Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

are there hookahs better then KMs ?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: are there hookahs better then KMs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
I've been getting into espresso and it took me a while to realize. It had nothing to do with the machine and everything to do with the beans and grinder! .. also mixed with how the barista makes the espresso (pack technique, etc)
I am so confused right now...
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

lol, basically saying, if you have a relatively decent hookah .. you can setup and manage a great session! Your hookah is just one piece of the puzzle. A lot has to do with coal management, foil technique, etc.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
lol, basically saying, if you have a relatively decent hookah .. you can setup and manage a great session! Your hookah is just one piece of the puzzle. A lot has to do with coal management, foil technique, etc.
QFT
Once you get past a certain point height wise, heat ceases to be the issue and the subtleties of the pipe dictate preference. I do agree that having a large downstem isn't really the biggest dictator of draw. Of course if your downstem is the size of a drinking straw this would be the limiting factor, but if you have a good downstem the other factors are going to dictate the draw more. Photolinger said it best when he said that your draw is only going to be as good as your smallest choke point. Hose ports and the hoses themselves seem to have a greater effect on the draw than just the downstem. The part of the construction that I take into account the most more than downstem or hose ports is the purge valve. Common/plated common chambers are just a no go for me because they aren't nearly as functional as a traditional chamber.
For me the biggest factor is the aesthetics of the pipe itself. I don't mind a slightly restricted draw. Since the hookahs I find appealing visually tend to be hand made have similar specs(decent guage and traditional chambers), I feel comfortable buying a hookah based on its visual appeal because who wants an eyesore?

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
foibled
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherEnigma View Post
your draw is only going to be as good as your smallest choke point.
This is definitely not true. Anyone with any knowledge of fluid mechanics can tell you this as can anyone who's ever switched between narrow and wide gauge hoses that have the same tip opening diameters on the same hookah. Simply put, flow is dependent upon the pressure difference and resistance to flow across the entire system, not just the smallest constriction. Pipe length, ID, wall friction, bends & radii, joints, etc. all play a part. Hoses make such a big difference because they make up the greatest portion of the system.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Efactor
Hookah Newbie

i think its personal preference. i dont think the KM brand hookahs are the best even though i own many and love it. i also like my mya saray hookahs as well with a tighter draw. as for construction, i also feel like my mya is more perfect and will last forever as long as i take good care of it.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Straykat
Hookah Nut

I have a strange feeling that my KMs will take the display stand when my QT comes in. They're a wonderful smoke, but a hassle to deploy and cleanup. Just another aspect of someone having a preference based on something someone else would consider less in their personal preference besides the pure popular performance provided by the pundits pipe purchases.

Last edited by Straykat; October 20th, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook