Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Question on the making of hookahs.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Default Question on the making of hookahs.

My wife brought up an interesting question about hookahs. We were smoking the hookah, and she asked me what the make if the hookah was. Meaning the material. II bought us a nice looking AF medium solid.

What she was asking me to find out was that the material of the hookah and that if smoking the hookah or handling the material it is amde out of will transfer lead or other poisonous materials to our child. Or if the brass in the hookah will hurt us or kill us slowly and possibly transfer to our child in some way.

Alas, i did not have the answer for her, so i am hopeing that you guys here on the forum, can shed some light on this.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Question on the making of hookahs.

There was a you tube video link somewhere in here about hookah manufacturing.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:16 AM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

The hookah itself is far less dangerous than than the tobacco and coals.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I am not sure but I would never smoke while my child is around. I was really surprised when I saw people taking their children to middle eastern restaurants where they serve hookah.
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

wel i really wanted hookah tonight so i said screw it. Normaly i dont ever though. She was way in the other room, and i locked my self in the office.. lol.
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
wel i really wanted hookah tonight so i said screw it. Normaly i dont ever though. She was way in the other room, and i locked my self in the office.. lol.
lol that is what I do, I stay in the other room and open all windows and it is freezing
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

yeah thats what i am doing as we apeak. FREEZING!
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

the charcoal is the most harmful part of the hookah.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:34 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

I don't think there is any danger of transferring any sort of materials from your hookah to your child. As others have already said, the biggest hazard is lighting coals and smoking in the home.

I have a seven year old and I keep my tobacco and coals far out of his reach and I don't smoke anywhere near his bedroom. That means I typically have to smoke outside or wait until after he's gone to bed.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

The only way to transfer the Brass to the child is to beat him/her with it the temperatures involved is to low to even begin to affect the brass. I f you are worried of the smoke affecting your child set one room aside for hookah smoking install an extractor fan close the door and the fan should create enough negative pressure in the room to pull clean air from the rest of the home and vent the smoke laden air outside. Smoking with a window open can be chilly but the cold air from outside could push part of the smoke laden air back into the house thus actually negating that witch you wish to achieve.

The Tobacco and coals should be kept out of reach off children.

(Strange we lock tobacco medication Cigarettes and Alcohol away to prevent harm to our children But leave the bleach, Draino insecticides and pesticides easily accessible in a an unlocked cupboard under the sink) makes one wonder
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

ok, but what about the materials of the hookah while smoking it. She was yelling at me the other night saying that the hookah is going to transfer brass and other metal oxidesinto our lungs and that its worse than smoking regualr ciggarets.
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

You can always buy one of those lead tests from a hardware store. They work well and are only like 8 bucks I think.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
My wife brought up an interesting question about hookahs. We were smoking the hookah, and she asked me what the make if the hookah was. Meaning the material. II bought us a nice looking AF medium solid.

What she was asking me to find out was that the material of the hookah and that if smoking the hookah or handling the material it is amde out of will transfer lead or other poisonous materials to our child. Or if the brass in the hookah will hurt us or kill us slowly and possibly transfer to our child in some way.

Alas, i did not have the answer for her, so i am hopeing that you guys here on the forum, can shed some light on this.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by just how fantastic people are in attributing risk to tobacco use but frankly this floors me. A narghile is made of copper, brass, aluminum, stainless steel or some combination of those metals and it is simply is impossible for the coals to release any trace elements of any metal from the narghile into the smoker. I've never even heard anyone suggest that it's possible that such a thing could happen let alone that metal from a narghile could somehow enter a non-smoker.

In any case, the whole second hand smoke thing is junk science at it's worst but like most lies people believe it because they hear it continuously. Anyone that is interested in the reality of second hand smoke should check this out: http://forces.org/Scientific_Portal/...vidence+Portal

Bottom line is that short of melting down your narghile and pouring it down someone's throat metal poisoning simply isn't an issue. The second hand smoke thing is also total BS so worrying about it is silly. Your child faces a hundred more serious long term health threats every day.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; October 9th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook