Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah VS Cigs

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

Default Hookah VS Cigs

I know this has been talked about many times but i cannot find the posts!

I have had recent discussions with people about how smoking hookah compares to smoking cigs and which one is worse for you body. This is taking into account the length of time you spend smoking hookah. Does anyone have any research on this ? I'd love to hear your opinions as well!
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Hookah VS Cigs

Only real study I've seen..
http://webfea-lb.fea.aub.edu.lb/aero...ilehpaper1.pdf
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

Here is a link for a post on hookah pro.
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418

I also did a google search and got over 3 million hits lol.

anyways here were the top couple sites for hookah vs cigarettes

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265
http://www.fitsugar.com/746612
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2456.html

http://www.thehookahlounge.org/2006/...okah-vs-cigar/

"[In a hookah] the tobacco is heated rather than burned. The hookah tobacco is generally void of the chemical additives found in cigarettes. In fact, hookah tobacco is usually composed of only tobacco, glycerin, sugar and flavoring. This is a far cry from the nearly 600 additives that can legally be added to cigarettes. These additives also transform into other chemicals when burned - a process that happens every time a cigarette is lit and smoked."

http://en.widipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

"Today's media sometimes suggests that hookah can be a more health threatening activity than smoking cigarettes. Research suggests that a session of hookah tobacco smoking (tobacco molasses) which lasts 45 minutes delivers slightly more tar and carbon monoxide (around 5-10%) than a packet of cigarettes.This study has, however, come under criticism for using unrealistically high temperatures for the tobacco (600-650 degrees C) and using arbitrary figures for tar filtration rates.This could possibly have skewed results, as the carcinogenic and toxin levels of smoke increases dramatically with temperature. Common practice is to keep temperatures to degrees which do not "char" the hookah; that is within a temperature range of 100-150 C."
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
flippy
Hookah Enthusiast

I find that since shisha does not technically burn it is less harmful for you, although hookahs produce a lot more smoke that doesn't concern me since its not burning and producing other harmful chemicals.

Cigarettes are different because they burn, and they have many ingredients. Shisha makers can actually list whats in there, where as cigarettes cannot.
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
mybrohshi5
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
just glanced through that and that looks really legit haha =) nice find
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybrohshi5 View Post
just glanced through that and that looks really legit haha =) nice find
Samb posted that originally. It's hard to read the whole thing!
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
mbwanderski
Hookah Newbie

thanks everyone! looks great
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
opticalshadow
Banned

as far as im concered its a topic tahts been beaten to death with little hard evidence on either side, its all mostly theroy or speculation with nothing backing it up.

i myself for my own reasons concider hookah more healthy, if only because i smoke far less shisha then i know anyone else does cigs, but in the end smoking in any form is bad for you, and if you do it long enough it can negitivly effect you, in essence even if ones proves less harmful its still a lesser of two evils.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:00 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I am the research. I smoke an average of two bowls a day and don't have any respiratory problems. I have friends that smoke cigarettes and hack up a lung every other breath.

But truth be told there are no reliable studies. Every group that does one has an agenda or a predetermined result. The only thing we have to go on is personal experience.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:45 AM
swaflyer1
Hookah Nut

to be honest, for some reason hookah is a passion of mine and i have a passionate dislike for cigarettes. theres something about cigarettes that just rub me the wrong way, health affects aside. cigs are just gross.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:55 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

the only thing worse in my opinion with smoking shisha tobacco (properly), is the volume of smoke. that's it.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:30 AM
bracque
Hookah Newbie

the ministry of health in egypt was started to talk a lot about the ill effects of shesha smoke before i left the country 2 years back because so many young people were smoking.

i smoked cigarettes for 12 years. i quit 8 years ago. i absolutely LOVED smoking when i was a smoker, but i was not so ignorant as to believe that it was not damaging my health. i knew each cigarette was bad, but i made a choice to do it anyways.

when i was living in egypt i probably averaged 1 shesha session every week. now i have a baby so i am probably smoking once a month on average these days. you inhale so much more smoke in each hookah session then you would with a cigarette, which clearly is not good for you. you also inhale tons of carbon monoxide, among other things.

i don't smoke often, so i don't think about it too much. just like drinking - moderation is the key. if you smoke shesha everyday, or several times a day, it is safe to assume you are damaging your health. i'm sure someone will post a report saying otherwise, but there were many reports that came out in the last 10 years saying global warming was a myth, which anyone credible in the scientific community now acknowledges is real.
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:34 AM
AmNite
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracque View Post
the ministry of health in egypt was started to talk a lot about the ill effects of shesha smoke before i left the country 2 years back because so many young people were smoking.

i smoked cigarettes for 12 years. i quit 8 years ago. i absolutely LOVED smoking when i was a smoker, but i was not so ignorant as to believe that it was not damaging my health. i knew each cigarette was bad, but i made a choice to do it anyways.

when i was living in egypt i probably averaged 1 shesha session every week. now i have a baby so i am probably smoking once a month on average these days. you inhale so much more smoke in each hookah session then you would with a cigarette, which clearly is not good for you. you also inhale tons of carbon monoxide, among other things.

i don't smoke often, so i don't think about it too much. just like drinking - moderation is the key. if you smoke shesha everyday, or several times a day, it is safe to assume you are damaging your health. i'm sure someone will post a report saying otherwise, but there were many reports that came out in the last 10 years saying global warming was a myth, which anyone credible in the scientific community now acknowledges is real.
actually a lot of scientists still think its a myth and now there is some proof that global warming was just a load bull****... Now back to shisha it is NOT the Volume of smoke but the quality of the smoke!!

Its whats inside the smoke.... what chemicals exist in there... smoking itself wont cause cancer its the chemical a e.g bla bla that will cause it...

Research from the past (before the WHO report) showed that because you don't heat the tobacco at cigarette temperatures the chemicals simply don't get formed or the carcinogens that are in shisha smoke are simply reduced.

The scientific reports you see today compare smoke volumes and ignore famous scientists research from the past. It was once said if you could lower the temperature that you burn a cigarette at (500 degrees below) the cancer causing agents would reduce... ofcourse its impossible to lower the temp... plus if they did it woudn't satisfy the nicotine craving that cigs smokers feel (reason why you dont suffer shisha withdrawal symtoms your not chemically addicted but mentally).

And yes the ministry of health in egypt talked about the "ill effects" of shisha smoking as the American world health organisation warned them with a report full of errors...

Check this website www.sacrednarghile.com

I believe even though I have no proof the worst thing about hookah smoking is the charcoal... thats what causes the most harm... I remember a research done that showed the carbon monoxide (or co2 I cnt remember) inhaled stayed for a maximum of 4 hours in your body... there was also a research that hasn't yet been released that claimed shisha charcoal carbon dioxide is the most harmful of all types in the world.... if there was a way to eliminate the charcoal (it would change a lot of things in the effects from shisha)

and dont get me wrong I think the scientist from that website in his critique of the WHO report... he explained how shisha doesnt burn but just heat and the health effects would be different.. they replied Agreeing (which obviously they lied in there report then) but then saying that the charcoal was harmful, which made hookah worse than cigs and it was shown in there research! But the weirdest thing was there has not been one single research on the health effects from the shisha charcoal (natural, semi lights) even on there research theres nothing

Last edited by AmNite; October 20th, 2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracque View Post

A realist, I applaud you. People will dig up anything to justify their vice, in the end smoking anything...ANYTHING...is bad for you, period, end of argument.
Hookah is no exception and the method and smoke generated is not good for you in any way. Think about it, you are inhaling ash, carbon monoxide, tar, nicotine, flavoring and coloring additives in the tabacco which could become toxic when heated past a certain point. It is safe to assume that you are breathing in poisons,toxins, carcinogenics and these are obviously not good things. As with anything, moderation is key and since there is no conclusive evidence that one is worse than another, it would be safe/smart to reduce the duration of smoking or the frequency of smoking to reduce your risk of cancer and other problems that are common to smokers.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited View Post
A realist, I applaud you. People will dig up anything to justify their vice, in the end smoking anything...ANYTHING...is bad for you, period, end of argument.
Hookah is no exception and the method and smoke generated is not good for you in any way. Think about it, you are inhaling ash, carbon monoxide, tar, nicotine, flavoring and coloring additives in the tabacco which could become toxic when heated past a certain point. It is safe to assume that you are breathing in poisons,toxins, carcinogenics and these are obviously not good things. As with anything, moderation is key and since there is no conclusive evidence that one is worse than another, it would be safe/smart to reduce the duration of smoking or the frequency of smoking to reduce your risk of cancer and other problems that are common to smokers.
I must disagree on you with a few of your points.

With a hookah you are not in any way inhaling: Ash (It is quite impossible to do so, being that the smoke is pulled through water which would surely hold down any particle matter of anything that happens to fall through the stem)

Tar: If a person is properly using a hookah pipe there will be NO tar generated. It is simply impossible. Tar is created when tobacco burns in temps at or above 500 degrees F. No hookah can burn higher than 450, again properly used. This includes the temperature that is created and increased when someone is taking a draw.

Colors and flavors (inluding Honey/molasses/ veggie glycerin): None of the components in this category product anything harmful to our bodies. All of them burn cleanly into either vapors or into chemical compounds more related to sugars and safely absorbed through our lungs.

I must agree that hookah is not "good" for you, nor is it an acceptable substitution for cig smoking.

But also keep in mind the physics.

Cigs/cigars Both burn at temperatures in excess of 550 degrees F, and can reach temperatures of above 700 degrees when someone takes a pull. Those temperatures destroy bodily tissues on contact in addiction to the additives in the product (most effected: throat/vocal cords/ avioli) Smoking a hookah ,generally again if used properly) GREATLY decreases the risk of developing forms of respitory complications.

Only 2 components of a properly used hookah cause ill effects on our bodies.

-Nicotine
-Carbon monoxide.

But being something that many people enjoy I would say that the way onto which we pump ourselves with nicotine is the key factor, not if tobacco in itself is bad for us...because we all already know it is.

Last edited by Sui; October 20th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM
AmNite
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui View Post
I must disagree on you with a few of your points.

With a hookah you are not in any way inhaling: Ash (It is quite impossible to do so, being that the smoke is pulled through water which would surely hold down any particle matter of anything that happens to fall through the stem)

Tar: If a person is properly using a hookah pipe there will be NO tar generated. It is simply impossible. Tar is created when tobacco burns in temps at or above 500 degrees F. No hookah can burn higher than 450, again properly used. This includes the temperature that is created and increased when someone is taking a draw.

Colors and flavors (inluding Honey/molasses/ veggie glycerin): None of the components in this category product anything harmful to our bodies. All of them burn cleanly into either vapors or into chemical compounds more related to sugars and safely absorbed through our lungs.

I must agree that hookah is not "good" for you, nor is it an acceptable substitution for cig smoking.

But also keep in mind the physics.

Cigs/cigars Both burn at temperatures in excess of 550 degrees F, and can reach temperatures of above 700 degrees when someone takes a pull. Those temperatures destroy bodily tissues on contact in addiction to the additives in the product (most effected: throat/vocal cords/ avioli) Smoking a hookah ,generally again if used properly) GREATLY decreases the risk of developing forms of respitory complications.

Only 2 components of a properly used hookah cause ill effects on our bodies.

-Nicotine
-Carbon monoxide.

But being something that many people enjoy I would say that the way onto which we pump ourselves with nicotine is the key factor, not if tobacco in itself is bad for us...because we all already know it is.
I agree with you... no matter what I prefer shisha over cigarettes... you get a fruity taste (unlike with cigs taste of burning tobacco), flavoured thick smoke (unlike harsh smoke from cigs), a nice relaxation feeling and also shisha does not leave you smelling like cigs!

Last edited by AmNite; October 20th, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

But also keep in mind that the effects of burning tobacco have been investigated in much greater depth than the effects of inhaling molasses/honey/glycerin as far as long and short term effects. These ingredients are safe for our body to consume orally but the effects that these have on the respiratory system have not been explored. We can harp on the fact that we notice less harmful effects when we smoke hookah than cigarettes because we're inhaling smoke that is drastically cooler than the smoke produced by a cigarette.
I do vocal training and I notice that both cigarettes and hookah have an effect on my breathing. With cigarettes its much more noticeable in the beginning and feels much more adverse. When it comes to hookah tobacco its still affecting my lungs but its less noticeable. No matter which I am smoking I still can improve my vocal ability and breathing range but with cigarettes its more of a battle to remain on an equal level, where as with hookah I still am able to make forward progress. Once again this falls into the "non-concrete" evidence category.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
manntis
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmNite View Post
actually a lot of scientists still think its a myth and now there is some proof that global warming was just a load bull****...
You'd be hard pressed to find any 'scientist' saying so whose research isn't funded by a concern with a vested interest in claiming global warming isn't happening.

The actual climate change happening is among the final steps - changes in sea acidity, one of the best measures, has already occurred on a large scale.

The scientific community is not some collective group-think (they often tear each other to shreds over things from Cold Fusion to just what role RNA plays in our genes) - and yet the vast majority are in agreement on climate change because the data is irrefutable.

There will always be naysayers, because it's such an alarming prospect - but not from those who study such things.

It reminds me of the 'debate' on evolution:

"Evolution is just a theory!" says the heckler. The reply: "So is gravity. I hope you float the f*ck away".

Now back to shisha.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
slydevil13
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to slydevil13

Damn hookah beats cigarettes any day!
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

You dont smeel like hookah, and burned tobacco cause your not burning it. The smell from cigs and cigars is caused byt the burning tobacco which generates a very large amount of tar. The tar is waht cuases the smell and nastyness.

Hookah is better than Cigs any day. Although i am very sure that any type of smoking or any type of tobacco product for that matter is very bad for your health.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook