is the traditional one, like I said.

Guess I'm just more of a traditional guy....
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM
ElektrikBlack

For me, money isn't the only factor, but it is a factor. I've tried a good amount of flavors from Starbuzz, but have only liked a few. I think I'm less willing to pick up a flavor from Starbuzz because of previous experience (the key factor) and the price just helps me make the final decision.
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Telly03
Hookah Newbie

Money is not the factor for me at all, I would pay twice as much for something if I enjoyed it more.

I haven't tried Nahkla yet, I have an order from you on the way that I believe includes some. I have tried SB but I like Layalina better so I have been ordering that and trying other brands here and there.
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

hipster tobacco < nakhla

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM
kingboyb
Banned

I think people are confusing quality with consistency when they say Nahkla is a quality a product.

My thoughts:

Each brand has hit and miss flavors. Nahkla seems very popular because it is the most consistent brand that people can pack and smoke right away. However to me, its selection of flavors leaves something to be desired.

Its great that they have a "if its not broken, don't fix it" attitute, but I would not call them innovative/interesting enough to buy thier products all the time. I'd rather have some duds mixed in with some really great smokes, than have something thats mediocre all the time. I continue to buy only what interests me, but I can understand people's decision not to buy anything but Nahkla if they have been frightened into thinking that buying anything else is "gambling".
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
I think people are confusing quality with consistency when they say Nahkla is a quality a product.

My thoughts:

Each brand has hit and miss flavors. Nahkla seems very popular because it is the most consistent brand that people can pack and smoke right away. However to me, its selection of flavors leaves something to be desired.

Its great that they have a "if its not broken, don't fix it" attitute, but I would not call them innovative/interesting enough to buy thier products all the time. I'd rather have some duds mixed in with some really great smokes, than have something thats mediocre all the time. I continue to buy only what interests me, but I can understand people's decision not to buy anything but Nahkla if they have been frightened into thinking that buying anything else is "gambling".
sadly, save a few flavors with AF, if you had AF before they changed anything now is gambling. epic is like playing roulette with 6 rounds in a revolver, SB is just too candy like and chemical to be a common purchase for many smokes (i only really like 3 flavors from them myself) pharoahs is good but not always unique...and it has been a miss a few times...tangiers noir...well im sorry, regardless of what eric thinks of his own product, its not as pleasant as his lucid line, sure the flavor feels stronger but the tobacco body seems like you're lighting a philly w/ a bic lighter sometimes.

one of the great reasons people are attracted to nakhla is yes, it is consistent.

But not consistently crappy, it smokes well. its easy to set up. it doesnt require hours of airing out with each purchase, it doesnt leak juice everywhere, its a solid tobacco. and yes, there are many flavors that arent pleasant that nakhla makes, i have noticed though, that most of those flavors are horrible with pretty much every other brand.

im not saying nakhla is the best tobacco out there, but on the mainstream market, if its not in the top 5 theres something wrong with your scale...find me 5 main stream brands that really deserve to be above it and you will have me shocked.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:

My thoughts:

I think a lot of people mean it when they say nakhla is a quality product. Nakhlas flavors taste more natural and there is no doubt in my mind they ARE more natural. I think having natural flavoring is much better and much better quality than starbuzzes lab-produced flavorings and dyes with chemical formulae 2 pages long. A lot of people knock nakhla for the stems, it just shows that its not overly processed crap like you have in the states.
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

For me.
I grew up with close egyptian freinds and when we turned eighteen.It was only Nakhla and egyptian pipes that were ever used.We did splurge alot for bahraini tobacco when it was available.And the occasional AF.But Nakhla will always be my go to smoke.I don't care for anything else really,the only other tobacco I'm gonna give another shot is tangiers for the lucid as I had the OG and it was good but was a bit finicky here in the upper mid-west.You can keep yer starbuzz and tonic and all that other modern stuff cause I'm old school
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
I think a lot of people mean it when they say nakhla is a quality product. Nakhlas flavors taste more natural and there is no doubt in my mind they ARE more natural. I think having natural flavoring is much better and much better quality than starbuzzes lab-produced flavorings and dyes with chemical formulae 2 pages long. A lot of people knock nakhla for the stems, it just shows that its not overly processed crap like you have in the states.
Make no mistake. There is no natural flavoring in any major brand hookah tobacco product that's been discussed on this on this forum (short of HH's peanut butter which contains peanut oil). Nakhla may taste more natural, but they use the same flavoring products (i.e. chemicals) that all the other brands use.
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

Money isn't the only factor but one of the top. If im going to drop 20 bucks on a can or tobacco, it better be amazing and with SB, Fantasia and JM its not like that. Nakhla i can always rely on since it never changes. Same great flavors all the time. Even flavors i didn't like before i start to enjoy after a while. Tangiers is also like Nakhla and i don't have to worry about someone changing the formula since its already great. Ill drop 14 on tangiers but that is as far as i go. But even Nak with growing tobacco prices seems like the great price wont last. 6 months ago i could get it for 5 bucks a box now its double that most places. SB said that their for the college student, but to me their for making the college student broke.
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

One of the reasons I wanted to start Hookah Pro .. was to educate on different brands, flavors and cost with unbiased reviews and opinions from a proficient hookah smokers point of view. Too many people are fooled into thinking that because something is labeled "premium" and costs more that it must be better!? No, that is not the case! You DON'T always get what you pay for! Do your research, that is what this site is for!

Personally I want the most bang for my hard earned buck! Nakhla has some GREAT flavors .. and I also think Starbuzz has some GREAT flavors! If Nakhla didn't make a delicious Earl Grey and Starbuzz did .. I would buy the Starbuzz version because I really like Earl Grey Tea. For me it is about the flavor and what I like .. along with what I am "willing" to spend. I think Starbuzz makes a great White Peach I would be willing to buy that for $15 (after a vendor discount)

I think prices of tobacco are getting RIDICULOUSLY high! I think we need more education on cost to value ratio of products. It infuriates me to see vendors selling tobacco that is way overpriced! It deters me from wanting to buy or support anybody that is willing to downsize their morals, integrity and quality just so that they can make a "slightly" bigger paycheck. Greed will kill these businesses off eventually. We are an educated community that is growing larger every month and I believe a lot of us protect each others better interest with unbiased reviews and opinions.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

Aside from testing out the latest in trendy HP flavor of the month from time to time, it all comes down to what im in the mood for between Nakhla and SB. I try to keep equal amounts in the stash. Price doesn't matter in that respect.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

This is a really good topic. I enjoy some starbuzz flavors but it's not my favorite. I'm a little particular when it comes to price as I don't make that much at the moment. I enjoy a good Nakhla and wouldn't mind spending a little more on it as I'm fine with paying to get AF. I don't know, each brands have their flavors that I'd buy no matter the price. But yeah if SB was cheaper I would be inclined to buy it more often than I do at the moment.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:32 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

There a maybe 3 Starbuzz flavors i really like. That's it. The rest are either chemical or sickeningly sweet. Over-all, starbuzz is not a great product. It's severely overpriced for the taste you get, an unnatural jumble of glycerin and lifeless tobacco pieces. They also dye it bright or deep colors, which is sickening to me. The best flavor from SB, Tangerine Dream, has a natural flavor and a not-so-heavy sweetness. The Nakhla Mandarin has a realistic and natural flavor with a more acidic (natural) flavor found in actual oranges. Now, it depends on your tastes, but I would much rather have the natural over the sweet-natural-candy. Also, I save 13 bucks.

Tobacco is not about the $$ for me, it's about the tastes. Now, if something great can be had for cheap, why the hell wouldn't you want that? The only explanation is that your palate is different than mine and you would choose SB Tangerine over Nakhla Mandarin simply because you enjoy it; but that is exactly how I am, I only smoke SB coconut and hate Nakhla Coconut.

So for me, it's strictly about the taste, and I like the natural, delicious taste Nakhla has compared to the sugary syrup-sweet chemical OD of SB, Fantasia, etc.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Efactor
Hookah Newbie

I like starbuzz and if it is cheaper I would buy more. As for Nakhla, certain flavors are good but I don't like all of it and I don't like the heavy buzz. My personal 2 cents.
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Brutus
Hookah Nut

Can't say Nakhla is my favourite brand, but it's deffinitely good.

So is starbuzz, even though they have some flavors that makes me wanna vommit (but so does Nakhla.. DA. YUCK!).

I buy what i enjoy, and i buy what i think i'll enjoy.. If i order from the US (which i do if i wanna get any good shisha beside AF), anything is a bargain really.. If i have to pay 10 or 20$ dollars for 250g, so what. It's still so dirt cheap.
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

SB is too candyish for me, price doesn't have much to do with my purchases. I prefer nakhla because its always consistent, smokes well, doesn't take any special techniques to smoke, and the fact that its not washed and dyed (for the most part) is always a plus.
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

I agree with you sambooka greed is gonna kill alot of the band wagon make a quik buck vendors.With the kind of highspeed and long reach of internet users now able to talk openly about the experiances they've had with different vendors only the ones willing to make that extra effort to satisfy there costermers with outstanding service and unmatched value will be left standing.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

IDK. I like Nakhla but I like AF more! AF is still king in my book for shisha.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Demonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc607b View Post
my opinion of nakhla wouldn't change if the prices of the two brands were reversed. the only reason i buy starbuzz is because my local smoke shop sells it and not nakhla. if it were the other way around i doubt i'd smoke much starbuzz at all.
you go down to legends on Contra Costa I'll assume.
They still charge $25 for a 250 tin?
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

I love Starbuzz and back in Jersey when my richer friends would contribute we would always order that. But I lose too much money from smoking that brand. It's very high premium quality to me though =]
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherno83 View Post
I love Starbuzz and back in Jersey when my richer friends would contribute we would always order that. But I lose too much money from smoking that brand. It's very high premium quality to me though =]
If you think its high quality and you really enjoy it, then how are you losing money?
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:35 AM
ngraz617
Hookah Nut

I like many SB flavors and am starting to enjoy the Mizo flavors a lot. Mizo is all I have been smoking lately. I couldn't stand Nakhla double apple and now it's one I crave. I just ordered 250g's of it in a jar, never had it in the jar and I'm really looking forward to it. Never smoked tangiers before and I just ordered three Lucid flavors and I can't wait. Bottom line is I don't really look at the prices that much but if it wasn't for AF and SB I wouldn't be smoking and enjoying hookahs today. What I am finding is that brands half the price are starting to appeal to me more and more each day. I would rather buy two Nakhlas than one SB today and a few months ago you couldn't give me nakhla for free. I'm realizing now that price has nothing to do with the quality and eventually I can see myself smoking more than Mizo and double apple, I'm gradually changing my taste towards these more traditional brands and am smoking brands like SB a lot less. I mean everyone has a sweet tooth and that is what it's like, it's only occasionally I feel like a starbuzz type of flavor, I crave the more natural unadulterated flavors more now than ever.
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Full disclosure, I've never tried Starbuzz. I read enough on here (even prior to becoming a member) that helped me make an informed decision and save my money. What I'm finding, as I experiment with different brands and flavors, is that I don't care for the gimmicky flavors as much as the more natural ones. If SB cost less I may be more inclined to try it, but I don't want to be out over $10 and end up with a shisha in my stash that will pretty much end up being wasted. I'm still kicking myself in the rear over that HF Ambrosia.

While cost is a consideration, since we're a one-income family, I would be inclined to pay more for a brand that offers quality shisha with natural flavors than I would be to spend less on a brand that offers mostly novelty flavors.

But this is coming from someone who is still very new to hookah. I'm sure over time my tastes and preferences will change, and I'm not saying I'll never buy a SB flavor or smoke another flavor with lots of artifical flavors with a cheeky name; however, I find myself liking the less expensive, good 'ol standby's better than the ones with catchy names and witty descriptions.
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

Quote:
If you think its high quality and you really enjoy it, then how are you losing money?
Cause I feel the same about Tangiers and save money from it =D
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook