Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hot Plates?!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Default Hot Plates?!

Well I went to wally world yesterday, aka Walmart, and couldn't seem to find any electric single burners. The closest things I could find was a camping one that runs on propane tanks, and a hot plate. I ended up swearing for about ten minutes and grabbed the hot plate.

When I got home I tested it out and it's actually pretty quick. In about 3-5 minutes it hits 500 degrees according to an infrared thermometer. Which is kind of surprising since its a dreaded GE Electronics product (I hate this company and it's products with a passion).

Anyway, since my hookah isn't here yet, I'm wondering if you guy's think it'll work for coals. My guess, is it might but the down side is I'll have to flip the coals around to get all the sides ready.

I read that some people have mentioned using them offhandedly, but I couldn't find any specific threads.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Hot Plates?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
Well I went to wally world yesterday, aka Walmart, and couldn't seem to find any electric single burners. The closest things I could find was a camping one that runs on propane tanks, and a hot plate. I ended up swearing for about ten minutes and grabbed the hot plate.

When I got home I tested it out and it's actually pretty quick. In about 3-5 minutes it hits 500 degrees according to an infrared thermometer. Which is kind of surprising since its a dreaded GE Electronics product (I hate this company and it's products with a passion).

Anyway, since my hookah isn't here yet, I'm wondering if you guy's think it'll work for coals. My guess, is it might but the down side is I'll have to flip the coals around to get all the sides ready.

I read that some people have mentioned using them offhandedly, but I couldn't find any specific threads.
i think its going to take a while since the coil burners are heating up to over 1000*. 500 is only 50 over the burning temperature of the wood so its going to be slow i think

-matt
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

I was actually disappointed in Wal-Mart's selection. I saw the single burner hot plate, but it was a bit out of my price range and I've heard it takes darn near forever to heat coals on one.

I bought a coil single burner at Walgreen's for $10 and it works like a charm. It heats up my CH nats in about five to seven minutes. It cools down pretty quickly as well. This is what I bought over at Walgreen's.

ETA: I have heard that with the solid hot plate style burners you can build a little tent around your coals with foil while they are heating and it will speed up the process. Let me see if I can find that video.

Last edited by HippieMama; September 28th, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
kingboyb
Banned

I've used hotplates before. They take a little longer, but the trade off is that they were easier to clean.
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Seanzo
Hookah Nut

its not all bad at least you guys can find single coil burners in the us a hell of a lot easier than us brits can!
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

okay cool, thanks for the info so far guys

love hp because you're always guaranteed a response.

hookah should be on the truck tomorrow. I'll try to throw up a video of it all, from un-boxing, setting up, smoking, all that good stuff. Hopefully It'll work out :P
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:22 AM
LemonJPooding
Hookah Nut

tell me how your hot plate works out, i saw the same one I think your talkin about, if its good ill grab one to!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook