Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Very bad taste/no taste

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Jelmer
Hookah Newbie

Default Very bad taste/no taste

Hello Hookahkpro fans,

I have always a bad taste when I smoke hookah so I taught i'm going to use Cocobrico because they're natural coals, but I was wrong the taste sucked again as hell. What am I doing wrong? I use Nakhla different flavors, normal chinese bowl, cocobrico coals?
This is my hookah;

Please help!!!
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Very bad taste/no taste

I can't honestly tell you what you're doing wrong since I don't know exactly how you're doing things.

I can definitely suggest some things though.

A) make sure your water level is upto about the solid gold line(I think)

B) loosely pack the tobacco, make sure the foil is tight.

C) puncture the crap out of the foil

D) Make sure the coals are 100% red before placing them on the foil

Other then that, you'll help us more if you can explain your routine
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

Please describe the bad flavor.
Old September 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I was having the same problem with my old hookah. Bad taste, barely any flavor. I figured out what the problem was . My hookah had a leak where the port for the hose was. The threads were broken and caused a major leak. Which i am assuming caused me to have to pull harder and i was getting a lot of ash or someting. Also, how often do you clean your hose? The hose can end up with a lof of crap in it, which will also cause a bad flavor. Well atleast it did for me.

I got a new hookah with no leaks, and a better hose, and all is back to normal with flavor and a pleasant smoke. Oh also, i found another thing i was doing was that i was burning the tobacco. If you burn it, it tates horrible. Learn to properly manage your heat! It will help a lot. It did for me.
Old September 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

you might wanna give your hookah a scrub and a polish while you're at it.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:15 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

wash the hookah out and bowl in boiling water and then go watch some how to vids on packing a bowl and that should answer all questions you have but if you still got a problem then i dont know what to tell you man
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Jelmer
Hookah Newbie

Thanks a lot for all the replies! I'm going to try all the advices! I'll update lateer!
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

the myas (rough brass inside) get a horrid horrid taste, acidic, bitter, rank, horrid flavor that over powers everything. kinda stings almost. it takes a good washing to get it out. i would suggest scrubbing the crap out with dawn, good rinse, then a good cleaning with lemon juice or better yet vinegar. good rinse again. that might help part

other things are make sure the tobacco is well mixed up, packed loosely with a gap, make sure the coals are fully lit (a coal not fully lit will taste like crap)

-matt
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

if you have a shallow tub that the stem will fit inside, let the whole rig just soak in some vinegar for 30 minutes or so, go to the bathtub and run the water as hot as it will go. Get a decent stem brush and clean up the whole inside of the rig, (If you cant get a stem brush easily, a local firearms shop will have rifle bore cleaning kits, those work just as well).

An alternative method would be to take a rag and plug the bottom of the stem, fill the inside of the stem with vinegar, and plug the top with a rag and let it sit this way, probably less messy. If you want to polish up the outside of your stem, a little bit of brass polish and a soft cloth will work wonders, give it a good workover, then rinse all the polish off with hot water.

Make sure you scrub out the hose port and purge valve, they build up a lot of residue over time and cleaning them is just as important as brushing out the stem.

Lemon Juice mixed with Baking soda til it forms a paste is a great way to get flavors out of the stem as well, brush it out with this mixture after soaking it in vinegar.

Make sure your bowl is clean, someone already mentioned boiling it, do this, then let it cool down, make some lemon juice baking soda paste and let it sit in the bowl for 10-15 minutes then scrub it out with one of the green scrubby sponges.

If you have a washable hose, give it a good rinse out, any local music shop will have a swab line you can get to run through the hose and get the gunk off the sides.

Make sure your bowl is loosely packed so you dont burn the Mu'Assel

Make sure your coals are fully lit, an underlit coal (Especially coconut coals) will taste terrible, add a lot of bad flavor, and give you a CO headache (or make your stomach upset)

Best thing you can do is a lot of maintenance, use good brands of shisha (Nakhla, Starbuzz) and proper coal lighting.

Should get all the nasty out. If it doesnt, maybe post a video or pictures of how you're preparing everything so we can give recommendations based on that.

Cheers,
Waffle

Last edited by HookahWaffle; September 19th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

Is your hose washable? If not,and you have washed it,chances are the metal coil inside the hose has rusted and it might be the rust you are tasting. I ruined my KM hose by doing this. And this is how I was getting awful flavor.