Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nicotine in Bloodstream

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
DeezNuts
Hookah Nut

Default Nicotine in Bloodstream

So, I just got life insurance, and obviously they have to do the normal urine/ bloodstream. So I had told them I'm a non-smoker (nothing....besides hookah). So they set up my test date. I had cancelled that appointment and rescheduled. Well apparently that didn't get through to the nurse that was coming to my appartment. I had smoked some nakhla the night before thinking I wasn't getting tested. Well took the test, and two weeks later I get the results. Completely clean, and a fine physical speciman at that.

Very exciting, though I was a bit stumped considering nicotine usually takes 3-5 days to leave your system.

My 2 cents.... another reason why hookah maybe healthier than cigs
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
rlynge
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Nicotine in Bloodstream

The nicotine exposure is less than smoking cigarettes. It is the build up of nicotine that will get you.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
DeezNuts
Hookah Nut

Thats what I was expecting.... I smoke almost daily, but clean as whistle regardless
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

i thought it would be higher onsidering nakhla has 0.5% nicotine which i beleive is more than a few cigarettes? but yeah happy for the results lol
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

do they definately check for nicotine in the test? do you smoke nakhla daily?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
DeezNuts
Hookah Nut

i smoke nakhla daily, and they most definately check for nicotine. I have a couple of buddies that work for New York life and they reassured me about that. Often times the life insurance companies will screen it, and if they detect nicotine in it they will raise the premiums
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
ajax0000
Hookah Nut

lol well atleast its not he nicotine that keeps me wanting to smoke the nakhla lol
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

wow, nice.. the avagerage amount of nicotine in one cig, is about 1mg. Im not sure how that averages out to percentage. However, i am sure that the cig will carry more weight in nicotine and tar than the hookah.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

A few things:

1) Nicotine in and of itself is not thought of as bad except insofar as it makes you want to consume tobacco. However, plenty of material exists to dispute that notion which i've covered plenty of times in the past.
2) What ever nicotine exists in moassel will absorb by the smoker in far lower percentages then it would be in a cigarette since the tobacco is not burned.
3) How much absorption of what ever the smoke contains has far more to do with smoking methods then it does with what exactly you smoke. I smoke without inhaling since since I treat a narghile like like a Western pipe or cigar and recommend others do like wise since you have no taste buds in your lungs and tobacco is all about taste as far as I am concerned.

I've been smoking cigars, pipes and narghiles for more then 40 years on an almost daily basis and according to my physician my cardiovascular health is as good as most men 20 years my junior. My regular blood test that I take for my health coverage also have never indicated that the presence of nicotine and I regularly smoke brands like Desi merli which have more nicotine then Nakhla does by far.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; October 22nd, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:03 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

ive been in the same position as you deez, was smoking the night before the test in the morning, zero nicotine came up in the results.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
A few things:

1) Nicotine in and of itself is not thought of as bad except insofar as it makes you want to consume tobacco. However, plenty of material exists to dispute that notion which i've covered plenty of times in the past.
2) What ever nicotine exists in moassel will absorb by the smoker in far lower percentages then it would be in a cigarette since the tobacco is not burned.
3) How much absorption of what ever the smoke contains has far more to do with smoking methods then it does with what exactly you smoke. I smoke without inhaling since since I treat a narghile like like a Western pipe or cigar and recommend others do like wise since you have no taste buds in your lungs and tobacco is all about taste as far as I am concerned.

I've been smoking cigars, pipes and narghiles for more then 40 years on an almost daily basis and according to my physician my cardiovascular health is as good as most men 20 years my junior. My regular blood test that I take for my health coverage also have never indicated that the presence of nicotine and I regularly smoke brands like Desi merli which have more nicotine then Nakhla does by far.
i love how hajo says things and backs them up, and provides sources. instead of saying something that the world health organization "researched" or saying some rumor that he heard.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
opticalshadow
Banned

good thing they didnt see your hookah, i keep mine in the open as a display peice when not in use, i would have had to lie and says its some fancy lamp or something...
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

when i asked my doc if i was supposed to check smoker he said no so i just go with that. usually they just want to know if you smoke cigs, some times they specifically ask pipes of cigars but ive only seen that on one health history thing before. technically your not smoking any way, since its not smoke

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook