Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

are there hookahs better then KMs ?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 18th, 2009, 09:18 PM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

Default are there hookahs better then KMs ?

also....how come on my km tray its spelled khalil mamon?
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX
Default Re: are there hookahs better then KMs ?

to answer your question.... the hookah pipe isn't the only thing that gives you a successful session. There are other factors like the way you prep it. My QT beasted my KM Pear if I set it up correctly.

and #2 Remember it is imported from Egypt. Where did you purchase it from? I doubt that chinese knockoffs would spend the extra time and money to make such engravings.

Last edited by FusionX; October 18th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM
xHARRYxCOLONx
Hookah Nut

its all really preference... and KM is spelled like that on the trays so ur good.
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

My answer is yes, there are better hookahs than Khalil Mamoon but they are not available in the US.
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Depends on what you want really. For some a KM is perfect while others prefer a certain brand. I have seen KMs that did not meet my standards while I have seen some that went beyond. For some solid metal is best while others prefer the hollow stems.

Then there is always the subject of custom built hookahs that are individually hand crafted to be beautiful and functional. Those are rare and extremely expensive.
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaganoush123 View Post
also....how come on my km tray its spelled khalil mamon?
First off I hate you for potentially starting a KM vs war haha
(please note, i really do not hate you)

Second off,

KM is spelled out in tons of ways, remember its arabic, and they just dont care how it comes out in english.

third:

I love my 2 current KMs and the KM i recently sold,
But I love my AF 28" more, it just smokes better for me.

Basically, you have to consider this, what kind of draw do you want, believe it or not, many people do not want a wide open draw, some of us like a little bit of restriction. also consider construction and style.

so yes, there are, but it depends on what you like. my 26" nour le smokes better than my new km bahriyah.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
First off I hate you for potentially starting a KM vs war haha
(please note, i really do not hate you)

Second off,

KM is spelled out in tons of ways, remember its arabic, and they just dont care how it comes out in english.

third:

I love my 2 current KMs and the KM i recently sold,
But I love my AF 28" more, it just smokes better for me.

Basically, you have to consider this, what kind of draw do you want, believe it or not, many people do not want a wide open draw, some of us like a little bit of restriction. also consider construction and style.

so yes, there are, but it depends on what you like. my 26" nour le smokes better than my new km bahriyah.
I second the nour statement.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:24 AM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

niceee
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:13 AM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Tamseh aren't bad I say they're right up there with KM same with a few syrians
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I second the nour statement.
I third that, i find that the KM draw is so wide there isnt enough smoke to accomodate for it so its not enjoyabe whatsoever because the flavour of the smoke is just hollow if that makes sense whereas with the nour its a little bit restricted so the smoke is full and so is the flavour. Im going to try the overpack method thats been mentinoed lately to see if that helps.

Last edited by Luv2Smoke; October 19th, 2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:06 AM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

yeah its all down to personal pref, better in what way? id rate my mya over my Km for quite a few reasons. like its easier to clean, it has some restriction to the draw etc. it all comes down to personal preference, try a few and see what you think
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

In terms of smokeability - probably not, all the top end pipes smoke very well

In terms of construction - Oh yeah.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Theres is no BEST, best is a term that is subjective to your list of preferences in a hookah and it's smoking traits. So what is best for one person is not or might not be best for someone else.
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Smoke View Post
I third that, i find that the KM draw is so wide there isnt enough smoke to accomodate for it so its not enjoyabe whatsoever because the flavour of the smoke is just hollow if that makes sense whereas with the nour its a little bit restricted so the smoke is full and so is the flavour. Im going to try the overpack method thats been mentinoed lately to see if that helps.
that was a beautiful explanation sir

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I've been getting into espresso and it took me a while to realize. It had nothing to do with the machine and everything to do with the beans and grinder! .. also mixed with how the barista makes the espresso (pack technique, etc)

With that said .. you can make a good smoke out of most hookahs. For my stamp of approval, I would stick to Egyptian and Syrian. After that it all comes down to the tobacco, packing technique, holes in the foil and heat management.

I can make my Temsah smoke just as well as my Khalil Mamoon. I use to have two smal Egyptian hookahs, and I could make them smoke very well! A lot better than my MYA QT.

The thing about the Temsahs .. I have seen 3 of them .. and two of them had broken welds. I am going to re-weld .. but I wish I didn't have to! It is the chance you take .. may get a good one, may not? Even my KM has a lean to it .. but it doesn't take away from it's performance.

I am rambling ..

Egyptian or Syrian .. any brand! Get what you can afford.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
well said Luv2Smoke. I used to have KM pear and the draw is very wide which means that my lungs can't accomodate the volume of smoke I am getting. That is why I've decided to try Syrian hookahs.
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I own a couple of KMs and while they are very good rigs in all respect there is nothing magical about them and plenty of narghiles are equally well built or better. In Egypt i've owned rigs made by Shisha King and El Ashrey which were every bit as good as anything KM makes.

My Iranian narghiles are works of art that smoke as well if not better then my KMs. In the end my personal favorite is my Arabica Sous narghile which has mazingly great built quality, flawless glass that give a session second to none. I also hav several Syrians that I prefer far more then my KM's. I like the fully drawn brass based construction, the closed common smoke chamber, the built in brass diffusers and I think they are better looking. In short I am a Syrian partisan when it comes to narghiles.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I love my AF. It smokes like a dragon, and its beautiful. I thnk i really like the look more of the AF and guessing syrian hookahs as opposed to the KM style.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
bnewman
Hookah Newbie

hmmm. I've noticed that some chinese hookahs are km imitators. One bowl that I saw had a "km" ashtray with the letters km carved in it, but the hookah vase said made in china...
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

good stuff....
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewman View Post
hmmm. I've noticed that some chinese hookahs are km imitators. One bowl that I saw had a "km" ashtray with the letters km carved in it, but the hookah vase said made in china...
actually some KMs are paired with non KM glass, not necesarrily your stem that is chinese

edit: to Sam, my temsah wheat is pure amazing and welds were great, and my trimetal i sold was a great one too

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
bnewman
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
actually some KMs are paired with non KM glass, not necesarrily your stem that is chinese

edit: to Sam, my temsah wheat is pure amazing and welds were great, and my trimetal i sold was a great one too
Thanks. That explains why some KM's are marginally cheaper than others.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
well said Luv2Smoke. I used to have KM pear and the draw is very wide which means that my lungs can't accomodate the volume of smoke I am getting. That is why I've decided to try Syrian hookahs.
No sorry that's not what I mean. What I'm trying to say is that the km draw is so wide that the hookah itself can't accomodate the smoke it's as if it's so capable of drawing smoke that the amount of smoke that comes out is less than what the hookah is capable of which is why I say it seems hollow. I don't think a standard Egyptian with nakhla and 2 coco naras gives off as much smoke in comparison to the volume of the KM bahriya and it's wide draw.

Last edited by Luv2Smoke; October 19th, 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
No sorry that's not what I mean. What I'm trying to say is that the km draw is so wide that the hookah itself can't accomodate the smoke it's as if it's so capable of drawing smoke that the amount of smoke that comes out is less than what the hookah is capable of which is why I say it seems hollow. I don't think a standard Egyptian with nakhla and 2 coco naras gives off as much smoke in comparison to the volume of the KM bahriya and it's wide draw.
That would depend on the bowl, packing, and moassel. If you have a KM and don't want a wide draw, get a thinner hose or simply don't inhale as hard. Draw is what you make it, assuming the shisha and the rest of the setup are capable of it.

As for the OP, KM has many different hookahs and despite what opinions are, they do differ in construction and not all smoke the same. For these reasons it's hard to compare KMs as a whole to the rest of the industry. KM quality also has seemingly become more iffy as of late, but the rest of the industry has already been iffy for some time.

Are there stems better than some KMs? Sure there are IMO. Are there stems better than all KMs? Sure there were IMO. Have fun trying to get a hold of one now though.
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by foibled View Post
That would depend on the bowl, packing, and moassel. If you have a KM and don't want a wide draw, get a thinner hose or simply don't inhale as hard. Draw is what you make it, assuming the shisha and the rest of the setup are capable of it.

As for the OP, KM has many different hookahs and despite what opinions are, they do differ in construction and not all smoke the same. For these reasons it's hard to compare KMs as a whole to the rest of the industry. KM quality also has seemingly become more iffy as of late, but the rest of the industry has already been iffy for some time.

Are there stems better than some KMs? Sure there are IMO. Are there stems better than all KMs? Sure there were IMO. Have fun trying to get a hold of one now though.
Yeah the KM pro hose does exasperate the problem but even the draw on my AF nour is much better.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook