Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah Art Experiment

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Default Hookah Art Experiment

I won't bore you with details too much but suffice to say that it's a project that I hope someday will become a fixture in a hookah bar somewhere. I'd like to find a unique and interesting way to make the hookah smoke more a part of the lounge experience rather than just the by-product of hookah.

I need input on the cheapest way to find a decent length hookah stem (I have the first one, a KM exotica with a messed up purge), I've been keeping an eye on trades and clearance on vendor sites but since I'm pretty much gonna dismember the stem I don't want to spend 50 bucks on it, (especially considering I might FUBAR it).

So anyone got any suggestions on where I can find a hookah stem really cheap? It doesn't have to look phenominal it just needs to be un-bent and functional within reason (leaks, ok) and be similar in connective dimensions (stem-base junction / hose port / stem-bowl junction) to a standard eygptian.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Sykotik
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sykotik Send a message via MSN to Sykotik Send a message via Yahoo to Sykotik
Default Re: Hookah Art Experiment

Best thing to do is just ask members for rusted stems they don't want anymore. I'm sure they will sell or give you the stem.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Sounds like a plan... Anyone have any rusted/old eygptian sized stems they would be willing to part with?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

bro i'm hoping to own a lounge in a few years, so keep me posted and we'll see what happens
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

I will for sure, my friend and I have been designing a lounge concept for quite sometime so we actually have a pretty cool concept...
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

is it going to be like one fixture, like a centerpiece? (some bars have like the 4ft tall hookah in the center of their lounge) is it something like that?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

You know, I hate most of the hookah bars here in the US. They are dark, small, crowded, and the music is very loud. I would love to see a hookah bar that looks like starbucks where you can sit and enjoy reading a newspaper while smoking a nice bowl of Nakhla DA in a clean environment.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

chad - It will hopefully be a center piece to group of maybe 10 people or so, it won't be a one-and-only deal but it won't entirely replace stand-alones either.

thunder - SoCal is particularly afflicted with the hookah/rave bar (I don't get it)... So that's what you're talking about is what we're keeping in mind, we'd like something very laid-back, but with a great atmosphere and energy without the loud/crazy music. Somewhere where the art on the walls and design of the place can actually be appreciated and talked about.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

im not fully sure what your going for so not sure if this is an option but you could honestly make your own, ya it takes time but its not to expensive for the materials. you could spin the sections on a lathe (fast but more expensive) or raise the forms (cheaper but takes more time). granted all that requires some tools and to acquire some skill but if its an art piece it would be worth it. you might even be able to talk to local artists (if you can convince them to make a few hookahs and pitch it right you might get the work very cheap to have the center piece act as advertising for them)

-matt
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

thanks matt, yea, the apparatus is the part I'm really into designing especially since (for hookah bar applications) it would probably b better to make something that would fit the hookahs a bar would be buying
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
You know, I hate most of the hookah bars here in the US. They are dark, small, crowded, and the music is very loud. I would love to see a hookah bar that looks like starbucks where you can sit and enjoy reading a newspaper while smoking a nice bowl of Nakhla DA in a clean environment.
Im with you on that one, the last hookah bar i went to was like a night club DJ and other crap. People dancing over, priced bowls, and a bunch of moochers. I want to just sit drink tea or coffee and enjoy.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

sounds like fire and ice
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

there are indeed some terrible hookah/raves out there, but what hurts me is no one put effort into the other type, the chill-out-drink-something-and-chat type of hookah bars are always so underdone and thus underpopulated...
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:36 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

Theres a place in Kansas City that has the more laid back, lounge atmosphere, but only at certain hours and on certain days. If it's slow it's amazing, completely laid back with some mint tea and hummus. Later on in the evenings and during friday and saturday nights its packed and too loud to hear you're own thoughts. I would try to keep the table space to a medium just to control noise. Most people frequenting these places don't understand it's not about having 20 people to 3 pipes and screaming across the room to say hi to a friend. The atmosphere tends to shift to a more college hang out spot, not somewhere to relax.
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

maybe something like live jazz would complement a laid-back chill atmosphere
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

we have a pretty chill modern lounge back home, it can get a bit loud but not too bad. sundays they have movie nights too but its pretty chill. just no fresh food.

there was a little coffee shop here ran by some middle easterners that had hookah that was pretty good, very very chill, rarely many people in it but i think it shut down
-matt
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:46 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmaven View Post
there are indeed some terrible hookah/raves out there, but what hurts me is no one put effort into the other type, the chill-out-drink-something-and-chat type of hookah bars are always so underdone and thus underpopulated...

One word for you as to why most are not this way.... Hipsters. Nuf said?

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
One word for you as to why most are not this way.... Hipsters. Nuf said?
Agreed, however I frequent a private cigar club as well and the membership is definitely not as old as you'd think, plenty of young professionals and even college age guys and everyone respects the established style of the club... why not hookah?
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
paulk
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to paulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmaven View Post
Agreed, however I frequent a private cigar club as well and the membership is definitely not as old as you'd think, plenty of young professionals and even college age guys and everyone respects the established style of the club... why not hookah?
Its not the age Mack, its truly the "I want to follow the crowd because I can't think for myself" syndrome. Many of the younger generation have decided to be "above the influence" for peer pressure in general. If there were only more of them that would follow this example beginning in Elementary school maybe the world become a better place..... There I go dreaming again.

At my age being cynical and sarcastic is just making small talk.
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Its not the age Mack, its truly the "I want to follow the crowd because I can't think for myself" syndrome. Many of the younger generation have decided to be "above the influence" for peer pressure in general. If there were only more of them that would follow this example beginning in Elementary school maybe the world become a better place..... There I go dreaming again.
I hear ya man. I was tryin to find the quote but I couldn't something to the effect of "the flock, not the individual animals, breed the sheep"
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook