Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Cleaning a Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 7th, 2009, 01:53 AM
LoJack1150
Hookah Newbie

Default Cleaning a Hookah

hi, im new to this whole thing, and i was wondering how to clean my hookah.

to begin with, i have a mya bohemian stainless steel with a normal hose. i heard that i can use baking soda and lemon juice to clean both the stem and the base. but an owner said just running water through it is fine to, is he right? or do i do it another way. and because i have a normal hose, can i run water through it?
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:07 AM
xHARRYxCOLONx
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Cleaning a Hookah

like 1 time a month i wash my hookahs with lemon juice and baking soda but not everytime. just water and a stem brush should work for you. yeah dont, DONT, run water thru ur hose. it will rust. make sure u dry everything really good after cleaning also.
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Durable_D
Hookah Newbie

I was curious about that myself. I have a Sahara style hookah and I break it apart after every smoke session. I rinse it with water and us my scrub brush everytime but recently when I dry the pieces the best I can and leave it sitting out, I am seeing calcium build up or spotting inside the stem. I have only had it for about 2 months and I haven't done the baking soda and lemon idea yet. Just curious on some insight.
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:18 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Don't run water through your hose. You may want to look into either investing in a washable hose such as a Razan or Narbish. Or purchase a few more hoses that aren't washable so you can dedicate a couple for flavors that will ghost your hose.

I wash my hookah after every session. If I'm smoking fruit flavors a few days in a row I'll just wash my hose out and give my hookah a rinse out with some water and clean the bowl well. But if I smoke something with mint or spices I'll use baking soda and white distilled vinegar (but lemon juice works just as well) and give it a thorough cleaning just so the flavors won't contaminate my next session.

If you're not using a Vortex or funnel bowl you'll really want to clean the stem after each session to get any ash or tobacco juice residue out of it. And clean your purge valve well also. If you don't it will stick.
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM
LoJack1150
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
Don't run water through your hose. You may want to look into either investing in a washable hose such as a Razan or Narbish. Or purchase a few more hoses that aren't washable so you can dedicate a couple for flavors that will ghost your hose.

I wash my hookah after every session. If I'm smoking fruit flavors a few days in a row I'll just wash my hose out and give my hookah a rinse out with some water and clean the bowl well. But if I smoke something with mint or spices I'll use baking soda and white distilled vinegar (but lemon juice works just as well) and give it a thorough cleaning just so the flavors won't contaminate my next session.

If you're not using a Vortex or funnel bowl you'll really want to clean the stem after each session to get any ash or tobacco juice residue out of it. And clean your purge valve well also. If you don't it will stick.
well this person said that because i have a normal hose i can run water through it but if i swing it in a full circle so all the water goes out then it should be fine.

judging by what you are all saying, i don't know if the guy that i asked is right or wrong.
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:54 PM
xHARRYxCOLONx
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack1150 View Post
well this person said that because i have a normal hose i can run water through it but if i swing it in a full circle so all the water goes out then it should be fine.

judging by what you are all saying, i don't know if the guy that i asked is right or wrong.
he is 100% WRONG believe us! ur hose is going to rust wether u put water in it or not BUT if u do use water in it its gunna speed that process up by ALOT! just dont do it
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM
LoJack1150
Hookah Newbie

so what happens if i dont clean it at all? will the flavor stay the same in it?

cuz i plan on doing different stuff while still using the ones i like all the time. so i dont want to have a hose that sticks to one flavor and messes with everything else

heres a link to what my hose is, if it helps

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-5118-...od-handle.html

thanks everyone so far for helping me with this!
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Durable_D
Hookah Newbie

I can tell you from experience about the rusted hose thing. I bought my first hookah last month and didn't realize my cobra hose was non-washable( read the website I bought it from wrong) and rinsed it one time and it was over with. I was able to use it a few more times but when I used it the on friday I got a huge mouth full of rust. Needless to say its in the garbage can.

So what about the calcium in my stem guys and gals?
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Durable_D
Hookah Newbie

And in regards to the hookah and hose staining. I am no pro yet but from my experiences with my 2 non washable hoses and one washable. The non washable ones get stained by strong flavors like mint, lemonade, or other strong flavors. Even after say a few days or even a week they still keep that flavor whenever my next smoke session starts. Usually after 5 to 10 mins into my new smoke session the old flavor wears out and you get the new bowl's full flavor. In regards to the hookah itself, It will do the same unless you give it a quick rinse. I just do a quick rinse with water and use my brush on the stem and bam no left over scent!

Long winded yea....but hope it helps a lil.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durable_D View Post
So what about the calcium in my stem guys and gals?
Cleaning brush + baking soda + white distilled vinegar or pure lemon juice. What I do is run some water through my stem, dump a couple of pinches of the baking soda in it and then pour vinegar down it. It will fizz up and then I take my cleaning brush and clean through both the top of the stem and then up through the down stem. Then you want to rinse it really well.

LoJack, unfortunately there is no way to avoid ghosting save for buying a washable hose or a few non-washables that will be dedicated to specific flavors. My advice would be until you can do that would be to stick with one specific set of flavors. In other words, I wouldn't smoke a coffee flavored shisha and then smoke watermelon flavor.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
LoJack1150
Hookah Newbie

alright, it seems like i probably should go down and get a washable hose, cuz that sounds like a better long lasting deal

thanks!
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
alright, it seems like i probably should go down and get a washable hose, cuz that sounds like a better long lasting deal

thanks!
They are one of the best investments in terms of hookah accessories. I'd recommend either the Razan or Hookah John's Narbish. I plan on ordering a Narbish soon, but I also love my Razan.

Just make sure to never run hot water through the hose. It will loosen up the glue that holds the gaskets in place.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
esteban
Hookah Pro

Can't beat a standard km hose imo, if you have the luxury to have a stock of them for different flavours, like a mint hose, DA hose and a fruit hose.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
LoJack1150
Hookah Newbie

i have a mya hookah though, and for some reason whenever i look at different hoses, they look different in size and im not sure if that means i cant fit it in there
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:41 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
i have a mya hookah though, and for some reason whenever i look at different hoses, they look different in size and im not sure if that means i cant fit it in there
I think most of the washable hoses fit the Mya hookahs. You may need to fiddle around with the hose port grommet to get it right, but it should be a problem. Don't know about with the KM. I have no idea how large the diameter is at the end where you put it in the hose port.
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:50 AM
hyperionson69
Hookah Newbie

Hey everyone.. so I just got my km exotica today and I'm freaking out because I cleaned my hose out with water. Should I consider my hose as garbage and done with now??
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperionson69 View Post
Hey everyone.. so I just got my km exotica today and I'm freaking out because I cleaned my hose out with water. Should I consider my hose as garbage and done with now??
No need to necro post.
But dry it out as much as possible. Do some monster exhales through it. Swing it around (cowboy!). Don't exhales through it after, you'll probably end up getting some spit stuff in there from all that work. If you are crafty, you can probably do some fishing wire and dry paper towel. Wait a few days to use it. Then blow out of it. If you see some brown dust you lose.
Best of luck.
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:16 AM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

I use lemon juice and baking soda every few weeks for a few hours, The rest of the times its just hot water. I have a cheap hookah though so even this really does not help me much in the long run.
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
chopsuix
Hookah Nut

Hot water and a brush is what i used. washable hoses aren't that expensive as well. My local store sells generic black ones for 8 bux
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM
hyperionson69
Hookah Newbie

Thanks Scarcity! Kind of sucks to hit this problem after owning it for one day! Guess that's what happens when you want to keep your hookah spiffy clean. I've looked through the forum for anyone having this problem, and nothing. I guess I'm a real newb! Lol
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook