Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The Origin of "Phunnel"

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
photolinger's Avatar
photolinger
Status: Offline
Arabian Sensation

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,364
Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Oh, ROPHL, i phixed it, I guess I'm still new to it.
__________________

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
  #52  
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hayter's Avatar
Hayter
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

How about this. Agree to diagree and make the tangiers or other "true" "better " bowls spelled phunnel. And force the chinese ones be spelled funnel. It would make telling the difference between them all a little easier as well.
__________________
(*Disclaimer* These are my opinions and mine alone. It does not reflect the opinions of others and is based on my personal smoking enjoyment and experience)
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic7368_3.gif
GO KINGS!
  #53  
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
DaSebsch's Avatar
DaSebsch
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kentucky/Germany
Posts: 1,808
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
It's a brand name bowl, its not the phirst hookah bowl, its not going to be the last. Its a brand name. Is the Subaru Phorester in the dictionary? No, it isn't. Did subaru create the vehicle? yes, did they market it? yes. is it still a car? yes. Bottom line its an S-U-Phee (might as well take over that letter while we're at it) with a brand name. In the case oph tangiers, we haphe a bowl with a brand name that is a phariation on what it is in the end.

Forrester : SUphee :: Phunnel : Funnel

---

but that is beside the point. I pheel that sacrificing my phreedom to make you happy makes perphect sense.

--
edit: BP I wish you had posted that aphter me.
Yes, it's a brand name bowl. Every brand can decide on its name. Coca Cola is not spelled Koka Kola for whatever reason but they came up with it, they can name it.


What does the Subaro "Phorester" have to do with anything? If they wanted to call if Photester they could have. And yes, it's still a car but that's besides the point.

And I doubt that the Subaru "Phorester" would be in any dictionary, no matter how its spelled.

I have a simple solution to the problem at hand... if you don't like how it's spelled,write a letter, ask them if they'll change it, if they don't, don't buy it.
Just because you spell a brand name hookah bowl with a "Ph" doesn't mean the whole English speaking world is going to delete the "f" from the Alphabet.


You feel that sacrificing your freedom to make me happy makes perfect sense? Tell me again how you sacrifice your freedom because a brand name bowl is spelled with "ph" instead of "f"?
Or are you asking them to sacrifice their freedom of naming their product whatever they wish in order to make you happy?

Last edited by DaSebsch; September 24th, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
  #54  
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
foibled
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: OC
Posts: 541
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
How about this. Agree to diagree and make the tangiers or other "true" "better " bowls spelled phunnel. And force the chinese ones be spelled funnel. It would make telling the difference between them all a little easier as well.
NEVAR KOMPROMIZE!!
  #55  
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM
foibled
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: OC
Posts: 541
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
Yes, it's a brand name bowl. Every brand can decide on its name. Coca Cola is not spelled Koka Kola for whatever reason but they came up with it, they can name it.


What does the Subaro "Phorester" have to do with anything? If they wanted to call if Photester they could have. And yes, it's still a car but that's besides the point.

And I doubt that the Subaro "Phorester" would be in any dictionary, no matter how its spelled.

I have a simple solution to the problem at hand... if you don't like how it's spelled,write a letter, ask them if they'll change it, if they don't, don't buy it.
Just because you spell a brand name hookah bowl with a "Ph" doesn't mean the whole English speaking world is going to delete the "f" from the Alphabet.


You feel that sacrificing your freedom to make me happy makes perfect sense? Tell me again how you sacrifice your freedom because a brand name bowl is spelled with "ph" instead of "f"?
Or are you asking them to sacrifice their freedom of naming their product whatever they wish in order to make you happy?
Did you write a letter to Subaru and ask them to change their name to Subaro?
  #56  
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Scoop's Avatar
Scoop
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the City of Angels
Posts: 2,752
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

lol. i cant believe you are still arguing photolinger. you should step back and read this thread...

if you invented something and patent it, you can call it whatever you want...

Same for business names.

Please, allow me to show you some


Kraft
Kidz Tyme
Qwest
Fatz Cafe
Toys R Us
Steak N Shake
Whataburger
Chick-fil-A
Fatburger
In-N-Out Burger
Hot N Now
Krispy Kreme
Maid-Rite
Tastee Freez
Pick Up Stix
Dunkin Donuts

These have clearly ruined the American language. Are you still really going to argue this?
  #57  
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
DaSebsch's Avatar
DaSebsch
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kentucky/Germany
Posts: 1,808
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
Did you write a letter to Subaru and ask them to change their name to Subaro?

hahahhaa...no, but I'm starting right now!
  #58  
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
ZenSilk's Avatar
ZenSilk
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,605
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Wait... is this thread about how some people hate how Phunnel is spelled with a PH just phor phun? You could never tell just by reading it.

Why does it matter how it's spelled? Should I go punch phive year olds cause they spell words incorrectly?
  #59  
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Demonix
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 617
Send a message via AIM to Demonix
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

[argue]
I'M GOING TO ARGUE TOO!
[/argue]
  #60  
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hayter's Avatar
Hayter
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

You forgot Krispy Kreame
__________________
(*Disclaimer* These are my opinions and mine alone. It does not reflect the opinions of others and is based on my personal smoking enjoyment and experience)
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic7368_3.gif
GO KINGS!
  #61  
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Scoop's Avatar
Scoop
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the City of Angels
Posts: 2,752
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

nah, you musta missed it. its there heh
  #62  
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
shaffaaf27
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

ERIC calls is phunnel, he was first to make this idea real, and its the best thing that has happened to hookah IMO. He calls is a phunnel, so thats what we will.

its not a funnel, because i doubt funnels are used for shisha, bt its a phunnel because its his inventiona dn his name.

i mean why not criticise hoover for calling his vacume just that?
  #63  
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
photolinger's Avatar
photolinger
Status: Offline
Arabian Sensation

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,364
Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

because its a vacuum still, shaffaaf.

Seriously Scoop?

Kraft ....fake cheese.
Kidz Tyme ....never heard of it
Qwest .....medical lab?
Fatz Cafe .... cafe?
Toys R Us Toy store
Steak N Shake more fast food
Whataburger burger
Chick-fil-A - Best chicken in the workd
Fatburger -Hamburger
In-N-Out Burger - average burger with as much hype as tangiers
Hot N Now - i dont know
Krispy Kreme - doughnut
Maid-Rite - ...juice?
Tastee Freez - icecream
Pick Up Stix - Pick Up sticks
Dunkin Donuts - doughnut

Cool More examples of brands. if you really want to throw more at me, i can do my best to tell you what it really is without using google
just take your next list, and save me the time, and apply it to my last post yourself.

You're still wrong for calling me out for using an F.

BOTTOM LINE.

----

edit

OH WAIT I GOT SOME MORE GUYS!!!!!

Big 'n Tasty...burger
Double Stack....burger
whopper...burger
big mac....burger...


oh snap, theyre still the same thing regardless of the name!!!
COULD IT BE?!!!
__________________

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner

Last edited by photolinger; September 24th, 2009 at 04:03 PM.
  #64  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
photolinger's Avatar
photolinger
Status: Offline
Arabian Sensation

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,364
Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeHookahNut View Post
because it's a vacuum
well played. I can admit my grammar sucked there.

That, oddly enough, is the difference.
__________________

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
  #65  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Scoop's Avatar
Scoop
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the City of Angels
Posts: 2,752
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

photo, what are you talking about? im telling you those exist, do you write them complaints all day saying they bastardize the language?

you have no response to what i said. pretty sad. you managed to tell me what kind of companies they are? what does that have to do with me using examples that show misspelled words in our society. im just telling you youve lost. you made yourself sound dumb. i destroyed your argument for bastardization of language, since all those exist and you know of them.

in fact, youre the one who started this by suggesting that subaru spelled forester right...im just extending the bounds of your argument.

either way. im done. you really have nothing to say at this point and thats clear. so call it what you want...be ignorant in terms of the name it was given by the person who created it.
  #66  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:20 PM
photolinger's Avatar
photolinger
Status: Offline
Arabian Sensation

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,364
Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
photo, what are you talking about? im telling you those exist, do you write them complaints all day saying they bastardize the language?

you have no response to what i said. pretty sad. you managed to tell me what kind of companies they are? what does that have to do with me using examples that show misspelled words in our society. im just telling you youve lost. you made yourself sound dumb. i destroyed your argument for bastardization of language, since all those exist and you know of them.

in fact, youre the one who started this by suggesting that subaru spelled forester right...im just extending the bounds of your argument.
what is sad is that i have to hold peoples hands and stoop down to a lower level to explain this.

a "phunnel bowl" is still a funnel bowl....thats what im getting at...

so when demonix (not calling you out buddy) writes a post explaining why its ph not not f, well, this is me explaining why i use f.

A) I think stupid brand spellings should remain brand names and not be used as our actual words
B) Names are meant to be used as nouns not adjectives unless indicating some sort of possession, hence: Tangier's Phunnel (ahah!)
C) A "phunnel" is still a Funnel bowl, much like a big mac is still a hamburger.
1)So when i explain the subaru forrester is still an SUV and have someone agree with me on this and get confused....I GET CONFUSED by their argument.
2)The list I modified when you posted had a point to it. And if the statement proceeded by "C)" is still not a good enough explanation to that, I wash my hands of you.
D) Just because Eric made a "phunnel" doesn't mean its not a funnel still.
E) Because of D, you have no right to say Funnel is wrong.

If you don't understand these points by now, wow is all i can say.


and come on, really some of you did not quite get the ph thing earlier....
__________________

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner

Last edited by photolinger; September 24th, 2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: horrible typos minor ones left
  #67  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
BIGPOPPA's Avatar
BIGPOPPA
Status: Offline
I call it hypocritical BS
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: VAIL, AZ
Posts: 3,615
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

LMAO this thread is beginning to degrade in a ridiculous way.
__________________
Hi, my name's John. You are in violation of the balance. Leave immediately or I will deport you.
  #68  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Demonix
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 617
Send a message via AIM to Demonix
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

I f'ing hate you all...
  #69  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
kingboyb
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

For the love of all things hookah, please lock this thread and let it die.
  #70  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Dunkel's Avatar
Dunkel
Status: Offline
Bad Motherf^&*er!

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West by God Virginia
Posts: 10,708
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

photo please stop arguing with them. Didn't you know that whatever Eric says is the law and if you don't agree then you are wrong?

Seriously, I guess this all started when I said "Phunnel is how the trendy hipsters spell it. The word is spelled funnel. You don't phry bacon, and eat it with a phork. You don't phumble a phootball either." So months down the road Demonix quotes Eric (which was not posted here), and everyone that loves, defends or promotes Tangiers comes out with pitchforks and torches. If I want to call it a funnel, I will because it is the proper way to spell the word (regardless of what you say). If you want to call if a phunnel that's fine too.
__________________
Tangiers =
  #71  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
shaffaaf27
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

the thing is, wasnt eric the one to come up with the idea of the bowl? yes? if so then him calling it a phunnel bowl means thats their name, and a funnel bowl would then just still be a phunnel bowl.


MAN IM CONF000ZED!
  #72  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Demonix
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 617
Send a message via AIM to Demonix
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

kill this

Last edited by Demonix; September 24th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
  #73  
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
photolinger's Avatar
photolinger
Status: Offline
Arabian Sensation

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,364
Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: The Origin of "Phunnel"

Read the rest of the post buddy.

Anyhow:

At the request of Demonix, the OP of this thread, we are closing this down. After he asked me I was informed that we do indeed close the thread down if the starter wishes it. And that's why it is now:

LOCKED.

edit: This does not mean you should take this onto the Serious Discussion Forum or restart the topic again any time soon.
__________________

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner

Last edited by photolinger; September 24th, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "ring" or "pocket" foil method Interpol Homemade Hookah Stuff 96 March 29th, 2014 11:59 AM
cutting a "heart" into a "common chamber"? mattathayde Hookah Discussion 22 August 28th, 2009 11:16 PM
Small tangiers phunnel doesn't fit my 36" KM Luv2Smoke Hookah Discussion 25 August 17th, 2009 12:21 AM
US Military begins issuing new "Sniper System rifle" Lakemonster General Yada-Yada 7 November 6th, 2008 10:10 PM
A quick note to people who like Hookah Freak "Pippen's Spiced Rum" churlz Hookah Discussion 7 October 4th, 2008 05:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.