Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

is money the only factor or not?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 16th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Genie
Hookah Nut

Default Re: is money the only factor or not?

I don't find setting up a hookah a convenient thing to do. Nor do I enjoy the process of heating the coals and the mess they make on my counter (I'll never get all that black dust out of the tile on my counter). I continue to accumulate more and more scorch marks on my living room rug and on the oak parquet floor in my computer room where I also smoke. Cleaning my KM is pain in the butt. The cleaning brush ALWAYS sprays soapy water all over me and the counter when I pull it out of the vase no matter how careful I am

With all this in mind, if I'm not blissfully enjoying the shisha I'm smoking, then it has all been a waste of time and energy and I am not relaxed and happy but annoyed and feeling put out.

For me, it's about taste. Even the most expensive shisha is still cheaper than a cigarette habit and I am actually still surprised that shisha has remained as cheap as it is. I don't like SB and I wouldn't buy it no matter how cheap it was. I'd buy the cheapest shisha on the market if I liked it. I'd see what I could do about buying the best tasting shisha if it were highly expensive--I'd probably find a way to pay for it. And if there were a generic shisha out there that had great flavor and was reliable in its flavor consistency (one batch of a particular flavor tasting like every batch of that flavor) I'd be all over it.

I subscribe to the For Sale/Trade thread and watch it closely for anyone selling a quantity of shisha I love cheaper than I could get it otherwise.

So, no, money is not the only factor. Taste is the number one factor. Price is something I just have to deal with.
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Genie
Hookah Nut

I should add..... there are a lot of flavors I haven't tried because I won't buy more than 50 grams of something that I haven't tasted yet. When it comes to trying something new, money IS a factor. I wish more vendors had sampler packs or a wider variety of 50 gram packs. If they did, I'd try a whole lot more shisha.
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

When I first started this lovely lifestyle, I began with Layalina. Mid pried, decent flavor, I then purchased some starbuzz when the guys at the shop close to me said it was the "most popular". Guess what..... it sucked.

From that point I kept smoking AF, and Layalina, then Deja Vu (another high cost candy flavor). After discovering HP I learned that there were other choices out there. Then along comes BP and introduces me to the finer side of the tobacco. Soon after I switched to Nakhla. Now its all I smoke. The flavor is very nice and comforting, kind of like an old blanket you just can't seem to throw away.

No price has never been an issue. If I can't afford it, and there have been times that I couldn't even afford Nakhla, I just don't buy. Flavor is the real issue for me. If starbuzz tasted like Nakhla, and had less liquid to it, then I might buy it more often. Price is not an issue.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
brando147
Hookah Nut

personally, i would still buy a lot of nakhla if it cost a little more, and still wouldn't buy starbuzz... i've noticed that the unwashed tobacco usually has better flavor, and an awesome amount of smoke. and JUST from reviews i've read, starbuzz sounds way too sweet for my taste (this isn't to say that i wouldn't try it if a friend loaded a bowl of sb, i just don't want to pay that much for 100g that i MIGHT NOT smoke again).

it's mainly just personal preference. some people enjoy really sweet stuff with no buzz to it, some enjoy sweet flavor with a mild buzz, etc.
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
cuellar
Hookah Nut

I personally do not care for starbuzz much

so if the prices were switched i most likely still wouldnt buy it
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Nakhla is my favorite shisha because of the buzz and the natural tobacco flavor behind the taste. Personally, I think it tastes more like a higher end type of shisha. Higher end meaning it might take a little bit to get accustomed to it, so it isnt great for beginners. But the fact that it is cheap makes that even better. Putting Nakhla on top of all others. If SB and Nakhla were to switch prices, I would still see nakhla as the superior shisha, and SB would be the cheap stuff that the hipsters smoke. It would almost make more sense that way...But, since there are a lot of unexpirenced hipsters smoking SB, they can raise the price..
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
craigz
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to craigz

I smoke nakhla about 80% of the time and occasionally SB. Money is a big factor for not having much SB in my stash but definitely not the only one. If SB was cheaper then I would certainly buy much more of it but lowering the price would not make me smoke it more than nakhla. NFL! (nakhla for life)
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Gurilla79
Hookah Nut

money is an issue so i buy nakhla but because of that fact i find a great taste to it its nautral taste its well relaxing buzz and its decent clouds it gives me all i need to enjoy a great session
but if im hosting i need to spend more even if i dont have money because all they want is there starbuzz i enjoy it but not as much as the the the cheap but extremely good stuff!
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie View Post
I should add..... there are a lot of flavors I haven't tried because I won't buy more than 50 grams of something that I haven't tasted yet. When it comes to trying something new, money IS a factor. I wish more vendors had sampler packs or a wider variety of 50 gram packs. If they did, I'd try a whole lot more shisha.
^This! I'm the same way. I have a difficult time committing to spending money on 250g for something sight unseen. Sometimes I'll play it safe with the more traditional flavors that I know I'll enjoy; however, when it comes to the flavors with fancy names and vague descriptions I just have a hard time forking over the money. If they offered it in 50g quantities I'd definitely be more inclined to try them.
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM
luqyno1
Hookah Nut

as many fellow UK HP members would know, its expensive to get any tobacco, so regardless we are always paying high pricess, that said, i wouldnt mind paying top dollar for some really nice shisha, cos for me its all about the taste, i love a few alfakher flavours mainly cherry, and ill pay good money to get a batch produced from ajman aswell. i really really like nakhla mizo watermelon, and intend on trying some more nakhla, as its not two sweet or artificial. the fact that its cheap is just a bonus. with SB ive tried quite a few flavours (guava/melon/citrus mist/ blue mist/ choc mint/fruit sensation/raspberry) and personally couldnt even think of buying any of them again, that is how much i hate them. even if the were same price as nakhla, i still think there just not up to scratch and always seem to have an underlying taste of something unpleasent, which puts me off.

so for me, moneys no object, it really is all about the taste

Last edited by luqyno1; September 16th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:29 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Money isn't as much a factor as the other aspects of tobacco for me.
Consistency is one thing that I like the most about Nakhla. If I enjoy a flavor and smoke it until there is a goey, tobacco less oblivion at the bottom of my mason jar, I can go out and buy another 250 and expect the flavor to be very similar to the previous batch I enjoyed so much.
Secondly I enjoy the qualities of Nakhla more than the glycerin tanks out there. I enjoy the unwashed tobacco because it has a more robust flavor and undertones than a heavily washed tobacco. I appreciate the cut of Nakhla because it is very simple to pack and doesnt require special bowls or techniques, and still smokes pleasantly. I cant smoke a bowl of Nakhla (excluding Mizo) for more than one set of coals which is perfect. After an hour of smoking, I'm ready to either pack up the bowl and call it, or load another flavor. Sure it doesn't last like Starbuzz would, but I dont need a Starbuzz marathon. Nakhla feels cost effective for what it is, with the way that SB is, I feel like I am wasting what I paid a premium for.
Returning to the topic, the price. For Nakhla I get a smokable and very enjoyable tobacco at a great price. If I paid SB premiums for every Nakhla flavor I have, I would be out an additional $400+ dollars for something that as I have said I feel isn't as cost effective. Even if Starbuzz was able to deliver a CHEAP, consistent, unwashed tobacco, I don't smoke Starbuzz wants me to smoke. I enjoy Nakhla because it smokes like I smoke.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:07 PM
matthewtwood1
Hookah Newbie

Tangiers combines the earthy, traditional quality which makes Nakhla so appealing with the inspiration of flavor which the best Starbuzz varietals offer. BOOM.
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

I think price has a small factor but is what people prefer at the end of the day.
like on the for i have seen some mollasels someone has been selling at $50.00 for 100g and it sold fast. it is what people prefer. personall i think starbuzz is toooo over rated and i only like some flavours. nakhlah has a far more natural taste but AF is still the 1 of the best

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:52 PM
tman451
Hookah Newbie

I agree with most others. If the price for starbuzz were less, it would encourage me to buy more, only so that I could hunt for the flavors i really enjoy. SB is very hit or miss, with me wanting to either cry and throw 20$ into my garbage can, or being overjoyed. Nahkla has never really done anything amazing for me, maybe i'm an oddball in that aspect. But from all the flavors I've gotten, everything has been between a 6-9 on a 10 scale for me, and that says to me "the people that make this know what they are doing and make flavors for everyones preference". I would feel a lot safer trying a 20$ 250 of a random nahkla flavor and know i would at least be ok with it, than having a 75% chance I would detest it if it was starbuzz. So sure, price effects my willingness to gamble on the unknown, but for what I know I like, I'd be willing to pay a little extra for the piece of mind knowing I get what I want, kind of like buying a steak over a hamburger.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:59 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

For most. price is going to be a factor. Considering SB is 4x the price of nakhla, you gotta figure someone could get a 1000g of nakhla for the price of one tin of SB.

Personally, I don't see where the buzz about nakhla came from. The stuff was completely gross to me. I don't know if it's one of those recent trends or what. Honestly, with the price of SB, I only managed to get to try a few. I hadn't managed to find any flavors that were horrible which is more then I could say with nakhla. If you factor in the price though, there's no way I could say it's 4x better.

What I can say is that the tobacco used is of a better quality. On the other hand though, they use massive amounts of coloring. Then again a lot of brands do.
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewtwood1 View Post
Tangiers combines the earthy, traditional quality which makes Nakhla so appealing with the inspiration of flavor which the best Starbuzz varietals offer. BOOM.
i disagree, tangiers is a good smoke and has it place but it sure as hell is not consistent unless you either go to erics lounge or live right around there because the climate will screw it up in seconds. also the only traditional quality is that is has a more egyptian style of flavorings and is unwashed (also we keep saying traditional, modern flavored moassel hasnt been around very long, i think less than 40 years so theres not much tradition there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherEnigma View Post
Money isn't as much a factor as the other aspects of tobacco for me.
Consistency is one thing that I like the most about Nakhla. If I enjoy a flavor and smoke it until there is a goey, tobacco less oblivion at the bottom of my mason jar, I can go out and buy another 250 and expect the flavor to be very similar to the previous batch I enjoyed so much.
Secondly I enjoy the qualities of Nakhla more than the glycerin tanks out there. I enjoy the unwashed tobacco because it has a more robust flavor and undertones than a heavily washed tobacco. I appreciate the cut of Nakhla because it is very simple to pack and doesnt require special bowls or techniques, and still smokes pleasantly. I cant smoke a bowl of Nakhla (excluding Mizo) for more than one set of coals which is perfect. After an hour of smoking, I'm ready to either pack up the bowl and call it, or load another flavor. Sure it doesn't last like Starbuzz would, but I dont need a Starbuzz marathon. Nakhla feels cost effective for what it is, with the way that SB is, I feel like I am wasting what I paid a premium for.
Returning to the topic, the price. For Nakhla I get a smokable and very enjoyable tobacco at a great price. If I paid SB premiums for every Nakhla flavor I have, I would be out an additional $400+ dollars for something that as I have said I feel isn't as cost effective. Even if Starbuzz was able to deliver a CHEAP, consistent, unwashed tobacco, I don't smoke Starbuzz wants me to smoke. I enjoy Nakhla because it smokes like I smoke.
good point. that is one of the reasons i cant smoke tangiers much, even lucid because even if i pack up a vortex with lucid loosely one set of coals looks like i didnt even smoke out of it, its great for smoking with friends or while watching a movie but after an hour+ round of coals my taste buds are getting tired.

and something weird with the nakhla consistency, i noticed some flavors change over time after they are opened (chocomint being the most noticeable one) after about 2-4 weeks its better, the liqueur aromas of it go away and it mellows out more to a smoke i like better (i think its the alcohol from the oil of peppermint that is probably used to flavor it that evaporates off and causes this)

merkaba, for a while i didnt get the draw of nakhla, didnt like it much but kept trying it cause the local place had it so i thought why not. after i smoked it for a while when i switch to other stuff the other brands just are kind of eww, once you find some flavors that fit you then you will be "wow, this is great", granted im not going to smoke nakhla 100% just cause i like variety but it is my main thing i think its just kind of time and your tastes have to just fit it

-matt
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM
santacruz
Hookah Newbie

I probably wouldn't change the brand if the prices were different. I prefer nakhla (as it is as traditional as it can get), but i do like some SB flavors as well. although they are really hard to get here in Europe. But still, nothing beats nakhla double apple mixed with some mint... and probably it never will.

Although... i will never buy nakhla tobacco in Turkey. On my last visit there, they sold me a copy of nakhla tobacco... imagine that...
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:32 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruz View Post
I probably wouldn't change the brand if the prices were different. I prefer nakhla (as it is as traditional as it can get), but i do like some SB flavors as well. although they are really hard to get here in Europe. But still, nothing beats nakhla double apple mixed with some mint... and probably it never will.

Although... i will never buy nakhla tobacco in Turkey. On my last visit there, they sold me a copy of nakhla tobacco... imagine that...
Actually, its funny you mention that. A few years ago there was a lot of knock-off shishas going around in the states. It actually became a pretty big problem and I think some of the companies started posting pages on how to identify the knockoffs. Kind of funny
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
TheAverageJoe
Hookah Newbie

When it come down to what I would buy if prices were flipped... It would probably still be both Starbuzz and Nakhla. I only smoke when in the company of my friends. Some prefer a mellow smoke of Starbuzz, and others prefer the traditional flavor of Nakhla. I happen to enjoy both. If the prices were switched I'd probably be buying more Starbuzz because I'm broke... but I still would be getting some nakhla. If Al Fakher remained the same price, the upped nakhla price wouldn't be so bad because I normally mix AF and nakhla in my bowl.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook