Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

This may offend some of you but...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
bearh
Hookah Newbie

Default This may offend some of you but...

i actually strongly prefer most starbuzz's over nakhla.
maybe im just doing it wrong, but my nakhla is always super harsh.

iv tried one coal, two coals. both nats and QL's.
packed tight, packed loose.
iv tried one layer foil and 2 layers. iv got the water all correct.
iv used an egyption and vortex. what could it be??

i like big puffy clouds that starbuzz gives, but nakhla's always harsh.
whyy?
is nahkla just not that good at making big clouds?
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Default Re: This may offend some of you but...

I can't obviously speak for everyone, but I'm not offended. Whether I care for a flavor or brand myself doesn't mean everyone should equally dislike it. I don't smoke Starbuzz because I can't justify the cost.

I've seen plenty of review videos on here where members get some decent size clouds with Nakhla. Check those out. Most members disclose their set-up at the beginning of the review - what rig they're using, how many/what type of coals, wind cover or no, hose, etc. It may help you get a feel for Naklha heat management and improve your experiences with it.
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Well, I'm not qualified to assess what you may or may not be doing wrong, but to show that Nakhla is capable of big clouds, check out this video by oramac..

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...s&videoid=1944
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
I can't obviously speak for everyone, but I'm not offended. Whether I care for a flavor or brand myself doesn't mean everyone should equally dislike it. I don't smoke Starbuzz because I can't justify the cost.

I've seen plenty of review videos on here where members get some decent size clouds with Nakhla. Check those out. Most members disclose their set-up at the beginning of the review - what rig they're using, how many/what type of coals, wind cover or no, hose, etc. It may help you get a feel for Naklha heat management and improve your experiences with it.
beautifully said.

also, dude, youre a heretic, nakhla beats starbuzz with a zombie corpse

and don't take that comment as something hostile lol

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM
bearh
Hookah Newbie

haha i only titled it that because iv seen so many starbuzz bashing posts.

anyway i had bought 1000 grams of nakhla so i really want it to work

i got sweet mellon, double apple, strawberry and banana
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Starbuzz is frequently poo-pooed on because it's really overpriced. There are some good quality tobaccos on the market that cost a third of what SB does. The appeal of Starbuzz is mostly the monster clouds and catchy flavor names, but my understanding is that it lacks in flavor. Many people would rather have slightly less dense smoke if it means having a shisha that responds well to heat and tastes consistently amazing.

Don't get me wrong, there are tobacco brands that are a festival of fail all the way around. They taste like dung, the batches are inconsistent in quality, the cut is horrible, they produce thin clouds, they burn easily, etc.

When you say it's "harsh" do you mean it tastes burnt and it burns your throat or is it simply stronger than what you're used to? Bear in mind if you're used to Starbuzz, Nakhla is going to be more potent because SB is a washed tobacco, whereas Nakhla is not.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM
bearh
Hookah Newbie

hmm its very tickle-y. which i used to associate with the shisha becoming burnt.
however, i know thats impossible because the first hit would be tickley from nakhla.
soo maybe i just need to get used to it?
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

You know when you've burnt your shisha. When you inhale it burns - like, "oh my, I can't stop coughing" burn. It also tastes horrible. If the flavor is good, but you're getting the tickle, try packing a bit more of the Nakhla in your bowl and adding one half or one whole extra coal than you have before. Sometimes when it tickles it means you need to add some heat, and Nakhla is one of those tobaccos that is very heat tolerant.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Scrubmonkey
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Scrubmonkey Send a message via Yahoo to Scrubmonkey

now i smoke Star Buzz (when i can afford it)..not because of the hype but because i like the flavors..i don't really get why ppl say SB lacks in flavor..maybe it's just my tastes. But to comment on PL's response..... PHAIL nakhla tastes like it was rolled in an elephant's hynnie (and don't try to use the zombie body...u dun want to piss off the elephant..just saying) :P
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearh View Post
i actually strongly prefer most starbuzz's over nakhla.
Attached Thumbnails
bdysntch (2).jpg  

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Tookie23
Hookah Newbie

I dont think Naklha is any harsher, I just like starbuzz more.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I am a big fan of Nakhla DA and I am not offended !! I've had some bad batches of Nakhla in the past and they were exactly as you described them, very harsh. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it IMO. So, you might wanna try another batch and see if the problem is fixed. I would recommend getting 50g samples.

Last edited by Thunder; September 24th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Sykotik
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sykotik Send a message via MSN to Sykotik Send a message via Yahoo to Sykotik

I love both. I grew up on nakhla. But starbuzz is amazing in flavor, and smoke density.
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:34 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

my thing with starbuzz is that it has good flavors, just not as many, also as was stated above, it costs an arm and a leg....and the flavors do have a noticeble chemical aftertase that is much more pronounced than most brands ive tried, that is why i dont like it too much.

good starbuzz flavors to me: blue mist, citrus mist, citrus mint (thats it, and they arent to die for)

---

as for your nakhla issue, try fluffing the tobacco more, as in making it less dense in the bowl and having it not packed as high. that could just be it for you, honestly, what you are gonna need to do is adjust how dense and tall the bowl is packed as well as the heat to get what works for you....

then again you could just be sensitive to the smoke still....i know people who think theres a tickle from the strength of lucid and starbuzz and i laugh at them sayin, youre joking right? but they really arent used to the smoke

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

"festival of fail"
Sounds like my day today.

Anyway, I've found nakhla to be pretty darn forgiving. If you're using a phunnel, pack it thick juuust below the rim. 2 split naturals spread around the bowl works every time for me.

Edit: Referring specifically to the Mizo line of Nakhla which is different than the regular Nakhla.

Last edited by Straykat; September 25th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
esteban
Hookah Pro

imo flavour before clouds.
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Why would anyone be offended? If you like it, that's cool. They have a handful of flavors that are tasty, but too pricey for me.
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:18 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Doubt anyone will get offended here, its your opinion and everyone iwll respect it, i like both brands, i like the SB margarita, safari melon dew, and citrus mist, whereas in nakhlas theys other flavours i prefer, and i like some from AF some from Fumari, no not one brand is perfect its which flavour you prefer in which brand
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:22 AM
MrDoo
Hookah Newbie

I smoke a couple SB flavors, most I find too chemical tasting or the taste is too faint. Tried some AF, it was OK, wanting to try some 360 next. I have had alot of luck with Nahkla, really enjoy the stronger more natural flavor. I usually get decent clouds as well, actually with the mizo line, I think I can actually get better clouds than with my SB. Sounds like a test coming on.

I will say that when I smoke Nahkla, I tend to not pack the bowl as high, as I tend to burn it. I am guessing this has to do with it being a drier shisha, and maybe it being unwashed makes it just that much harsher when you are close to burning it. With SB I pack it almost to the foil (but not touching). With Nahkla I keep it 3 to 5 mm from the foil. I am by no means an expert, but I have had better luck with burning and heat management, when I slightly under pack the bowl when smoking Nahkla.

I did have some bad luck with some batches of Nahkla Mango and Banana, seemed like it burnt super easy, and only tasted like smoke even when it wasn't burning. The next batch I got was better, dunno, maybe I got some old stock.
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:41 AM
imran
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to imran

I've just recently started smoking Starbuzz after a long while enjoying AF which I use to swear by now the opposite heh - Everyone I've introduced SB to loves the smell and flavour and I have KG's worth of AF which we don't smoke any more.

I'm probably very nieve in my understanding of good tobacco vs flavour vs clouds but at least for my small part SB has been a welcome addition. I do want to try Nakhla, how is the tar levels in comparison with SB etc?
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

If you like starbuzz over nakhla then that's your personal choice and yes nakhla does produce slightly less clouds but it's definitely not harsh. I think either your batch is very old and completely dried out and you need to add glycerine to it or your allowing the tobacco to touch the foil and need to create a little gap between the two
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:52 AM
iamjack
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran View Post
I've just recently started smoking Starbuzz after a long while enjoying AF which I use to swear by now the opposite heh - Everyone I've introduced SB to loves the smell and flavour and I have KG's worth of AF which we don't smoke any more.

I'm probably very nieve in my understanding of good tobacco vs flavour vs clouds but at least for my small part SB has been a welcome addition. I do want to try Nakhla, how is the tar levels in comparison with SB etc?
no tar... there is no tar in hookah tobacco.. unless you burn it... tar is only created by burning. All labels for hookah tobacco say 0.0% because you bake the tobacco.. you dont burn it.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM
imran
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to imran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjack View Post
no tar... there is no tar in hookah tobacco.. unless you burn it... tar is only created by burning. All labels for hookah tobacco say 0.0% because you bake the tobacco.. you dont burn it.
I meant to say nicotine! and more importantly what kind of a buzz does it have as SB isn't very hard hitting?
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:20 AM
iamjack
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran View Post
I meant to say nicotine! and more importantly what kind of a buzz does it have as SB isn't very hard hitting?
I really cant say for buzz (i really dont get a buzz anymore) but as far as nicotine - 0.05%... i dont know what you mean by hitting hard... i think SB is smooth... i havnt burned it. I like alot of SB flavors. Good clouds and good flavors.
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
imo flavour before clouds.
I agree .. it could be that you are smoking Nakhla the same as you would Starbuzz. This won't work because the Starbuzz is soaked in glycerin and the Nakhla is not.

Try packing the Nakhla light and fluffy in the bowl, below the foil (so the foil does not touch the tobacco) and then use a coal or two (depending on the size of your bowl) .. cover it with a windcover and then let it just SIT on the bowl and don't smoke it for a good 4 minutes at least. OK, now you are ready! Try it out ... should smoke great .. if it even starts to get a little harsh, go ahead and take the windcover off and adjust your coals. Clear the base and try again without the windcover. Should be ok. Windcover on and off to control heat .. and coals on and off to control heat.

You could always add a little vegetable glycerin too if you want ... just a little a 1/4 teaspoon or less.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook