Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Differences between hoses (interesting find)

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 13th, 2007, 12:13 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Default Differences between hoses (interesting find)

I just got back from having a session and the strangest thing happened... I switchced my Mya Cloissone hose, with the wooden tip Mya hose that came on my mini acrylic... It shocked me to realize that the wooden tip hose was affecting the taste of the setion. It was giving it a woody/raspy taste. I then switched it back to the Cloissone hose, and right at that moment, it got smoother and tasted better!

I didn't know that there could be such a vast difference in flavor between two hoses made by the same manufacturer...Unfortunately my Mya Cloisonne hose is rusting, even though Mya claims it to be fully washable . That's obviously not the case. And what sucks even more is the fact that I've NEVER ran water through it! It just mysteriously started rusting from the inside! Anyway, I'm in the process of looking for a fully wahsable hose, and I'm leaning towards the Nammor. I hope that one doesn't affect the flavor in a negative way...

I guess now I should try and smoke out of my mini acrylic with the better hose, to see if it smokes better. I posted a not so good review of it in the review section, and this hose difference may very well be the reason why.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:20 AM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog
Default Re: Differences between hoses (interesting find)

You will be pleased with the nammor. I think it's the best hose out there, and definately worth the money.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:22 AM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmaddog
You will be pleased with the nammor. I think it's the best hose out there, and definately worth the money.
Nammors seem to be the rage these days. Reminds me when I didnt have a hose one day and i found an old shower hose and cut it up to the right size and wow did i taste the difference.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:40 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

nammor is a good hose, make your own and it will be like one and work probably very well. i got a hose i need to try out sometime soon right next to me, gotta love hand made hoses. KM has a few hoses which are really just a good as a nammor if not better, sure they are not washable but its looks great and works great. just use the same one for similar (preferably the same flavor) and it will be one of the best hoses you ever owned. one good thing on the nammor is that if you got a nasty taste stuck in your hose you can wash it out and out goes the flavor.
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:41 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

i just got my nammor hose today and it works perfectly. however, it is pretty heavy so make sure your stem is long enough to support the hose. mine is a bit short so i had to tape it in there just so it doesnt get lop sided from the weight. other than that, really good hose.

making one sounds good also but im not a arts & crafts kinda guy.
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Yeah, i noticed wooden tips do have a "different" taste than plastic or Alum endtips. Remember, wood is porious and will asborb smells/taste/moisture.

But a good DIY hose or Nammor is a god-send; but as daedra said, they are HEAVY and somewhat stiff. Take care at first to not tip over the Hookah - you'll quickly learn how to handle them. They really are nice hoses, well worth either the time of construction or the price (as in the Nammor).

And as to WHY your MYA still rusted with no water ran inside - water vapor from the smoke. As well as when you blow thru the hose (base clearing and clean-out). It condenses inside the hose, so if there's a leak in the plastic lining (or no lining) the steel coil inside the hose will rust.

KM hoses are leather, so I beleive they lack the wire coil (or atleast aren't directly exposed), but will pick up the flavors of the smoke faster (and NEVER should have water anywhere near it).
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

Dude! I noticed that exact same thing the other day... the raspy taste describes it perfectly.
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofrendo
Dude! I noticed that exact same thing the other day... the raspy taste describes it perfectly.
Yeah I know, weird huh?! I thought it was so strange...and the Cloissone hose actually makes it taste smoother and way better. It's so weird...

UPDATE:
I just got back from Home Depot. I decided to buy 10 feet worth of clear vinly tubing (non-toxic used for food/water). With the holidays around the corner, I can't be spending money on hookah crap. I still need to buy all of my family's gifts, and the wifey's gifts! I had used this idea a long time ago with a friends hookah when his hose rusted as well. It doesn't affect flavor at all. All you taste is pure hookah flavor and smoke. And the best part of it is, it only costs $3.68. At least this is a quick fix that can hold me off till after the holidays, then I'll problaby purchase a Nammor...
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
the Devils Playground
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to the Devils Playground

OKay i now need to make a new hose/ lol I need to decide what parts are readily available to me etc... I will post it as soona s i find the best combo. I think I will run out right now and work on that. Who knows maybe theres a Devils playground hose in the works if I can make something cool. I guess we could call it either " Tthe DPG hose" or " The Dnuorg Slived Hose". lol

But seriously I now want to make my own washable hose.
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I love the nammor hose I have and I use it a lot. I've not much experience the Mya Cloissone hose (maybe none) but I think that I had one that came with a Mya Gryro I got as a gift but I hated the rig and gave it away before I got much of an impression of the hose.

In terms of washable hoses I am very interested in the the J and R one but i've never heard anything about it. Any have any experience with it? I'm also interested in:

http://www.socialsmokehookah.com/ite...-13HOSELL.html

Anyone use it?

As to wood tips I guess I am of mixed feelings in that I know they absorb flavour which is bad yet for some reason I really enjoy the feel of the wood in my mouth and i've had countless great sessions with old fashioned Syrian hoses so my experience tells me wood tips are fine while my mond tells me they can't be any good. Strange.
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
I really enjoy the feel of the wood in my mouth
dont we all? but still, i prefer my nammor hose to anything ive tribed before. i only notice a few problems with it:

-its stiff, meaning that it takes a while for it to be able to bend without knocking the hookah over. when i first got it i would just smoke with it by myself or with a friend.

-its heavy so if you have a small hookah or a small hose port like me, beware.

-new smokers tend to not use the handle and instead hold it by the detachable mouthpiece.

as for cleaning, no problems, just run some water down it, plug the ends, and shake it back and forth, no problems.
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra

-new smokers tend to not use the handle and instead hold it by the detachable mouthpiece.
I bet the n00bs look stupid holding it like that.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmaddog
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra

I bet the n00bs look stupid holding it like that.
i was going to write noobs! but instead i decided to go with a more neutral term like "new smokers". yea they do look stupid, i tell them, hey, hold it right there its much easier but they cant resist holding it at the mouthpiece
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook