Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Inconsisteny or mood swings?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Default Inconsisteny or mood swings?

Have you ever tried a flavor months or years ago that you remembered as great and tried it again recently only to be disappointed? It's happened to me quite a bit and not sure why. Two weeks ago I set aside 3 50g for myself to try something different, actually something that I haven't had for about a year. Nakhla Sherezade Cinnamon, Cardamom, and Earl Grey. I tried the Cinnamon, it was ok, just like it was a year ago. Nothing special, interesting, a bit spicy, but I will not commit to a 250g. The next night I tried Cardamom and was disgusted. I never tried Nak's version of it but tried AF's awhile back. I just don't like this flavor. At that point I decided I don't even want the Earl Grey and a couple of weeks passed. I had EG a year ago and found it hard to smoke, I didn't like the flavor and just wasn't too interested. Well last night I was bored of my usual stash and grab the EG....it was amazingly pleasant, lots of flavor, tons of smoke, it just hit right. I even used Hajo's new found Tunisian method at times.
It got me wondering. How many flavors have I written off as no good because of 1 experience. Abu Ronin advised me to try Nak Fak Mixed Fruits about the same time a year or so ago. I hated it, it burned, it was too strong, and I tried it several times, but now with time passing, and having more experience I am thinking of giving that one a go.

I've had this with other flavors work the opposite way. The first time I tried Tangiers Lucid Cactus fruit when it was released a few months back it was absolutely great. I opened one a couple weeks back and I'm not impressed. Smokes bad, scratches the throat and no flavor.
Not going to blame any brands as a whole, they all have their hit and miss flavors, but whats the deal with the same flavor hit or miss? Could it be inconsistency by the manufacturer or are there other factors, like, mood, or just getting a better setup going?

Even the great consistent Nak DA treats me well at times and bores me sometimes as well.

Whatever it is, my EG session last night was excellent. Now I want to give a retry to other flavors I had written off as no good.
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Inconsisteny or mood swings?

I think it has something to do with some flavors being inconsistent, and u r right, it can happen with Nakhla DA.
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

I have noticed the same things...I think personal tatses just change from time to time...maybee its your mood or a combination of what you ate that day,,the time of the season...Getting burnt out on your regular flavors and injoying something Different.....This inspires me to give old nakhla apricote anouther try with my next order....
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

I think everything stated are contributing factors to the phenomenon. But I will say that The same tobacco from the same stash does seem to have subtle changes in taste and pleasure when I am in different moods.

Pomegranate is the biggest for me, I have 1 250g of SB I have been smoking from since I got my first hookah and sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the awesomeness and other times I am just like meh this flavor it mediocre.
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM
hookahplayer21
Hookah Nut

Personally I think learning new ways to pack the tobacco and manage the heat contribute to this. The first time I tried nak sweet melon, I disliked it. A couple of weeks later I went back to it and packed it differently. It tasted great and every session after that improved. That's why I love smoking hookah, you always learn something new if you are willing to listen.
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

In general I have found 50 G of Nakhla to be disappointing. I don't know why but they always seem much drier and less flavorful than the 250's.
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
rlynge
Hookah Nut

I think it is a little of everything john. I feel that way too!!!
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
In general I have found 50 G of Nakhla to be disappointing. I don't know why but they always seem much drier and less flavorful than the 250's.
Agree. The sample 50grams u get with orders and such I usually just give to friends as garbage.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I could list the whole AF line, grape, streawberry bubblegum i used to like a yr or so ago, but now i cant smoke it.

Same for AF cocktail used to have way to much anise flavour but recently it has none that was a good change
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
luqyno1
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
I could list the whole AF line, grape, streawberry bubblegum i used to like a yr or so ago, but now i cant smoke it.

Same for AF cocktail used to have way to much anise flavour but recently it has none that was a good change

same.........i mean recently all the new batches of AF are very substandard (excluding cherry) but i got a 250g tub from sum shop i passed in dewsbury called arabian gifts of something, and the production date was june 08 and it was absolutely amazing, i mean mounds of smoke..........full flavour........and uber smooth........must remember to go down and get some more.........he had quite a range of flavours with old production dates aswell
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

I thought this thread was talking about women before I opened it.
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
swaflyer1
Hookah Nut

i tried AF cafe latte a while back and loved every hit of the 50 g i had.

fast forward a couple months and i tried it again and found it was way too sweet for my liking. it could be batch issues but i think theres just times when we are in the mood for something and times when we are not.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Efactor
Hookah Newbie

i know exactly what you mean. i feel the same way all the time and jsut yesterday i opened a new can of hookah-hookah irish creme and was very dissapointed. i bought a 250g can because my previous experience with the irish creme hookah shots were amazing but apparently it sucks now.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

very true. it can be both. some times u feel for something minty after dinner but if you smoke hookah in the morning you could feel for some thing with coffee in it. also 50g packs are always less dry than bigger packages.

HP Feedback - http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hlight=abzy786
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Pete
Hookah Nut

I've had this same experience with certain cigars. Perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but I've noticed the food and/or drink I've had prior to smoking has altered the flavors I pick up on from a cigar. May not be the same for shisha.
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM
insaneyanish
Hookah Newbie

Hmm, I don't have much experience with a lot of different shisha, but from what I've seen on this forum, this is fairly common. It would explain a lot of the people complaining about Starbuzz and Nahkla inconsistencies. Does anyone know about industrial shisha production enough to touch up on what would cause these inconsistencies?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook