Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Curious about...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Default Curious about...

Nakhla!

I tried some a week or so back and really it was less than stellar. (Mango flavor) I mean it was smokable, not bad, but nothing I'd spend money on. Flavor was dull and died out rather quickly.

I found a nearby vendor that has loads of the stuff, and I must admit that I'm curious. It has such a good rep around here that I'm wondering if that first bowl wasn't a fluke.

My predicament is, I'm very short on both cash and tobacco this week. I'm only going to be buying one 250 of tobacco, and I had my heart set on some AF mint, but then came across this massive cache of nakhla and curiosity is making me wonder.... Should I take the plunge?

Also, if anyone has recommendations on what flavor, I'm all ears. I've heard DA and sweet melon, but I hate every melon flavored tobacco I've tried and anise makes me retch... I'm leaning toward pistachio.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Default Re: Curious about...

mango isn't the best flavor by nakhla but i have tried it with nak lemon and it was really nice.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I was wondering if it wasn't something like that.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
cuellar
Hookah Nut

If they have nakhla orange then you cant go wrong with that stuff
its good

and from what ive heard the pistachio is an acquired taste
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

The only reason I'm curious about it is because I'm a sucker for pistachio pudding and ice cream.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Sweet Melon is definitely not the flavor for someone who doesn't care for melon. I'd highly recommend Fakhfakhina Fruits, Sheherazade Cinnamon, and Mizo Grape. Give the pistachio a try, though. People who like the nut really enjoy the shisha. I'm not a huge fan of pistachios, so I've never tried it.

Also, Nakhla can be sort of funny. I've smoked some flavors that were very subtle (sweet melon is one I'd consider less in-your-face than I had expected) and some that the flavor faded in about 45 minutes. With that said, I have a handful of absolute favorite flavors that have provided over an hour of flavor and clouds that were just as pronounced as when the session first got going well. If I recall correctly it was the Fakhfakhina Fruits that lasted over an hour and a half and the flavors were spot-on the entire time. Only reason I stopped was because I didn't want to heat up a third round of coals.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I'll keep an eye for the fakfakhina fruits... I'm presuming it's similar to fumari fakfakhina?
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

Apricot is great, the mizo flavors are good. The sweet melon is a staple in my stash. Cardamom is nice and complex as a flavor. The Earl gray is great, but may be an acquired taste. The lemon has been discribed to me as "pine sol" by my friends, i however like it. The orange kinda smells like a cleaner, but tastes great. And the coffee is kinda funky.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I love the AF cardamom... might be worth looking at...Love earl gray tea too...
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Can't go wrong with Strawberry or Mizo Peach or Mizo Watermelon.

The Mizo line is a bit more expensive, so I'd say go with the strawberry or regular peach.
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
I'll keep an eye for the fakfakhina fruits... I'm presuming it's similar to fumari fakfakhina?
I'm actually not 100% sure, but I don't think they're similar in flavor. According to what I've read online, "fakhfakhina" means step above the rest. To the best of my knowledge, Fumari Fakhfakhina is a red apple flavor without the anise taste. Nakhla's Fakhfakhina Fruits is a fruit cocktail flavor with hints of pineapple, strawberry, lemon and kiwi. There are other flavors in the fakhfakhina line, but I've only tried the mixed fruits.
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Nakhla Pistachio is very good. I think you will like it.
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I love easing pistachios but I didn't like Nakhla pistachio. You might wanna try a sample before bying a 250g of it.
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Okay, got the pistachio, and my response is thus: Not bad, but not mind-blowing. It suffered from a severe lack of flavor, there was only a mild sort of aroma to it. A good aroma, but only a ghost of actual flavor.

Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong. I've been smoking hookah for years and used the same setup I do for pretty much everything else. Here goes:

32 inch KM
Just water in the bottle. Cooler than room temp, not cold.
Teeny-tiny egyptian bowl.
Was using nour finger charcoal. When I used a big chunk it started burning, but smaller ones didn't give off much flavor.
Foil with a decent distribution of small holes, with larger holes around the edge.

Any advice from the nakhla crowd?
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:55 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

How are you packing your tobacco? I've found that in my personal experience (since everyone has their own "way" and their own preferences) in order to get a strong flavor from most Nakhla you have to lightly pack it down rather than lightly sprinkle the tobacco into the bowl. With my Egyptian bowls I use a toothpick or large safety pin to poke holes, and above where the holes in the bowl are I drive the pin or toothpick straight through to make a little passageway for the air flow. I don't poke as many holes with Nakhla as I would something like Hookah Hookah or AF either. I usually do a three-ring configuration. And I only use one layer of heavy duty foil with Nakhla.

The Mizo line is a scoche more temperamental with heat than other Nakhla lines such as regular and Fakhfakhina since it is much juicier. From my observances, Sheherazade falls in between Mizo and regular in terms of how dry it is. Most Nakhla lines, however, you can get away with three regular size natural coals without burning it. I tend to use two coals and a wind cover with Mizo.

I've also had tremendous success using my Vortex bowl to smoke Nakhla. With that said, I've been very fortunate to have yet to have a bad session with any of the Nakhla lines/flavors I've tried. If you want a flavor that is pretty dang potent I'd recommend Sheherazade Cinnamon. Even as a mixer it packs a serious bite. That and Sheherazade Chocomint, although the name is misleading because the chocolate flavor just isn't really that strong.
Old October 15th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
The Mizo line is a scoche more temperamental
You have introduced me to a new word...Im gonna use it forever now.
Old October 15th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
How are you packing your tobacco? I've found that in my personal experience (since everyone has their own "way" and their own preferences) in order to get a strong flavor from most Nakhla you have to lightly pack it down rather than lightly sprinkle the tobacco into the bowl. With my Egyptian bowls I use a toothpick or large safety pin to poke holes, and above where the holes in the bowl are I drive the pin or toothpick straight through to make a little passageway for the air flow. I don't poke as many holes with Nakhla as I would something like Hookah Hookah or AF either. I usually do a three-ring configuration. And I only use one layer of heavy duty foil with Nakhla.

The Mizo line is a scoche more temperamental with heat than other Nakhla lines such as regular and Fakhfakhina since it is much juicier. From my observances, Sheherazade falls in between Mizo and regular in terms of how dry it is. Most Nakhla lines, however, you can get away with three regular size natural coals without burning it. I tend to use two coals and a wind cover with Mizo.

I've also had tremendous success using my Vortex bowl to smoke Nakhla. With that said, I've been very fortunate to have yet to have a bad session with any of the Nakhla lines/flavors I've tried. If you want a flavor that is pretty dang potent I'd recommend Sheherazade Cinnamon. Even as a mixer it packs a serious bite. That and Sheherazade Chocomint, although the name is misleading because the chocolate flavor just isn't really that strong.
Thankya much! I'll try this out in the morning!

I packed it the same way I do with AF or Fumari, a light sprinkling and lotsa holes in the foil.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

coyotero, i thought about what you said about mango and my response, about mixing it with lemon. it was suggested to me at a lounge last summer in lebanon and i thought it was great. i also decided bc of this post that i should try it again. last night i mixed two 50g packs of nak, lemon and mango. smoked it and loved it and smoking it again as i type it. it will not be a regular daily smoke but once in awhile it would be good. i recommend you going to the store and picking up some lemon so that mango doesn't go to waste. let us know if i was right,
john
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook