Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nakhla Tropicana - it Vexes Me so...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Default Nakhla Tropicana - it Vexes Me so...

I ordered some Nakhla Tropicana from John not long ago and I noticed when I emptied the pouch into a storage container it had the weirdest smell. Not a bad smell, like it was spoiled, but odd none the less. I've read reviews and watched reviews and they seem so mixed. Some love it, some hate it. Some say it tastes like grapefruit while others say it tastes like orange. I'm going with white grapefruit, because that's exactly what it smells like. That bitter, almost "earwax" funk of a white grapefruit when you first cut into it. I was of the impression it was going to be more like a citrus medley.

Because I was hoping to try it before too long I opened the container and took another wiff and it was a burn to the nostrils, eyes and back of my throat like you would not believe. The odor is so powerful I think it could strip the paint off my walls. So, I've set the open container out and away from where my dogs or kid can reach it and I'm stirring it every hour or so. I'm hoping acclimating it will tone it down a little. With that said, I'm not so optimistic about this. Three hours later it's still just as strong as it was, only now my entire upstairs smells like a bitter grapefruit.

Am I expecting something of this particular flavor that's just not possible? Is it as horrible tasting and as bitter as the smell? Don't get me wrong, I like grapefruit, but I've always been a fan of the sweeter Ruby Reds rather than the white ones. If the bitterness comes across that much in the smoke I may just throw it out or give it away or something. Any thoughts, advice?
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy
Default Re: Nakhla Tropicana - it Vexes Me so...

i like it when i had some but the smell of that stuff will never leave your house if you smoke indoors. it took me almost a week to get rid of the smell of tropicana
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

i like it, like the reviews show, some like it some hate it. i have no problem with it and since i'm sick might actually smoke some to get some vitamin C

my advice, smoke it and decide for yourself
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

I just had a similar experience myself. The smell wasn't as strong, but it was most certainly "off". I've tried smoking it 3 times now. The first and second sessions were, by far, the worst hookah sessions I've ever had. In fact I had recorded a video of the second one (that I trashed) and in it I started to wonder out loud if my rig had been ghosted by a previous session, but that I didn't recall smoking latex. It honestly tasted like burning rubber. I got through the 3rd session, but it was not good. The taste is just plain strange, not fruity at all. I plan on throwing the rest out, luckily it was only a 50gr.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

I'm a huge fan of the Trop! But be warned, it is an extremely powerful moassel and will taint your hose in a big way. In fact, I have a seperate hose that I use just for this flavor. But yes, it is supposed to be THAT strong.
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

I heard this flavor should be left out for an hour or two too acclimate before smoking and its much better
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:02 AM
BDP
Hookah Nut

I truly love Tropicana. One of my favorites. I enjoy the smell and everytime I order I order some. Honestly, don't judge a bag of shisha by its smell. I would try it first of course.
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:29 AM
opticalshadow
Banned

its a very hard shisha to pin for sure, the flavor changes alot during my sessions and somke of the variations are good some bad, i prob wont buy it again but i will enjoy the paradox of the flavor while i have it.
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:08 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i hate this stuff with a passion, this is the only nakhla i will never smoke. except el basha licorice (arc sous).
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

I'm a big fan of the Nak, but this flavor... I really wanted to like it.
The smell was not far off from how you described.
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I'm not a fan of it at all.
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

one of the worst nak flavors (coming from someone who is not the biggest nak lover) but ive smoked my share of flavors. this and mixed fruit are probably tied for tobacco ive make my enemies smoke.

its just blah. ive had way worse from other tobacco producers but this, something about it, ugg. this will like abu said destroy your hose. i hope you really like it or have some vinyl tubing you want to use just for this flavor.
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

yeah, the tropicana can best be described as funky. It's like an unripened yellow grapefruit. if you want ruby-red, you should try Fusion if you don't smoke Tangiers. if you smoke Tangiers, eric definitely crafts the most amazing grapefruit.
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

It was more like pungent guava. But, NM, being a guava fan, it didn't produce the flavor or smell like mizo would. I wouldnt buy this again. Moving on.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook