Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

just wondering

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Fidelis Mortuus
Default just wondering

hey guys,

so today im talking to my friend who is against smoking has never tried hookah and is VERY self righteous. and she keeps telling me that if i smoke hookah every day i will definately get lung cancer. heres the kicker.. neither she nor i know anyone that has gotten lung cancer from smoking hookah..i looked it up and the most cases of lung cancer originate not from the middle east(where hookah originated and has been smoked for centuries) but in the U.S where most of the tobacco products arent hookah but ciggerettes... so what i want to know is if anyone has heard of someone or knows someone that has gotten lung cancer from hookah.. i know its possible but im guessing very rare considering.. personally im not worried. i enjoy smoking 1-3 bowls a day at college with my friends and i know that there are so many ways i could die prematurely anyways i might as well enjoy hookah and let the good times roll right? if anyone can help me in this debate with my friend please let me know, im just tired of all the righteous non smoker attitudes!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: just wondering

There are no good studies and evidence is shaky at best. One of the issues with tobacco and cancer statistics is that if you get lung cancer and have any exposure to tobacco then the studies most often decide that the two are guaranteed to be related. It's like the world forgot that people who never smoke a cigarette and live their life on a mountain, entirely away from smoking still get lung cancer.

I know some people who have had lung cancer. Most of which have already died. Cigarette smokers of a high level. I also know 80 year old men that smoke multiple cigars every day and have done so for upwards of 60 years but have never had any complications aside from sounding like a broken fog horn.

I have never heard of anyone having complications from hookah.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Fidelis Mortuus, your self righteous friend is clearly ignorant about the health impact of smoking and it's very doubtful that facts will have much of an impact on such a person so the best thing to do is to point out that you'd rather not hear them sound off on the issue. If they continue to be in your face then that should be the end of the friendship.

If do wish to debate the matter it would be best to do so from a position of strength. What I suggest is actually read up on the matter and the best single resource is here: http://www.lcolby.com/ The bottom line is that the actual health risks of cigarette smoking is wildly overstated and a great deal of the research on the matter is grossly biased and heavily flawed. I could go into details on the matter but I am a bit pressed for time and I would rather not repeat myself over and over. Start reading the link above and get back to me.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hookah Enthusiast

I don't know anybody who got lung cancer from smoking hookah but at the same time, the comparison between the US and the Middle East is not fair because of an obvious reason. The US has better reporting mechanisms than Middle East countries, and has better medical facilities that able to detect cancer in its early stages. On the other hand, most Middle Eastern countries don't have that luxury and I am not sure if they report every case of cancer.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

While it's true that early detection of cancer would be lower in the Middle East it's also true that the overall existence of aliments attributed to smoking would be identified in the latter stages and the presence and certainly anecdotal evidence would be plentiful if the problems attributed to smoking were as plentiful in the Middle East as they are in the West. Conversely the West has a huge problem with detection bias so again read up on what Colby has to say.

Of course I can think of several nations that have as good health statisics as the West with higher levels of tobacco consumption that have lower instances of illnesses attributed to tobacco use. Read the link I posted since he provides mountains of info on the subject of cross-national tobacco use and health.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook