Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Flavor Problems help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 16th, 2007, 02:24 AM
NoPeace
Hookah Newbie

Default Flavor Problems help

Hey, whenever i smoke i get plumes of smoke but no flavor at all. i pack it not to tight or to light and it doesnt burn. i dont know what i could be doing wrong honestly but i really need some advice. im smoking AF so its definetly not the shisha. i get like a VERY LIGHT hint of flavor but im not getting the strong flavor that ppl at this forum talk about. when i say very light i mean the smell of it pretty much. thats it
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Flavor Problems help

how long has it been since you last cleaned your hookah? i would say clean it if thats not the problem im not really sure... it still could be the shisha...
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:31 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I 'd say try another hose. I had the same prob, too, but i didnt have another hose to try.
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Try switching brands of shisha... Try smoking Starbuzz. Their shisha has a very strong pronounced flavor. If you get no flavor out of that, then you know you've got another problem elsewhere.
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yeah, the hose problem might be it. I smoked mint straight out my Bambino with a Mya hose...Then tried Layalina Black Grape. It tasted like Mint the whole session, only not as strong. Actually.. it was perfect....
But anyways, the hose still smells like mint and tastes like it.
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
NoPeace
Hookah Newbie

ive tried with a new hose, didnt work, and i clean my hookah after every use. sb is a bit pricey for me tho. it cant be AF, people swear by that stuff. ive tried fumari, al waha and nahkla and no success with that either. i dont know what im doing wrong. next time i do it i will take pictures and post so you guys can look to see what im doing wrong
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Wow... wait.. so you've tried all those brands... and get absolutely no flavor.. None at all? Not even flowery, soapy, burnt, sweet, or plastic? And you get lots of thick smoke right?
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Have you seen my videos on youtube? That I did for the contest this month?

Check out the "How to Clean" and the "How to Setup" videos ... and let me know how your next session goes.

http://www.youtube.com/hookahpro

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:34 AM
the Devils Playground
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to the Devils Playground

Dude we had this same problem for a couple weeks. Do this stop smoking!!!! Yes I know I will get bashed for that statement. But stop. Take a week off. Clean that Hookah even the hose. Let it sit a week. Yes as in 7 days. from there fire up a fresh bowl. I am willing to bet you have a taste buds issue. We had that happen at the shop. It was so bad. Nothing had a distinct taste. We stopped smoking a week. Yes it was a long week. We did not even start bowls for customers and explained why. Once they stopped laughing they felt bad for us and started their own bowls. After a week everyting was back to normal.

It could be you have bought old tobacco, it could be so many flavors in the hookah or you may have just worn the ole taste buds bland. But regardless of the matter if its the hookah or the buds you will have the problem solved. If you bought the tobaccos from a dealer thats not moving alot And yes many shops have stale tobaccos. Easiest way to tell that is if they have a large selection and move alot then it will more then likely not be that. But if they have say 1-20 flavors and are not in to their hookahs sales chances are they have old shisha. Old tobacco loses taste.

But take a week off. Try 1 bowl of what you have if its the same thing go to a differnt place get some fresh tobacco and load a bowl and probably enjoy the session.

Thanks, Neal
The Devils Playground
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Everybody gave good tips (clean the hookah & hose, try a different brand, take a break), but also try adding alittle cold water to your base (after the break - }, see if that helps. I often find if the taste is weak, cold water in the base helps bring out the taste more (but don't go too overboard on the "cold" thing - too much can kill all the flavor).

If none of these help.... I'm at a loss... maybe make a vid and post it, that way we can all see how you set-up & smoke and maybe offer more help.

Good luck!
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
TheAlmightyClaw
Hookah Newbie

All the above it great advice, and maybe trying packing your bowls a little differently. Make sure you don't push the shisha down, but if that doesn't work. I am at a loss of ideas also.
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM
hookahMaster22
Hookah Newbie

I am having a difficult time understanding what is going wrong. I understand your frustration. In my many years of smoking hookah I have never heard of a phenomenon such as this. You say you get lots of smoke but no flavor Obviously there is nothing wrong with the tobacco you are using.

It could possibly be your charcoal. If you are using the quick light stuff. STOP!!! This charcoal almost always alters the flavor of the smoke. I suggest using any kind of charcoal other than the quick lighting kind. Also be sure that your charcoal is completely lit. The best way to tell is if it is completely covered in white ash.

Another possibility is that something is wrong with the metal ball berring that goes in the exhaust valve. If it gets stuck you will get stale smoke, or if it is missing you will hardly get any smoke at all.

This may seem silly but I have known people that don't put enough water in the base. Be sure there is enough water so that the stem enters the water by at least an inch.

You may also want to try poking more holes in your foil if that doesn't work try poking less holes. I also fluff my tobacco every time before I place it in the bowl to ensure that enough oxygen reaches it. So that I get a more full and flavorful smoke.

If none of these suggestions work. My final suggestion is to forget everything you know about setting up a hookah and relearn everything. There are some great websites out there that have great instructions. I also have a section on my website dedicated to hookah. I even have a page about the setup process. I hope I was able to help, Good Luck.

Old December 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

i would still say get yourself a can of starbuzz x on the beach and try that, because if you cant taste THAT then you know its not a problem with your hookah. order it online too so you know its fresh.

try using a diffuser too, or just stuff 4 or 5 straws in the end of your stem. that usually helps bring out the flavor a bit more
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:29 AM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahMaster22
It could possibly be your charcoal. If you are using the quick light stuff. STOP!!! This charcoal almost always alters the flavor of the smoke. I suggest using any kind of charcoal other than the quick lighting kind. Also be sure that your charcoal is completely lit. The best way to tell is if it is completely covered in white ash.
You made good valid points... But I have to disagree with this one... I've been using quicklight charcoals since day one that I started smoking over three years ago. And I get TONS of flavor. Literally TONS of flavor. The local hookah lounge by my house has also always used quicklights for their customers. And the sessions there are always top notch with pronounced flavor. As long as he sticks to Three Kings or Golden Coals, he'll be capable of having TONS of flavor. Of course if he uses some crappy quicklights, then yeah, he might not get flavor.

And I've also found that Golden coals don't affect flavor one bit throughout the session. Three Kings might have a barely noticeable chemical hint in the sesssion, but it's nothing to cry about...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook