Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Shisha tastes like menthol when I'm certain it's not supposed to

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo
Unhappy Shisha tastes like menthol when I'm certain it's not supposed to

I'm still a pretty novice smoker. Just about six months of smoking now. I've tried several dozen flavors and I'm finding that Layalina tends to be the most consistently pleasant for me. One if my favorites so far was Layalina's double apple, which I've only had from the 50g package. Well, in my most recent order from Hookah-Shisha I went ahead and bought a 250g package of the double apple, since I've liked it so much.

When I opened it up, it smelled like it should. Same texture and color and everything. Packed it like normal. But when I smoked it, after about 10 minutes of smoking a clear menthol flavor developed. It's less of a taste and almost more like a texture in the back of your throat. Almost minty, but not exactly. Just a cool sensation in the back of your mouth. Well, eventually it completely overpowered the flavor of the shisha. It was awful.

I can't figure out why it did that. My first thought was that maybe it has to do with acclimation? When I bought a big package of Tangiers, I had to let it sit out for a few hours before smoking it. I'm wondering if the Layalina stuff needs that also? I don't really know. I'm hoping someone here's got some advice.
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle
Default Re: Shisha tastes like menthol when I'm certain it's not supposed to

i'm thinkin that it's just how that layalina flavor is. i never liked layalina, the flavors were always weird for me and it gave me these wierd headache/dizziness. acclimation is only neccesary for tangiers.
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Double apple is good stuff but people often forget about the effects that anise flavors can have. It can have a distinct menthol like effect when inhaled. It seems like it may have been over heating or it could be a bad batch.
Old September 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

layalina? try their cola flavor! it's tastes just like Novocain. Seriously it also makes your mouth numb.

On a more serious note... move on to AF and Nakhla, they are the kings and eventually you will grow to like it.
Old September 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

I've tried a bunch of different brands. Romman is pretty much always too strong with comparably weak clouds (although the Almond was pretty good). Starbuzz is good, but from what I can tell it never really tastes like what it's supposed to. Al Waha was just bad; I think I got mango flavor or something. Fumari was way too sweet and didn't last very long, plus their fancy packaging leaks and is a pain to empty into another container. Fusion was good, especially the mint chocolate, but I can't seem to find them in 50g sampler packs so I'm apprehensive about spending $20 on a shot in the dark. Al Fakher was pretty good. Tangiers, well, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Layalina on the other hand is generally mild and from the dozen or so flavors I've tried from them, at least 2/3 tasted roughly like what was advertised and at least half of them were produced an enjoyable cloud and taste.

I know that it's hit or miss with pretty much every brand. It's just that I've already spent six months sampling different flavors and I'm starting to figure out what I like and don't like. I thought I really liked the Layalina Double Apple, but if the menthol flavor is supposed to be there, then it turns out I hate it. But, since I've smoked it before without that flavor, I thought it might have something to do with the way I was packing it or smoking it or something.

Maybe I'll call Hookah-Shisha and see if I can get them to send me a 50g pack for comparison.
Old September 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Double apple is good stuff but people often forget about the effects that anise flavors can have. It can have a distinct menthol like effect when inhaled. It seems like it may have been over heating or it could be a bad batch.
I agree with this. My main smoke is Nakhla DA. Sometimes the anise can produce a menthol sensation. Not so much a flavor per say, but sort of a cooling effect.

The only Golden Layalina I've had so far is Chocolate Cocoa. It is very mild and tastes great. It's in my normal lineup.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Okay, so as recommended I switched to Nakhla double apple. It's better, but it's definitely producing a similar effect. I just don't get it. Why didn't it ever have that before now? It's frustrating.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

This has happened to me with various DA flavors, not including Nakhla. I really don't understand why.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Kalutika suggested it might be that the shisha is getting too hot? I don't think I know how to avoid that.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

i think I've had what you're talking about, with nahkla DA actually... I found that when the anise started to get minty it was because I was barely over-cooking it, not enough to cause a cough but enough to drastically change the flavor... lower your temp and make sure to keep it off the foil...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook