Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Help me! First Experience Overpacking Nakhla

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
smoonheim
Hookah Newbie

Default Help me! First Experience Overpacking Nakhla

So i watched both recent videos about how to overpack nakhla and i tried doing it but my session was hot and harsh the entire time, used two exoticas on a small mod bowl. tried only 1 at first but didnt get any heat after like 4 minutes, then i tried putting on another and it was just so harsh and gross... any help would be appreciated on how to not make it as harsh...
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM
fritz1
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Help me! First Experience Overpacking Nakhla

Things that contribute to harshness
Too much heat
Chain smoking, smoking too fast
Coals touching tobacco
Taking hard quick draws
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

I will only refer to the method I describe in my "over packing" video.

Personally, I have never had an entire session fail using this method, however...

You CAN still overheat the bowl. I've had this happen a number of times. One thing I failed to mention in the video (actually it got edited out in the interest of time), is that once I get it smoking well, I remove the wind cover. Every time I've had a burnt taste it was because I left the wind cover on too long. When that happens, I remove the coals completely and let things cools down.

I only use ******* Hookah natural coals, so I can't comment on the Exoticas specifically, but maybe two are too many. With the *******s, on the bowl in the video, two works well to get things started. On occasion I've had to reduce to one for a bit and then put the second one back on.

On a side note, yesterday I used the same method with a mod bowl that I have. It is a little bigger in diameter then the bowl in the video but about the same depth. I used Nakhla Sweet Melon and 3 CH naturals. It was the absolute best session I've had to date with this method. In fact it was near flawless. The session lasted two sets of coals and the bowl was cashed out completely when I was done.

Bottom line, it sounds like a heat management issue. Either that or the bowl wasn't over-packed enough, allowing some air space between the foil and the shisha and thus causing it too actually burn.

Hope this helps. I'm still feel like I haven't quite nailed this method down, I'm still experimenting and learning myself!
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:59 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

You need more tobacco.Cram it in there untill there's no chance of fitting any more tobacco in the bowl.Then poke up threw the holes from the bottom to mark were they line up.Then reem those holes out so you can see through them.add bout 10 more normal sized toth pick holes.
Also might like to double foil it makes heat mang. a little eaiser.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoapplesplease View Post
You need more tobacco.Cram it in there untill there's no chance of fitting any more tobacco in the bowl.
I was hoping twoapplesplease would weigh in on this. I first started using this method after seeing his post in the following thread...look at post #12 I think, there are pictures showing the method.
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...=exotica+coals
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:16 AM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

pack it normally...problem solved lol

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I'll admit, this is true! If the over pack doesn't work for you, don't use it!

Truth be told, with that small egyptian bowl and a normal pack, I get a perfectly timed session with 2 coals, about an hour long. The over pack gives a slightly longer session and better flavor. After last night I may only use the over pack with the mod bowl. That worked VERY well for me, much better than the small egyptian. I think I'll stick with a normal pack with the smaller bowl.

It's up to the individual to decide which method is better for them.

I've said it before, experimentation is key!
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:28 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Try breaking two of the normal size coals you use for your sessions into halves and using 1.5 coals around the edge of the bowl.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:35 AM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Its amazing how many people screw up nakhla.I could litterly pack a bowl of nakhla blind folded.And get great results.LOL

I'm gonna redue my nakhla packing thread soon.With 3-4 different bowl.and with pics.
shallow wide bowl--mya standard--regular small egyptian--large mod bowl

the shallow wide is still done the same that one was just a little messy.
The lining up of the holes first really helps.

I've done some recent experimenting with these other bowls and have made some interesting discovery's..The pics will scare people LOL

The best is the large mod bowl discovery,I basically pack it like its a shallow wide and cram 50g+ in it.Then reem out all six holes huge style so you can see through each one.A few more tooth pick size holes double foil and use 2-3 coconaras and maybee a wind cover depending on indoors outdoors.The smoke flavor and clouds are unreal.

Last edited by twoapplesplease; October 13th, 2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
shawnwhyte
Hookah Pro

Take long kabob sticks, and stick them down into the holes of the bowl before you start adding in the shisha. Pack it around them and build it up. Then pull out the sticks.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I've done some recent experimenting with these other bowls and have made some interesting discovery's..The pics will scare people LOL
Dude, I'm very interested in seeing that. PM me when you post the pics so I don't miss 'em!
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:49 AM
LemonJPooding
Hookah Nut

me to, that sounds really interesting.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:49 AM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

If you thought the egyptian shallow wide packing was crazy you won't belive what I've been doing to this large mod bowl.This is now my GOTO method for nakhla.every one will be like WTF!when they see these pics.
1.5--2 hour session, but longer for lighter smokers I tend to chain smoke alot.I also use a good amount of heat but I do not burn the tobacco.

I still love my shallow wide though for shorter sessions or zagol and khan el khalili

Last edited by twoapplesplease; October 13th, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:25 AM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Dee I went and found your video.Pretty good work.I would of used maybee another %50 more tobacco though.LOL!And used much bigger holes.
You poked holes right for what you did though.
Try using 3 half peices of coal on that bowl if you haven't already.
Also if there coconara's try doubling up on the foil.I find they burn too hot for every tobacco but they give off so much heat the double foil works perfect with them.
Actually I use double foil with any coconut coal.It just works better mang. heat with coconut coals.

I'm gonna do those pics tomorow.Dee I'll take extra detailed picks of the mod-bowl packing so maybee you can do a vid on it with the first test.That would be awsome.
I'm gonna catch so much flack from the pics if no one tries it and makes a vid.
Seriouslly Super overpack to the extreame and beyond with holes as wide as a bic pen.But once you try it you'll know why.
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:25 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Dee I went and found your video.Pretty good work.I would of used maybee another %50 more tobacco though.LOL!And used much bigger holes.
Also if there coconara's try doubling up on the foil.I find they burn too hot for every tobacco but they give off so much heat the double foil works perfect with them.
Actually I use double foil with any coconut coal.It just works better mang. heat with coconut coals.

I'm gonna do those pics tomorow.Dee I'll take extra detailed picks of the mod-bowl packing so maybee you can do a vid on it with the first test.That would be awsome.
I'm gonna catch so much flack from the pics if no one tries it and makes a vid.
Seriouslly Super overpack to the extreame and beyond with holes as wide as a bic pen.But once you try it you'll know why.

Double HD foil or double normal foil?
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Thanks!

I haven't tried 3 half pieces, but I can see where it would work better. They are CH coals. I will try doubling up on the foil next go around. That may help extend the session a bit.
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
smoonheim
Hookah Newbie

thanks for all the help guys! ill be trying it again tonight possibly, if not ill just stick to my small phunnel. i got the bowl from my smoke shop about a year ago, and have never really had much luck with anything really when packing it. Then i got my phunnel and for some reason i have never burned anything in that bowl. But ya i'll probably try again tonight and ill see if i feel like posting pics while doing so to see what both dee and twoapple's say!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook