Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bad or Old Exoticas?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:54 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog
Default Bad or Old Exoticas?

I got a box of exotica coals from nazarhookah today and I noticed a few things about them. When I had them on the stove I noticed a neon yellow flame coming from them. After being lit completely I noticed they had a strange smell, but I didn't really taste anything. When I ashed them they fell apart. Can someone shine a little light on this subject? I haven't had this problem before.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:36 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: Bad or Old Exoticas?

probably a bad one because since their are fairly new, like under 6 months they cant be old really since coal can hold for a long time. every now and then a stick i get will be off a little but in the end they work fine. keep on trying different sticks deeper in the box and if you keep getting it it was just a bad batch otherwise it was just a freak coal.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:50 AM
The Devils Playground2
Banned

And back to my old Motto. By Hookah Coals from Dry states. You know like Nevada. lol I am sure the middle of Texas stays pretty dry as well as Az never rains either. The last place I would get couals from is places like Hawaii, Florida, and Seattle.

But thats just my biased opinion don`t take it to heart.

And there ya go I did not self promote. See I am learning.
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:16 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

ahhh so tobacco from nevada must be bad because its drier so the tobacco must dry out easier. best to get it from wet states like seattle, florida or hawaii :
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:57 AM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

Yeah it may just be the top coals or something. It's a new box, so I didn't dig deep for coals to use.
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:55 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

That's strange, the worse I get from Exotica's is the splitting after cooking, but never a yellow flame. Moisture really can affect a coal, so maybe....
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

You can avoid the splitting by cuting them into smaller chunks I have found. If you do 1/4ths instead of 1/3rds they wont split.

Billy
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:10 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I aim for 1/4th pieces normally, they still split. Some will, others won't - I have noticed that the "remainder" of the fresh stick, will tend to split if not used within a day of breaking the first chunk off (or leaving it out, which I have a habit of doing - easier access to more coal in a session). So maybe the exposure to air is affecting mine...

Still doesn't explain the yellow flame king got.
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:43 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

weird, i almost always break mine into 1/3s and have never had them split while lighting. i have left one or two out of the box for a couple days and didnt notice a difference in their performance either. i dont think the flame is anything bad or good, its just a result of so much heat in the area. the flame showed up the first time i opened the box and lit a piece, but i have also seen it while lighting QLs on the stove burner
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:36 AM
the Devils Playground
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to the Devils Playground

I spoke to gabriel on this issue. He said " Ineresting" Yea he say that about anything though so that did not matter. He Did go on to say however that it may have been a box that was dropped and the caols were fragile in the first place (not to balme anyone especialy a dealer). We (as vendors) do not know how bad the shipper treats the stuff before it gets to us. He was sure it was not from the new batch either. The new batch is even better then the old batch.

The stuff Nazar has coming right now and should be to him by today is the new stuff. So when you get some from him or I post how they work. I am interested to see if Gabe was hyping the coals or if really is better. ( Relax that was not self promo). So lets all see how the new coals are and hope it was not just hype and its really better. The new exotica Quick Lights will be out in Jan. or Feb.
Everyone have a great day.

Thanks, The DPG
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:34 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I usually get my exotica's from Nazar. I had a few sticks in the first batch that split so i do 1/3 or 1/4ths. I even had a few pieces just shatter on contact. But it's fine haven't had that happen again since then, i wouldnt trade them for the world.

I have an ornangy yellow flame from mine, i think it probably has something to do with how hot the actual burner gets instead of the coal it's self. Or the mixture wasn't completely 100 uniform and more of one chemical in that stick or sticks.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

It must've just been the first few sticks off the top. I don't have any problems now that i'm deeper in to the box. These are by far the best coal out there. I'm glad I have two boxes.
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM
the Devils Playground
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to the Devils Playground

I spoke to gabriel on the coals matter. He said they may have got wet at some point. He says it does happen. Don`t blame the deler. it even happened when they are on the water coming over here from where ever hey are made. He advised to simple remove them from the box. Place them on some paper towles for a couple days to let them dry back out completely and they will gain their strength and smoke fine again.

He did go on to say this is not as rare as we would like to believe and this system is good for all coals not just his.

Theres another useful post from the DPG and I did not self promote. See I am getting the hang of this guys.

Thanks
The Devils Playground
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook