Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah indoors?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Pete
Hookah Nut

Default Hookah indoors?

So, most of my posts have been in the cigar section, and for good reason - I do not own a hookah, nor have I smoked from one. With that in mind, bear with me with this VERY newbie (perhaps silly) question...

I've been smoking premium cigars for years, but I would never consider smoking them in my home for the simple reason that I don't want my house smelling like a cigar lounge. I've learned a lot here, and have watched many member videos, most of which are seemingly filmed in someone's living room. That said, is hookah/shisha smoke different from cigar/cigarette smoke, in that it's odor doesn't linger as much? To me, it wouldn't seem much different, as you're still burning tobacco, but I wasnt' sure if the factor of the water filtration made a difference. Again, this might sound like a stupid question, but if you've never smoked a hookah, how would one know?
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Efactor
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Hookah indoors?

I actually smoke hookah indoors all the time, and I just leave all my windows open. Usually my whole house will smell like the flavor, but after like 45 mins everything airs out.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM
thefaded
Hookah Pro

Hookah smoke does not smell anywhere as strong as cigarettes or cigars do. In my experience, the smoke/smell lingers in the room for no more than an hour after smoking, and as the tobacco is flavored, the smell isn't unpleasant to me. I do try to have a door or window cracked open if it's not too hot outside, and usually use my celing fan for ventilation.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Jemmay
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Jemmay Send a message via MSN to Jemmay Send a message via Yahoo to Jemmay Send a message via Skype™ to Jemmay

I smoke indoors almost exclusively. People will walk in after a session and make comments like "Wow, it smells good in here" or "What kind of incense do you use?" Nobody unacquainted with hookah would guess that it was some sort of tobacco product.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM
thehookster
Hookah Nut

if you getting to can you smoke indoors without stinking up the house? sure you can!
my wife doesnt smoke at all and she would kill me if it stunk or stayed and linger in da house! but i smoke all the time indoors matter of fact i never smoked outside! and she doesnt have any problem with the little smell that goes away fast!

the only shishi i ever smoked the i can say kind of stunk was Zaghoul so if you smoke that outside you will be fine with all the others!

Last edited by thehookster; October 12th, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
paperkat
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to paperkat

honestly i smoke my hookah inside every time. I NOT ONCE have smoked outside
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:29 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

Hookah leaves a smell for a brief period of time, that's what I love about it. If it smells it usually smells good.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Pete
Hookah Nut

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies, all. I should apologize, as it seems this question has already been answered judging by the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of the page. Perhaps I should've made better use of the forum's "Search" option. Sorry...

Yes, basically I would be looking to smoke a hookah in my home during the Winter months here in Pennsylvania. A good cigar just isn't practical when the cold weather arrives. IF I were to get a hookah, I would do so with the intent of smoking it indoors, most likely in my finished basement.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I have ahd an experience lately that if yu burn the tobacco on accident, it will leave your room/home smelling like burned tobacco. lol However, when it doesnt get burnt, the smell is absolutely wonferful. I was smoking some tangiers on saturday night, and some freidns walked in and said the house smelled wonderful. lol. Then again, they smoke hookah to. The burned smell in my office did go away after a couple hours, and now it smells like the air freshener that i have plugged in.
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM
twinturboa51
Hookah Newbie

just dont light any ql indoors
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

yp same here, the smell doesnt last long, couple of hours at the most, i sually have 2 windows open in my living room when i smoke in there. the smoke is different to ciggarrete smoke and wouldnt mind the smell getting out coz it smells good!!
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

yep some on the charcoal smell does linger for a while and those quicklights smell awful if you light them indoors. if im using QL i make sure the extractor fan in the kictchen is full blast!
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Pete
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax0000 View Post
yep some on the charcoal smell does linger for a while and those quicklights smell awful if you light them indoors. if im using QL i make sure the extractor fan in the kictchen is full blast!
Thanks for the clarification. I was going to post about the "ql" mentioned in twinturboa51's reply, but I figured I'd better try a search first. Definitely stuff I'd like to know, as I am certain smoking indoors is going to be a hard sell to begin with (fiancee). I do have casement-type windows in the basement, but only one of them opens. Even so, opening them in the Winter for an extended period will kill the heating bills.
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

well i have smoked without opening the windws at times, just means that the smell will stay around longer no big deal. this sometimes happens at night when i dont open the windows in the living room.

just make sure that the room isnt too small and there is atleast some fresh air coming from somewhere
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM
SIAGCORE
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to SIAGCORE Send a message via Skype™ to SIAGCORE

I agree with Jemmay! I love the way my house smells. Its like a built air freshener, and my house is were i hang out with my freinds and family.
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM
uk_shisha_king
Hookah Nut

my room smells lovely!
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
paperkat
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to paperkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies, all. I should apologize, as it seems this question has already been answered judging by the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of the page. Perhaps I should've made better use of the forum's "Search" option. Sorry...

Stuff your sorry's in a sack man ^_^
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:01 PM
BDP
Hookah Nut

I smoke in doors all the time. Hardly ever smoke outside, especially with the weather in NC right now(cold and rainy autumn) I never notice a smell nor does anyone else after about 45 mins no matter what I smoke. Even if the shisha burns the smell goes away in the same time.
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:09 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

ehh i always smoke outdoors.. more enjoyable imo.. i wouldn't know if the smell lingers.. i only smoked indoors maybe 6 times..
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:53 PM
swaflyer1
Hookah Nut

when i was still living with my parents i would ninja smoke in secret and i would just finish a bowl and go to sleep and by the morning with the cieling fan on the smell was gone. and if it wasnt i conveniently left a bottle of fabreeze out, not to actually spray but to get my mom thinking THAT was the fruity smell.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM
shawnwhyte
Hookah Pro

I smoke pretty much fifty/fifty inside and out. I prefer indoors, because I can see the fruit of my labors, the clouds in front of me, as the wind tends to bring smoke fun to little or none. Though smoke bubbles in the wind are fun fun fun fun!
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

One thing to keep in mind is that hookah smoke may be higher in density and volume than cigar smoke, but actually contains less materials. Most properly used shisha and hookah tobacco's smell will almost entirely leave after an hour or so; but the smoke will not leave any tar/chemical residues on your home's walls. My mother chain smokes in her room and if you move a picture frame the wall is a different shade where the frame had been placed. Which quite frankly is kind of gross. I have smoked my hookah in my room more than 3 months now and there has been no build up from the smoke on anything.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Pete
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that hookah smoke may be higher in density and volume than cigar smoke...
I assume (or hope) that between the water filtration and indirect heat in hookah smoking, the smoke would break up and dissipate quickly. My observation may be way off, but judging by some of the member videos I've watched here, that seems to be the case. I've never seen a hookah video where there was that haze of smoke in the room that one would see with cigars. Many times, the hookah smoke looks like water vapor by comparison.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:46 AM
omrigo
Hookah Newbie

it is getting together much faster with the air and do not get caught on clothes and that kind of stuff and i say cause i smoke hookah here all the time
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Efactor
Hookah Newbie

OH yes! Quicklights are BADD to light indoors.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook